Hiya, new here

Whether you be new or a long-time member of the board, feel free to talk about yourselves and your interests in this forum!

Moderators: Nurann, Starath, Sinead, Optimal Optimus Primal, Razor One

Safeguard

Hiya, new here

Unread post by Safeguard »

So, I finally decided to join the forum after some lurking. I've seen Beast Wars, Beast Machines and parts of Beast Wars II and Beast Wars Neo; along with all of Transformers G1, some episodes of Japanese G1, all of the Unicron trilogy and the animated TFTM.

Note: the username is that of an OC (dolphin Maximal), not the Mini-Con.

Nickname: Safeguard (BWINT), DeltaSilver88 (other Transformers sites), Beldarius (dA, Tumblr, quite a few forums), Raiden / Death Goddess Raiden (on Saint Seiya sites and a few others).
Birthday: 19/3/1988. (Update: I'm in my 30s crisis now, woohoo.)
Pet: a ragdoll cat called Santtu. Used to have a red tabby called Lulu, but she had to be put down at 17.
Rest of my family: Parents. (Update: Used to have an older sister, but she died in 2007. I'm now older than she was when she died.)
One of my main hobbies: I'm a freelance English-Finnish-English translator. I have no actual education for it, but I've been translating things back and forth for years - I think I'm sufficiently experienced by now (I've already translated Adalmina's Pearl, a Finnish fairytale). I also like translating other languages; I've probably translated at least 12 Japanese songs into English (including Tanjou from Angelique Retour, Mimi wo Sumashite from Angelique, River of Freedom from One Piece, etc.).

Favorite characters in BW series

BW: Depthcharge, Silverbolt, Rhinox, Rampage and Tarantulas.

BM: Cheetor, Silverbolt/Jetstorm, Thrust and even Megatron in droid-mode ("I LIVE... I LIVE!! ...What kind of puny body is this!?" :lol: ).

BW II: Scuba, Megastorm, Halfshell and God Neptune.

BW Neo: Longrack, Cohrada and Break. Plus Drancron, as you can see from my sig.

BW comics: Ramulus (um... 'Romulus'?), Razorclaw and Ravage from 'Primeval Dawn' and Wolfang. Plus about all 'BW: The Gathering' characters.

BW/BM/Universe toy-only characters: Air Hammer, Sky Shadow, Frostbite, K-9, Shokaract, Snarl, Stinkbomb, Longhorn...

Oh yeah, that's about all... for now.
Last edited by Safeguard on Wed Apr 20, 2022 4:41 am, edited 6 times in total.
"Can you still see when your head has been severed from your neck? Let’s find out…"
- Drancron from Beast Wars Neo
Darkshadow14
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Unread post by Darkshadow14 »

Hello! I'm Darkshadow aka Dark. *HUGS* Yay another Quickstrike fan! You like Rampage too? Seems to be alot of Rampage fans. I am one of them as well. I am actually a fan if Tarantulas, Scorpinox, 'Strike, Waspy (Who doesn't love him?) Megatron, Rattrap, Cheetor. I technically love them all. But I'm a big Predacon fan.

Welcome to the board! Hope you like it! :D
Outtsyder
Ultra Poster!
Ultra Poster!

Unread post by Outtsyder »

(checks over Safeguard's profile) Hmmm... impressive. 8) It's not too often we get members with such a working knowledge on the Japanese-exclusive BW series (there aren't many of them in here... yet), but it's always good to get more. I only know a smattering of BWII and BW Neo (and have a couple of the toys), but I haven't actually seen the shows yet. I could learn a lot from you. Oh, and BTW, don't be too worried about turning 18. At the end of next month, I'll be freakin' 30...!

Welcome aboard!

Outtsyder
"We can't ignore the danger. We must conquer it."
- G1 Optimus Prime
"Power flows to the one who knows how. Desire alone is not enough."
- G1 Megatron
Optimal Optimus Primal
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
RPG Characters: Optimus Primal, Rattrap, Rhinox, Megatron, Inferno

Unread post by Optimal Optimus Primal »

Greetings, Safeguard! Welcome to BW Int! :D

Nice choice of characters there. ^.^ You probably couldn't tell who one of my favorites is... :roll: LoL
"Well, that's just prime!"
Sapphire
Site Admin

Unread post by Sapphire »

*waves* Welcome to BW International, Safeguard! I believe you're the first person from Finalnd to activley join the community. Very cool. :D I haven't seen BWII or Neo, but I would like to some day. Anyway, I hope you have fun here. :)
[url=http://www.bwint.net/fanclubrattrap.htm][img]http://www.bwint.net/memberrattrapclub1.jpg[/img][/url] || [img]http://www.bwint.net/fanclubrampagebanner1.jpg[/img]
Safeguard

Those Japanese shows... I've seen the subs of BW 2 and they're pretty good (it's actually a goofier show than Neo). BW Neo I've seen as a fandub by TF Cog. The guys there are almost as good as pros (update: a few of them have even gone pro, including Brad Venable who sadly passed away in 2021). If you're ever curious about the fandub of Neo, the episodes should still be on TF Cog's site.

Oh, and I've actually seen almost every show there is. Every episode of G1, one episode of G2 (annoying scene shifts...), the before-mentioned episodes of BW, one of RID, all of Armada, 1-35 of Energon, and 1-27 of Cybertron. And 28-52 of Galaxy Force (almost), nine of BW Neo FDP, 12 of BW2 sub, 19 of Victory FDP, one of Masterforce FDP. Then I've seen the Swedish fandub of Car Robots (2 episodes), and of course the official Finnish dub of Armada, Energon and Cybertron. Armada and Energon are actually pretty good in Finnish (I kinda love our Shockblast), but Cybertron tends to sound a bit crappy.
Last edited by Safeguard on Wed Apr 20, 2022 4:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Can you still see when your head has been severed from your neck? Let’s find out…"
Cheetor
RPG Characters: Cheetor

Unread post by Cheetor »

I wouldn't mind see the japanese ones in sub. Your quite in depth on your transformers. I'm jealous :P

Welcome to the board :)
I hate water -_-;

"Be unique, don't keep in line, being a drone just isn't fine keep an open mind speak your voice its your time...." -J.S
Optimal Optimus Primal
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Japanese shows, or any foreign country's shows, are always better subtitled. As much as I love all of the Canadian/US/Ausie voices, the show is never as natural with them instead of the actual Japenese language (or French, Poland, Russian, etc.). But that's just my opinion. My college roomy showed me enough Japanese cartoons subtitled to learn to appreciate their language more, and to read quickly on the screen while still knowing what's going on in the show. She has shown me the way. :lol:
Safeguard

... this comes as a warning. The BW2 subs I've seen are sometimes not that good. They have some grammar mistakes, like having 'are' instead of 'is' and all that. Victory and Masterforce, plus GF, subs are better 'cause they're done by TV-Nihon. I dunno who made the BW2 subs.. I really don't. And btw, NEVER download the dub of BW2 the Movie! Or if you want, you can 'load it. It's not perfect, I mean, it has the original dialogue echoing in the background, but Lio Convoy and Optimus Primal are done by the same fandubber, and he's got a perfect voice. In fact, the same guy fandubbed Optimus Prime in 'Scramble City FDP' and sounded just like Peter Cullen. That's saying much, I tell ya.

Btw, for some reason I like Optimus Primal better than the other Autobot/Maximal leaders. Maybe because he's a bit more aggressive and inexperienced. And I just loved 'Gorilla Warfare'! He was so perfect as a berserker, going 'Who wants some?' with the cool scowl (I must admit that that expression made me fall in love with the Bot.. and I even like the beast mode.. I usually hate gorillas and apes). And he has a perfect voice, too. I like it better than Cullen, actually. And odd enough, I think Optimus Primal sounds different than the A/E/C Primes. I think Chalk's voice fits Primal like a fist in the eye, but there's just something strange with the new Primes.
Optimal Optimus Primal
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Awesome, Safeguard! ^.^

Primal wasn't my first favorite. Actually, I don't think I noticed him that much until the first season moved on toward the end. I was all over Rattrap and Rhinox first, and then Rhinox took a little dive and Optimus moved up - I think because more of his personality was coming through and nudging me. I've noticed, however, that I tend to like either the leaders of the show or the wise guys. Or both. Eventually, though, the ape moved up above Rattrap. I think the biggest influence on that was meeting Garry. I had met Scott too but for some reason I took more to Garry. Maybe it was his voice; I love it. But he was very kind and an all-around cool guy. I haven't been able to spend much time with Scott. I only met him once where as I've met Garry twice. I can't help but point out voices from BW on other animated shows, or if I recognize them in front of the camera. BW really tipped it off for me to be so interested in following voice acting and movies and all that jazz.
but there's just something strange with the new Primes
I agree. It just doesn't sound natural to me. I don't know. It's still nice to see that he's into Tfs, though, no matter what kind of animation it is. And the other voices as well.
Safeguard

Oh, you've met him? We don't have any conventions here in the Nordic countries. I think none of the dubbers have visited Finland yet. I've never met any dubbers, or fandubbers for that matter. There is the European TF Convention, though, but I just don't want to go from Finland to Great Britain. It's too far for me to go alone.. I don't like travelling alone... but if some of the other Finnish Transfans went there, I think I would at least consider going.

Oh, btw, did you know that none of the Nordic countries aired Beast Wars? The TV companies said it was 'too violent', and have never shown it. In some way that's a good thing... they'd probably dub it, and frankly put, the Finnish dubbers are not that good. Of course, Energon Shockblast and Cybertron Landmine are perfect (plus Armada Sideways and Blurr, who were voiced by the same guy)... but the kids=terrible, Jolt=starting to adapt to him, Megatron=gruffier than Kaye (but sounds really good.. and has emotions just right), Optimus Prime=sounds exactly like Chalk (only a little more.. um.. relaxed?), Cybertron Optimus=a bit strange.. but fitting, Cybertron Landmine=sounds like Paul Dobson, Scattorshot=in episode 1 sounded just like Cox (now he has a low voice and a monotone talking style.. done by the same actor, though!), Armada Sideways=sounds a lot creepier than Dobson (I loved the Finnish voice.. gave me the creeps, but Dobson laughed better), Armada Blurr=he and Drummond were equally good (low voice was perfect, and so was a slightly higher voice.. but the Finn had a speech defect with 'L'.. like when he said 'Luuletko' which means 'You think so' or 'Do you think', he said two 'LL's during the first 'L' instead of one, and he said the U's as German Ü's... only slightly more U:ey)
Safeguard

Oh yah, I guess I should list some of my other hobbies and favorite stuff here.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My favorite authors are David&Leigh Eddings, Margaret Weis & Tracy Hickman, R.A. Salvatore, Thomas Brezina, Anu Holopainen (a Finnish fantasy writer)... from Eddings books I simply love the Elenium and Tamuli trilogies.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My favorite animes are Inuyasha, Ronin Warriors, Zoids...
And most important of all... Saint Seiya. SS is a perfect anime show of the late 80's - early 90's. My favorite characters are Dragon Shiryu, Phoenix Ikki, Andromeda Shun, Cygnus Hyoga, Gemini Saga/Gemini Kanon (I love both of 'em... Saga is a schizo who was evil in the first series, but turned good and committed harakiri to amend for his deeds.. Kanon is his identical twin brother.. they have the same dubber, too), Leo Aiolia, Virgo Shaka, Capricorn Shura, Libra Dohko (young form), Sagittarius Aiolos (oh yeah... he's very cool, although he died prior to the show... he's Aiolia's big brother), Aquarius Camus, Crystal Saint, the Steel Saint of Sky (the red-clad one), the Steel Saint of the Water (the blue-clad one), Perseus Algol, the Black Saints, Cepheus Daidalos, Kraken Isaac... I dunno, but I at first didn't like Saga. And then, POOF, and I love the character. Maybe because he was evil, but in the end when his evil side was destroyed and the true nature emerged... he really was one of the most loyal Saints - and I like him for that. He's one strong-willed character, if you ask me. Along with Dragon Shiryu who blinded himself by stabbing himself in the eyes with his fingers, in order to fight a guy who had Medusa's face on his shield... the one face that had turned Shun and Seiya into stone. By damaging his eyes Shiryu didn't see the shield and was able to defeat Perseus Algol. But his eyesight was lost. Poor guy... :( Oh, Wikipedia just told this: He blinded himself in more than one occasion to defeat his opponents, most noticed was the battle against the shield of Medusa.

This is Shiryu when he had his eyesight: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Shiryu.jpg

And this is Shiryu after he lost it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Evolution_Shiryu.jpg
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Then my favorite animal is the wolf. And from the mythical animals the best are sphinxes, dragons, griffins and unicorns, along with Pegasus and Sleipnir (the eight-legged horse of the Norse mythology).
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My favorite music... is all. I like bands/artists from Bryan Adams to Metallica to Westlife. Yeah. And Vangelis, too.
One of my favorite hobbies is writing. I'm actually writing a story of my own right now, called "The Battle For Yreland". It was coming along fine until our old computer got Alzheimer and crashed. It's a pain to get the fic from my floppy disks, because they're packed.. and XP can't open floppy disks packed with DriveSpace3. GRAR! :evil:
Here's one of my favorite funny things:

http://camwyn.livejournal.com/328358.html

That's "Silmarillion in a 1000 words". I really love the 'Grar'-parts and the things with Melkor. One of the best is Melkor going "Hu hu hu.". The parts with Feanor's sons are also side-splitting. Especially the parts where they curse, and the ones where the other jumps into chasm and the other chucks his 'shiny' into sea.

I think this doesn't exist anymore, but I remember someone writing Silmarillion parody and it said:

'...people were living on this island, but somebody pulled the plug, and it sank.' :lol:
Yup, there the stuff was for now.
Safeguard

Oh god, reading all of my old posts years later and I'm cringing so much. I sounded like an idiot when I was 18.

SO. Anyway, I'm not dead yet. I still pop by to lurk every now and then, but don't post much - probably because I fell off the whole Transformers wagon a long time ago. My interests have mostly shifted to another mecha franchise (Super Robot Wars) during the past nine years.

Note: I was 17 going on 18 when I joined this forum, now I'm 34. Kind of wild to think it's been that many years already.
Phoenix
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
RPG Characters: Nemesis,Aurora,Zodiac

Unread post by Phoenix »

Yep, it's crazy how the years just fly by! Sometimes I wish I could slow them down a bit.. I hope all is well!!
Nurann
Site Admin

Unread post by Nurann »

I'm with you on the lurking/mind blowing changes of time.

I was 14 and now 34, with a 5 month old baby.

I hope you're doing well, too ;)
~Nurannoniel Amruniel ~ Blessed Be~