[Spoiler Alert] Avengers Discussion

Where you can post announcements and other cool things. Doesn't have to be BW-related.

Moderators: Nurann, Starath, Sinead, Optimal Optimus Primal, Razor One

Alak
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

[Spoiler Alert] Avengers Discussion

Unread post by Alak »

HEAVY SPOILERS IN THIS TOPIC!!! AVOID IF YOU WANT TO WATCH THE MOVIE BUT HAVEN'T ACTUALLY WATCHED IT YET!!!

So what did you guys think about this movie? I loved it as did all the people I went to go see it with. The humor, action, and drama seemed to be balanced really well that I've allowed myself to be suspended in disbelief to the point where technical/logical errors had no effect on me.
Blazemane
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Unread post by Blazemane »

Just saw it.

I feel like, of all the movies that have come out in recent years which have dared to take on a "world-possibly-coming-to-an-end"-size scope, it's the only one I can think of which deals with that scope satisfyingly. And I think that's because it actually cared about its central characters. There were so many different character arcs going on, and they all felt... real and well done rather than fake and unimportant.

And there were so many great lines. And the action was (thank goodness) actually shot clearly in many parts. There were still a lot of blurred, overly-fast shots and obscured close-ups (the kind that I don't like), but so much of it wasn't like that.

Favorite parts:

Captain America coming into Germany, vindicating the man who dared to not bow, and taking on Loki.

Hulk slamming Loki.

And... I don't want to try to say more until I've had more time to process the movie's awesomeness.
I understand... you are, after all, a predacon.

[img]http://www.bwint.net/memberfanclubterrorsaur.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.bwint.net/bannersbfanclub2.jpg[/img]
Alak
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Unread post by Alak »

Even though he didn't have as many epic feats as some of the others, I did feel that Captain America was my favorite Avenger in the movie. It's probably just his demeanor and how he approaches every situation. Some cool scenes that I loved were Hulk vs. Thor, Loki trying to convert Tony Stark, and the second post-credits scene where they're all at the restaurant. That last one had us all laughing because it was just so random :D

I'm really, really sad that they killed Agent Coulson. The girls who sat behind me even cried. It's been a while since I mourned for a side character, but Coulson was a cool dude in all his Marvel appearances.
JazZeke
Location: Arizona, where the grass is always greener... on the other side of the state line!

Unread post by JazZeke »

I saw the midnight premiere! In costume no less. ;)

I was just expecting a blow-em-up movie. Which I would have been happy with, since it's the first major superhero crossover movie. But we got the WHOLE package: characterization, interpersonal characterization, and even some old-school superhero-on-superhero fights! Also, I really REALLY loved that one sequence during the final battle where the camera pans around the city from Avenger to Avenger. Favorite line? "He's adopted."
Alak
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Unread post by Alak »

lol that's my favorite line, as well!
Blackrosefencer
Ultra Poster!
Ultra Poster!

Unread post by Blackrosefencer »

Worpex and I just saw it today and I loved it!! I was definitely expecting a flop, but it ended up being a really cool movie. I kind of got sick of the whole "make a comic/cartoon into a movie" thing so I skipped a lot of the previous movies. I only saw Thor and most of Ironman, but didn't have a chance to watch the rest of it. I kind of wish I'd watched some of the others. Maybe I'll rent them on Netflix. I do watch the old Avengers cartoon every once and a while. I was surprised Spiderman didn't make an appearance since he was part of the old Avengers cartoon, but I guess they figured everyone was spiderman-ed out.

I actually really like Ironman and the Hulk!! And, of course (try not to act surprised) Black Widow was freakin' amazing! She is so bad@$$!

I think my favorite lines were:

- When the Hulk called Loki a "Puny god"

- Thor: He's my brother
Natasha Romanoff: He killed 80 people in 2 days
Thor: ...He's adopted

- When Captain America says he'd seen it all and Fury says "I bet you ten dollars you haven't." And then a few scenes later, Captain America gives Fury the ten dollars!

- Loki: "I have an army"
Stark: "We have a hulk."

- Steve Rogers: Stark, we need a plan of attack!
Tony Stark: I have a plan: attack!

-Pepper Potts: Phil, how are you?
Tony Stark: Phil? His first name is Agent.

-Stark says that Pepper can take 12% of the credit for Stark Towers and then later he says to her: "I thought we were having a moment" and she says back: "I was having 12% of a moment."

-Steve Rogers: What's the matter, scared of a little lightning?
Loki: I'm not overly fond of what follows.

Oh and when the Hulk punched Thor just because he could. That was hysterical. Pretty much anything out of Tony Stark's mouth was funny.

I agree, there was a nice balance between humor, action, drama, background information, etc. I was glad it wasn't all battle sequences and that there were moments when the audience could connect to the characters.

There was another post-credits scene aside from when we saw Red Skull?? I definitely didn't see that! The lights came on and we figured it was over!

Sig by WorpeX.

"Better be prepared for anything
When those demons rise."
(Str8 to the Bottom, Weaving the Fate)
Alak
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Unread post by Alak »

That's actually Thanos, not Red Skull. Red Skull is in the Captain America movie so if you watch that then you can see the differences despite their skin color looking similar in a blue photo filters. As for the second scene, it's nothing important... at least not compared to Thanos' reveal since we now know he's the sequel's main villain. It was just so... random that we all ended up cracking up. If you search "Avengers Post Credits" you'll see all of them sitting in a restaurant. The videos I found so far were pretty low quality, though. :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hClkWAYsbYM
Blackrosefencer
Ultra Poster!
Ultra Poster!

Alak wrote:That's actually Thanos, not Red Skull. Red Skull is in the Captain America movie so if you watch that then you can see the differences despite their skin color looking similar in a blue photo filters. As for the second scene, it's nothing important... at least not compared to Thanos' reveal since we now know he's the sequel's main villain. It was just so... random that we all ended up cracking up. If you search "Avengers Post Credits" you'll see all of them sitting in a restaurant. The videos I found so far were pretty low quality, though. :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hClkWAYsbYM
I know that one guy was Thanos. But according to IMDB, the other guy is The Red Skull:
There is a scene part way through credits: Marvel Character Thanos appears with The Red Skull by his side. They are both looking down on Planet Earth with Thanos smiling, stating that they underestimated Earth.
But I suppose they've been known to be wrong.

Sig by WorpeX.

When those demons rise."
JazZeke
Location: Arizona, where the grass is always greener... on the other side of the state line!

Unread post by JazZeke »

IMDB is basically a wiki and it has just as much credibility as one. That wasn't Red Skull.

Also, the reason Spider-man wasn't in the Avengers is because Sony still owns the movie rights, and they're making a new Spider-man movie of their own. But a friend of mine said that once this next trilogy is over with, the rights will finally revert back to Marvel and they will fold him back into the Avengers movieverse.
Phoenix
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
RPG Characters: Nemesis,Aurora,Zodiac

Unread post by Phoenix »

I was actually not planning on seeing this movie. But after finding out I passed the NCLEX I got dragged out with some friends and Avengers was the only even remotely interesting movie playing right now.

Having said that I have never read an Avengers comic, seen any previous cartoon or movie with them. I've never felt a need to since I normally have little interest in comic heroes. I did see the Iron Man movies back when they came out, but I never saw Thor, Hulk or Captain America.had never heard of Hawkeye either and Natasha was only familiar from the Iron Man movies.

As for the movie itself, I did enjoy Avengers a lot more than I did the Underworld movie earlier this year. But I was not blind to its flaws, however, and did feel the movie was a bit overrated. For some reason it burdened me that the Hulk was initially this angry, mindless beast wanting to kill anyone nearby, yet in the big battle at the end he was clearly fighting alongside the heroes and seemed to have free will.

I did love some scenes though, like the Hulk hitting Thor, and Loki fighting any of them. Also any phrase coming out of Tony Stark's mouth.
Blackrosefencer
Ultra Poster!
Ultra Poster!

As for the movie itself, I did enjoy Avengers a lot more than I did the Underworld movie earlier this year. But I was not blind to its flaws, however, and did feel the movie was a bit overrated. For some reason it burdened me that the Hulk was initially this angry, mindless beast wanting to kill anyone nearby, yet in the big battle at the end he was clearly fighting alongside the heroes and seemed to have free will.
I was thinking about that too. Right before that last battle, Dr. Banner says "That's the secret. I'm always angry" just before transforming into the hulk. I kind of took that to mean that when he's angry he changes into the hulk of his own free will whenever he wants. But when hes enraged, he has no control over when he changes and what he does when it happens. So perhaps, before, he was focusing too much on fighting back the anger, but, at the end, he realizes he can control the hulk if he embraces his anger instead of hiding it. I dunno.....I never saw the hulk movie, so maybe I'm grasping at straws here. Maybe its something that is explained better in the comics or the hulk movie.

And congratulations on passing your test!!!! :-)

Sig by WorpeX.

When those demons rise."
Alak
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Unread post by Alak »

Don't worry, I've read Hulk comics and that "I'm always angry" line didn't make sense to me either. I just didn't care for it as soon as he punched the leviathan lolol.
Blackrosefencer
Ultra Poster!
Ultra Poster!

Alak wrote:Don't worry, I've read Hulk comics and that "I'm always angry" line didn't make sense to me either. I just didn't care for it as soon as he punched the leviathan lolol.
Maybe there was a scene that was cut from the movie or something.

Sig by WorpeX.

When those demons rise."
Blazemane
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Unread post by Blazemane »

Oh, I just remembered (and I was so excited about this when I saw the movie this past weekend)!

In the same scene where Captain America goes to fight Loki for the first time in Germany, Tony Stark totally does one of Glowstick's favorite tricks.
I understand... you are, after all, a predacon.

[img]http://www.bwint.net/memberfanclubterrorsaur.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.bwint.net/bannersbfanclub2.jpg[/img]
Beastbot
Ultra Poster!
Ultra Poster!

Unread post by Beastbot »

It roughly lived up to my expectations-- a very fun movie and awesome. Not quite as good as Iron Man and Iron Man 2-- the banter in those two movies simply can't be beat-- but other than those, the best Marvel movie I've seen (and I've seen nearly all of them). They did an excellent job of breaking up the action between all the Avengers and everyone sans perhaps Hawkeye had some great moments, but unfortunately I still feel Thor was an incredibly poor choice to bring into the live action "main Marvel movie continuity" roster. Everything dealing with him and Loki and Asgard and all that just feels so incredibly out of place and awkward with the otherwise "more realistic" flavor the Marvel movies have. Thus I'm not all that pleased that Thanos was the reveal at the end of the movie-- I was hoping Red Skull would be the next big bad or something a little more down-to-earth. (Not to mention-- and this is the main thing about the movie that bugs me-- but was it ever mentioned why, exactly, those aliens were invading Earth? I never figured that out.)

Objectively I think it was a little better than DOTM, but not so much so that I will ever understand how Avengers can get near-universal praise from critics while DOTM gets near-universal panning from the same people. Characterization was better in the Avengers-- same with the humor and the restaint from over-sexualizing the female characters-- dialogue was slightly better in the Avengers, plot was about equal in both movies, DOTM definitely had the better action and visuals.

Unobjectively of course I still prefer DOTM because Transformers. But it was definitely a fun movie, with the team-up factor being a large part of that.
Last updated April 25th
Current Transformers Total: 4,975