Botcon 2007

A place for inactive but important threads to be kept for reference.

Moderators: Nurann, Starath, Sinead, Optimal Optimus Primal, Razor One

Starath
Site Admin

Unread post by Starath »

Hrrm. Well, I would like to go, but it'd be a battle and a half to get enough cash and getting my parents to agree with me getting on a plane.

(for anyone out of the know, it was a MIRACLE I was allowed to go to this year's Gathering)

That and if next year's Gathering is in the summer in Florida, I might spend all I got to get there. Provided I have anything by then. If I go there. O_o

Yeah. I may very well be one of those last-minute ZOMG I'm COMING people again. But I hope not. Getting everything ready in a week was insane.

Here's hoping for another adventure again...

--Starath :mrgreen:
"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
--Adam Savage, Mythbusters

[img]http://www.bwint.net/megfanclubbanner3.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.bwint.net/memberdcfanclub.jpg[/img]

"You're... [i]real![/i]"
Sinead

Unread post by Sinead »

Okay, here's the deal on the flights and whatnot.

If you live in the US, fly into Providence. The hotel that I spotted was literally a stone's throw away from the airport. It might be a bit noisy with the planes landing, but at least it's cheap.

If you're coming from other countries, fly into Boston. I'll be able to drive by then, and I can get you. Also if you're planning to fly into Logan International Airport in Boston, then try to book to come in on Wednesday. That way, I'll only have to make one trip. My Mum has a van that I should be able to borrow.

Just posting this to let everyone know. Logan is an international airport, while Providence is more of a "local" airport.
Uncle Iroh: I know you're not supposed to cry over spilled tea, but *cries* it's just so sad!
Landray DC

Unread post by Landray DC »

If anybody between Florida and Rhode Island needs to be picked up, Rade and I are travelling by my *regrettably* small car. We *might* be able to pick someone up iff'n they need a ride to Botcon. :3 zomg next year is going to be so exciting. XD
[img]http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k305/DepthChargeGraffix/DCsig.jpg[/img]
Sinead

Unread post by Sinead »

So here's a bit of an update:

Hacker will be staying up in Boston a bit later than Botcon, and we'll be seeing the movie together at a great sadium-seating-style theater. A few others are possibly staying a bit longer in the area, and there's a cheap hotel ($76 a night with included wireless capabilities) down the street from me. So if there's any others who are thinking that it'd be a cool idea, drop me a line, or lemme know ahead of time. I'm planning two trips into Boston. One on Monday (dunno what for, yet), the other on Tuesday to see Boston's Quincy Market, the Boston Holocaust Memorial, and a few other places. But Google Image Search those two locations, and you'll see why I'm bringing people to them. They're within walking distance of each other, too.

More on that as it comes up, but I wanna hear of who's thinkin' of stayin' up in Boston for an extra three nights!
Uncle Iroh: I know you're not supposed to cry over spilled tea, but *cries* it's just so sad!
Hacker

Unread post by Hacker »

I am so glad this is during the summer. right in the middle of it! I can work like crazy the first three weeks of june, save up all the money I can for botcon and the days following (extra stay, stuff I see in the markets)

and then when I get back, I can work until I drop until marching band camp starts up again and I go back to fry. Someone, PLEASE, remind me at the end of july to wear sunscreen at band camp!!!
*does not want to be extra crispy next year*

*hugs Sinead* Thank you so much for all the hotel searching and effort you've made already!
[url=http://www.elementsgraphics.net/index.php?id=eggs][img]http://www.boomspeed.com/egraphics/jkg82.gif[/img][/url]
The Crab

Unread post by The Crab »

So I'm not the only one intending on staying past Botcon... Hrm...

I might be staying with a friend, buuut I'll be looking at some hotels, just to be on the safe side.
Is the answer to this question "No"?

LYSDEXIC DARAPOX.
SilverfromOZ
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Unread post by SilverfromOZ »

Hey Landray,

when I do my overseas trip/pilgrimage/harassment of Hasbro next Feb, Florida is my first stop. I then intend to hire a Mustang and road trip out to Ohio where I have relatives. I'm trying to work out my plans to try and meet as many fellow fans as possible.

For everyone, that's besides the point of this thread so I'll add the more important part. If I manage to have enough funds, I'll be hopefully flying back to the States in June to be there for the history making Botcon and movie release. So many crazy TF fans in one location is something that cannot be missed.
It's ok sir. I'll be fine...

Just listen to your commander, bonebrain!

Yes dear...
Wicked Woman
Ultra Poster!
Ultra Poster!

Unread post by Wicked Woman »

I should be able to go...

... if I get the money...
... and a passport...
... and my mom's permission...
... and promise not to stalk the actors (just kidding about the stalking thing :-D)...

... OH and get off work for about a week or so... then possibly... maybe... perhaps, I can go.

WW
Sapphire
Site Admin

Unread post by Sapphire »

It'd be awesome if the two of you could go, Silver and WW. If you need any advice on planning a Botcon trip, I'd be happy to help, as I'm an international traveller too and have gone to two Botcons so far. :)
[url=http://www.bwint.net/fanclubrattrap.htm][img]http://www.bwint.net/memberrattrapclub1.jpg[/img][/url] || [img]http://www.bwint.net/fanclubrampagebanner1.jpg[/img]
SilverfromOZ
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Yes I'm sure with you as our resident gizzled convention veteran we will not be led astray... or it that further astray?... :wink:

Yeah I'd love to be there. Its rather convenient that I have been bitten with the travelling bug of late and hopefully will still have a job which supports it... that is if I actually do my work instead of replying to posts online... :lol:

P.S. WW it will be a competition to see how many we can catch. I'm picturing at the end of the convention Scott, Gary, David, Venus and the rest of the crew tied up in someone's basement and the Megatron quote "I've nearly got the whole set. Yeeessss."

Yes dear...
Sphinx

Unread post by Sphinx »

Hey, does anyone know what hotel/convention center Botcon's going to be held at in 2007? I know I saw it somewhere, but they haven't updated the Botcon website yet. >_< Idealy, we'd love to get a room in the convention hotel, but I can't look into it if I don't know where it is. :-p

Also, if anyone's coming from the upstate New York region, I might be able to give them a lift to the convention.
CabooseMoose7103

Unread post by CabooseMoose7103 »

Sphinx wrote:Also, if anyone's coming from the upstate New York region, I might be able to give them a lift to the convention.
I was thinking about going. I still have to make sure my schedule jives with BotCon, though.
Wicked Woman
Ultra Poster!
Ultra Poster!

Unread post by Wicked Woman »

*Singing* I'm on my way to Rhode Island! And I'll might not stop 'till I'm there...

heheh. I've got the permission and a way to get a passport document and as long as I stick to the saving route and get a big fat pay on the Weekend of Botcon (June 29th) I can go!
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!! *squeels with excitment* all I need now is a ways to get from Canada to Rhode Island and I'm set!
YAY! My first Botcon and I've learned from my first Gathering!!!

WW
Prime: "Any last words?"
Demolisher: "not the face, NOT THE FACE!"
SilverfromOZ
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

I just watched that epsiode of Family Guy again. I love the singing epsiodes especially the one with Frank Sinatra Jnr

"I love the work of Allan Funt."
"Or a cleanly shaven leg." Tee hee :lol:

Well nice work WW on the arrangement thing. I figure even if I need to fashion a canoe out of the empty boxes of my action figures and paddle my way around the world using G1 Metroplex as an oar I must make it to Botcon. Or perhaps I could Commandeer THAT ship. #cue Sparrow-esque grin#

Yes dear...
Sinead

Unread post by Sinead »

Okay everyone, I know that it's early, but I want to get this idea down as quickly as possible, so that we know what kinda resources we have for planning this. Yes, I'm talking about roommates for Botcon 2007! It'll be keeping things cheap, believe me. You stay for 4 nights at a cheap hotel, that's roughly$500, split it down the middle, that's $250 for two people in one room. Add in two more people, that's $125 for 4 nights in a major city, or on the outskirts of said city.

Kinda makes you think, right?

Right!

So! Anyone who is looking to come up, and is willing to share a room at Botcon, I've a few suggestions:

1- Let's try to keep the rooms with having one gender in each. I know that many parents (including my own Mum) are adamant about the fact that boys and girls don't share sleeping quarters. I agree. Keeps people honest, and keeps trouble from happening. The exception to this suggestion being that you're either married or the significant other in your life who will be coming with you to Botcon, in which I'm guessing that this topic is useless to you, since you'd most likely be sharing a room with him/her anyway.

2- When replying to this, if you have any suggestions, please speak them. The more information we have, the better.

3- Please write in when you'll possibly be arriving. This will help muchly with the planning of funds and whatnot. Say Colleen arrives on Wednesday with Laura, and they're in a room of five people. But Kelly, Moe and Tabby all arrive on Thursday morning. Colleen and Laura thus pay half and half on the first night of their room, and the other three only pay for their portions of the nights that they're staying. Most of you know this courtesy already, but it's useful to bring it up for those who are still learning about travel and expenses and whatnot.

4: For anyone that you'll be sponsoring (or letting stay with you for free), please also bring that up for a total head count in parenthesis. For example: Sandra brings two guests with her to stay in the room for her for free. It'd look like this: 2 (3 total). Meaning 2 guests, but a total of 3 people in her "party." Please keep in mind that we're trying to keep the rooms as non-co-ed as possible, so that it's easier on worrying parents.

Other than that, my ideas have hit the floor. So I'll start on the information:

Name: Sinead
Guests Accompanying: 1 (2 total)
Arriving: Wednesday night or Thursday morning