Remember Remember..

Where you can post announcements and other cool things. Doesn't have to be BW-related.

Moderators: Nurann, Starath, Sinead, Optimal Optimus Primal, Razor One

SilverfromOZ
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Remember Remember..

Unread post by SilverfromOZ »

the 5th of November. Yes indeed folks, its the birthday of Guy Fawkes once again! I hope that he has a really good one this year and... #some taps on shoulder and whispers into ear# Wait! What?! #more whispering# So I bought this giant dagger cake for nothing?!! Damn yoooo Alan Moore!

Anyhoo, one of my mates has decided to throw a pool party. I think he was quite oblivious to the date chosen so I'll be sure to turn up with a couple of barrels o' gunpower... or jelly beans! Either way I'll be bouncing off the walls as I am hoisted by my own petard into the swimming pool :mrgreen:

So how else is everyone spending the day?
It's ok sir. I'll be fine...

Just listen to your commander, bonebrain!

Yes dear...
Phoenix
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
RPG Characters: Nemesis,Aurora,Zodiac

Unread post by Phoenix »

Oh dear, I don't know how to say this so I'll just ask..

Who is Guy Fawkes and why does he have his own day? How and where is it celebrated?
Alak
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Unread post by Alak »

He's a guy who tried to blow up the British Parliament. He failed and got caught. People love him for some unexplained reason... maybe they hate the British government... maybe the love anarchy?
SilverfromOZ
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Alak:The answer is both! :mrgreen:

PHoenix: Don't worry too much about not knowing about it. Personally, I was only introduced to this concept through the movie V for Vendetta. I suppose the reason why Guy Fawkes is revered is that he got close enough to scare the.. erm.. slag.. out of the politicians. "People should not fear their government, government should fear their people." Admittedly with the overly corrupt capitalistic society in which we find ourselves, some can argue that this has always been a folk tale to keep the masses warm, whilst the richies feast on the spoils of their society. However, the Guy Fawkes mask has been used on numerous occasions by protest groups and he has become quite the symbol of rebellion against corruption (even though he did fail). Me... I just want an excuse to dress up as V for a night HA HAAAH! #brandishes sword# "Um.. Silver that's just a feather duster" WHAT?! #brandishes duster and enters into the fray# HAVE AT THEE!! :mrgreen:

Yes dear...
Phoenix
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Unread post by Phoenix »

Oh. Ok that's cool. I never saw the movie V for Vendetta so .. I only know what the creepy mask loooks like because my hubby is a "b-tard".
Blackrosefencer
Ultra Poster!
Ultra Poster!

Unread post by Blackrosefencer »

I celebrate the holiday by watching V For Vendetta....I watch it every year on the fifth of November cuz it is probably the coolest movie ever! I love the line at the end where he says, "Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask, there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof." Fantastic line! And of course, the scene where V is fencing with the suit of armor while watching "The Count of Montecristo" is great too! I'm partial to that part.....can't imagine why.... :wink:

And this part is great too: "Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished. However, this valorous visitation of a by-gone vexation, stands vivified and has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin vanguarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition."

:-D

It's a great movie, I highly recommend it!

Sig by WorpeX.

"Better be prepared for anything
When those demons rise."
(Str8 to the Bottom, Weaving the Fate)
Alak
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Unread post by Alak »

I agree that it's a great movie and that Fawkes theme works well for a totalitarian society. Unfortunately, not a lot of people realize that it's not as applicable to modern day first world countries. That's why I find it funny that the hacker group Anonymous dons the Fawkes mask in their public gatherings. They think they're fighting against an oppressive regime...
SilverfromOZ
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Alak: I concede that we are not in an entirely totalitarian society, however with CCTV cameras everywhere in the UK, social networking sites implementing spyware to monitor everything people do on their PC #cough cough# Facebook #cough cough# and the fact that 99% of the US society are propping up the very self-satisfied 1% I personally feel like we're not far off. Thankfully we do still have access to the forums of free speech in our democratic nations, however it is the responsibility of its people to keep their society and their politicians in check. With this in mind, I can understand why Anonymous uses Fawkes' image. Here's hoping they pin Zuckerberg to the wall this weekend :mrgreen:

blackrosefencer: It sounds like a wonderful ritual to me :D Just to be clear, do you actually have fencing skills? I was an Epeeist for about 10ish years. I stepped out of the sport about a year or so ago as I became the President of a successful club and eventually tired of the politics. It is fun to be able to brandish a sword from time to time :mrgreen:

Phoenix: lol I would recommend giving it a watch. Apparently the plot deviates from the original comic's intent (I look forward to owning the graphic novel at some point :D ), however the message is quite applicable, especially with all the occupation movements happening around the world right now. :mrgreen:

Yes dear...
Beastbot
Ultra Poster!
Ultra Poster!

Unread post by Beastbot »

SilverfromOZ wrote:Alak: I concede that we are not in an entirely totalitarian society, however with CCTV cameras everywhere in the UK, social networking sites implementing spyware to monitor everything people do on their PC #cough cough# Facebook #cough cough# and the fact that 99% of the US society are propping up the very self-satisfied 1%
...You know the top 1% of people in the U.S. pay 39% of the total income taxes, right? And that 47% of U.S. citizens pay no income tax at all? I understand the U.S. is a foreign country to you and I don't pay a whole lot of attention to foreign politics either, but you might wanna do a bit more research before you throw out stuff like that. If anything, it's more of the other way around-- the U.S. is slowly turning into a welfare state.
Last updated April 25th
Current Transformers Total: 4,975
Phoenix
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Unread post by Phoenix »

Oh I've been recommended this movie before, unfortunately by local male friends who thought the movie "300" was the best thing ever, which hasn't exactly inspired my confidence.. Certain types of movies have a profound ability of putting me to sleep, and "300" along with most war movies make up the most of them.

I only rarely watch movies since I'm rather particulate about what I like. Every Halloween it's a battle for the remote with our friends, since they always want to watch a gorey zombie movie, which happens to be my least favorite genre of them all. Give me a scary movie like Alien or Predator over that any day..
SilverfromOZ
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Beastbot: Will take the advice and do lots more reading in future. Sorry if I ruffled any feathers :D I'm thinking of Mr Burn's quote from the Simpsons "Fly my pretties fly!" #flying monkeys fall out window to their deaths# "Hmm... continue the research." :mrgreen:

Phoenix: yeeeah.. I'm a fan of comic books and I thoroughly enjoyed 300 for what it was... a crazy, pretty, historically inaccurate story about Spartans written by Frank Miller. However, just to sum it up, Frank wrote things into his stories because he loved to draw them. Makes for a bunch of fun, but not the greatest masterpiece of cinematography. V for Vendetta is by no means an American Beauty esque production (if you haven't seen American Beauty then go watch it right now! :D ) however it does bring up some interesting perspectives and I have had some very heavy movie critics say that they were impressed with it. The basic thing is that the original story was written by Alan Moore and he is pretty much DC comic's supreme overlord of awesome. His list of achievements include:

- V for Vendetta
- Watchmen
- The Killing Joke (which provided a great deal of inspiration for Chris Nolan's "The Dark Knight" especially with regards to the Joker)

My recommendation is to watch all three of these movies (but don't go into Watchmen expecting an upbeat superhero romp :D )

Anyhoo, need sleep now otherwise I may not actually remember the 5th November when it arrives :wink:

Yes dear...
Phoenix
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Unread post by Phoenix »

Yeah.. I'm really not a comic book (or "graphic novels" as our devoted friend who is all over those things) fan.. I have not read comics since I was 13 years old and at this point I just don't have the time and especially not the desire to pick one up. I did enjoy a few movies based on comics, specifically the two newest Batman movies, but that's pretty much it. I watched them once, had fun doing so, and never saw them again. I've always preferred psychological thrillers or cute cgi movies oddly.

Maybe I'll watch some of these at some point in the future, but I can almost guarantee it will not be while I'm still in school.. :/
Beastbot
Ultra Poster!
Ultra Poster!

Unread post by Beastbot »

SilverfromOZ wrote:Beastbot: Will take the advice and do lots more reading in future. Sorry if I ruffled any feathers :D I'm thinking of Mr Burn's quote from the Simpsons "Fly my pretties fly!" #flying monkeys fall out window to their deaths# "Hmm... continue the research." :mrgreen:
No prob, we all only have so much time. Heck, I can't for the life of me name your country's Prime Minister... I need to get better at this stuff myself...
yeeeah.. I'm a fan of comic books and I thoroughly enjoyed 300 for what it was... a crazy, pretty, historically inaccurate story about Spartans written by Frank Miller
Heheh. You know what makes that movie a ton better? Rifftrax: http://www.rifftrax.com/rifftrax/300

Seriously one of their best. "The Slow-mostrians are coming!" "CHAAARRRGGEEE!"
Last updated April 25th
Current Transformers Total: 4,975
Blackrosefencer
Ultra Poster!
Ultra Poster!

Unread post by Blackrosefencer »

SilverfromOZ wrote: blackrosefencer: It sounds like a wonderful ritual to me :D Just to be clear, do you actually have fencing skills? I was an Epeeist for about 10ish years. I stepped out of the sport about a year or so ago as I became the President of a successful club and eventually tired of the politics. It is fun to be able to brandish a sword from time to time :mrgreen:
Yes, of course I do! It's in my s/n after all!!

I'm the little one....

I fence foil predominantly. I fence epee and sabre now and then for fun, but I enjoy foil much more. I fence competitively when I can (although I haven't competed in a while because I've been working weekends :P). The last tournament I was in was over the summer and I ended up coming in third. I also have refereed for a few tournaments and have organized and run several tournaments as well.

I was also the President of a fencing club and it was a lot of fun! I'm a teacher, so I really liked the organizational aspect of it and the fact that one of my priorities was to teach everyone else how to fence. That was probably the most fun!

I also am a certified archery instructor! Arrows and swords...all the sharp things your mother told you not to play with! :-D
Phoenix wrote:Yeah.. I'm really not a comic book (or "graphic novels" as our devoted friend who is all over those things) fan.. I have not read comics since I was 13 years old and at this point I just don't have the time and especially not the desire to pick one up. I did enjoy a few movies based on comics, specifically the two newest Batman movies, but that's pretty much it. I watched them once, had fun doing so, and never saw them again. I've always preferred psychological thrillers or cute cgi movies oddly.
I've never really gotten into comic books or graphic novels either, but I loved "V for Vendetta" and also "Watchmen." Was "The Crow" based on a graphic novel? Cuz that was an awesome movie too! I watch that one once a year too, but I have trouble getting through that scene in the beginning, but other than that it's one of my favorite movies!

Sig by WorpeX.

"Better be prepared for anything
When those demons rise."
(Str8 to the Bottom, Weaving the Fate)
Razor One
Site Admin

Unread post by Razor One »

Fencing you say?
Spoiler: show
:P

I've been doing Kendo for a couple of months now. Finally getting into some decent armour too, I've got all of the above sans the Men (helmet).

One thing I will say... getting hit on the Kote (wrist) hurts like hell. They say I'll adapt though :evil:

Oh I'll adapt alright :twisted:

Adapt until they... wait... time for medication against Evil Overlord Tendencies... :(

... :)

... :D

But yeah, the Kendo has been doing well by me lately. The people are fun and so is the sport.