Site host

Where you can post announcements and other cool things. Doesn't have to be BW-related.

Moderators: Nurann, Starath, Sinead, Optimal Optimus Primal, Razor One

Phoenix
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
RPG Characters: Nemesis,Aurora,Zodiac

Site host

Unread post by Phoenix »

As most of you have noticed, the Beast Wars International has suffered from a great deal of downtime over the past few months. The main reason for the 'general error' that we've all been getting is a rather shabby site host that costs entirely too much for all the troubles we're getting in return.

Now.. Warwulf recently sent an email to Sapphire in regards to moving the BWINT over to a different, more stable host. Some of the hosts that he's looking at falls in the 100 dollars/year or so range cost wise. I believe the host the site is on currently is more in the 130 dollar range and still a rather terrible host when there are other, cheaper and better alternatives out there. Provided Sapphire doesn't mind swapping hosts, doing so would certainly save all of us from a lot of nuisances with the dreaded 'general error'.

Having said that, I'm wondering if there is any interest in offsetting the cost a bit by setting up a paypal account for donations for the new host. So figured I'd run the idea by you all to see if there's even much interest in swapping hosts or if the general errors is something you're able to live with.
Optimal Optimus Primal
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
RPG Characters: Optimus Primal, Rattrap, Rhinox, Megatron, Inferno

Unread post by Optimal Optimus Primal »

Having said that, I'm wondering if there is any interest in offsetting the cost a bit by setting up a paypal account for donations for the new host. So figured I'd run the idea by you all to see if there's even much interest in swapping hosts or if the general errors is something you're able to live with.
Didn't we used to do that? Anyone who could and wanted to would donate to help keep it running? I know I did once or twice. I say we get a cheaper, more reliable host and chip in the monies like we were before. The GE is just too frustrating anymore for those of us participating in the RPG.
"Well, that's just prime!"
Blackrosefencer
Ultra Poster!
Ultra Poster!

Unread post by Blackrosefencer »

Optimal Optimus Primal wrote:
Didn't we used to do that? Anyone who could and wanted to would donate to help keep it running? I know I did once or twice. I say we get a cheaper, more reliable host and chip in the monies like we were before. The GE is just too frustrating anymore for those of us participating in the RPG.
I agree. It really holds things up and has definitely contributed to my lack of posting lately. I've been really busy lately, but I have had free time to post...I just get that error message or some other type of site glitch and end up not being able to post in that little bit of free time. Then, I fall behind reading the many posts I have to read because of not being able to post when I wanted to.

Sig by WorpeX.

"Better be prepared for anything
When those demons rise."
(Str8 to the Bottom, Weaving the Fate)
Nurann
Site Admin

Unread post by Nurann »

I agree with OOP. The donations page and paypal account we had before are out of date, so it's high time we get something new set up and spruce the place up a bit. Not fair to be making Sapph cover it all every year!
~Nurannoniel Amruniel ~ Blessed Be~