Transformers MMORPG

Where you can post announcements and other cool things. Doesn't have to be BW-related.

Moderators: Nurann, Starath, Sinead, Optimal Optimus Primal, Razor One

Alak
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Transformers MMORPG

Unread post by Alak »

Excited about the recently announced MMO starring those crazy shape-changing robots? Revel in these new glimpses of the game.

Publisher Jagex sent along some new art and a trailer that helped showcase the game at Comic-Con this year. The visuals don't show any actual gameplay from Transformers Universe, but there are some interesting tidbits that can be gleaned from the assets. Most notably, it's clear the new game will focus on the "Prime" timeline of Transformers characters. Included in that timeline is the current cartoon, Transformers: Prime, as well as the recent War for Cybertron game.

You can also see in one of the images what looks like clear evidence that at least part of the game will be set on Earth.

We'll keep you updated as we learn more about the game. In the meantime, watch the trailer and share your thoughts in the comments below, or hop over to check out the first (remarkably similar) trailer of the game from several weeks ago.

Source

Sorry I didn't post videos since they're not embedded, but they can be found in the links above. I honestly had no idea this was officially announced a few weeks back. I heard of the rumors but a project of this scale just seemed too impossible for me. I'm glad I'm wrong. Transformers MMO will certainly be awesome if the creative team can emphasize on server netcoding (to alleviate lag and glitches) as well as customization. Like most MMORPGs, I'm pretty sure this will be $60 for the initial software and then $15 per month as a subscription fee. If it comes to consoles, that's great, but most definitely it will be for PCs.
Aesir
Ultra Poster!
Ultra Poster!

Unread post by Aesir »

And here's some fun news, the developers of the game are going to be at Auto Assembly next week, and will be giving a panel with some exclusive information about the game at the con!
[img]http://i418.photobucket.com/albums/pp265/Oracle_Aesir/Picture067-2.jpg[/img]

[url]http://oracleaesir.deviantart.com[/url]
WorpeX
Ultra Poster!
Ultra Poster!

Unread post by WorpeX »

Gonna quote one of the comments I saw...
I'm pretty sure its a bad idea to get enthusiastic about something being released by the makers of Runescape.
Alak
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Unread post by Alak »

Yeah but Runescape was free to play through an internet browser. With Hasbro funding them, maybe Jagex might be able to smooth out issues seen in their previous MMOs. I'm pretty confident that this will look (graphics-wise) exponentially better than Runescape (God help us all if it doesn't).
Phoenix
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
RPG Characters: Nemesis,Aurora,Zodiac

Unread post by Phoenix »

Oooh, I was captivated by the concept of a tf mmorpg, up until the point I read it's probably could to have a subscription fee. The only mmorpg I ever stuck with for more than a brief trial period was guild wars, one that does not require this fee. I go through phases of playing, so paying a subscription fee just isn't for me. I'd rather buy the game and then play whenever I have the time and desire, and not have to worry about having to keep paying to play.

Maybe I should try "war for cybertron" sometime. I bought it almost a year ago and it's still hasn't been opened..
Blaze Raptor

Unread post by Blaze Raptor »

Wait... Jagex? Cool! I love Runescape. I don't know why people have a problem with Runescape. The graphics have greatly improved from when I first started playing it. (>.> Well that was quite a little while ago. *ahem*) Besides, so far, my clunky, old computer can handle it and as long as I can fight as a transformer with other TF fans, seems pretty good to me. Hmm, I wonder if we'd be able to set up groups?

And as far as a subscription is concerned... If Jagex has the same payment options as it does for Runescape, that would be great. I only play Runescape once in a while and they have a one month sub that works for me (and technically I don't need it, I just like the extra member perks *shrug*)
"I knew coming here was a bad idea. I should have listened to my mother and become an accountant but, no, I had to become a Musha Gundam!"
- Cobramaru from SD Gundam after being annoyed by the Zakos from Zako Zako Hour.
Beastbot
Ultra Poster!
Ultra Poster!

Unread post by Beastbot »

For me, it's a TF MMORPG. My literal dream come true. Yes, I know it won't be WoW in terms of gameplay or anything, but again. TF. MMORPG. As long as it doesn't freeze up every five minutes I will love it forever.
Last updated April 25th
Current Transformers Total: 4,975
Alak
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Unread post by Alak »

From Kotaku:

This is What the Official Transformers MMO Will Look Like (Sort of)

We're getting a massively multiplayer Transformers game next year—a free one—and now we finally have a hint of what it'll look like.

After eating some free sushi and looking at some tiny Star Wars figurines at a fancy hotel in midtown New York tonight, I was told that the developers of Transformers Universe were finally ready to show a little bit of their game, making me the fifth or sixth person outside of their studio, they claimed, to ever see anything of this game. Now you get to be the seventh (or so).

The Transformers people didn't show me much, alas. I saw a trailer, stills of which you can see here. The trailer doesn't show real gameplay, but the developers say the character models are indicative of what the graphics of the game will look like. After watching the trailer, the developers and I talked about the game, so let me paint you a word picture (word screenshot?) of what kind of Transformers MMO we're getting next year.

(Click through the thumbnails in this story to see stills of the debut trailer for Transformers Universe along with characters sketches.)

Before today, all I knew was that the people making Transformers Universe are Jagex, the folks behind the massively successful online game Runescape.

Their massively multiplayer Transformers game will be free-to-play. It will be supported by an as-yet unexplained microtransaction or subscription model, according to a marketing rep who fielded questions about Tranformers Universe at this evening's Hasbro event. You'll play the game in a browser, running only a small downloaded client, nothing like the big application you'd have to have to run, say, a World of Warcraft.

The game is set in the Transformers Prime universe, which coincides with the world set up in the book Transformers: Exodus. That means this isn't the Michael Bay movie Transformers. There will be some sort of connection to or acknowledgment of the Generation One Transformers, but as with most things about this game, Jagex and Hasbro aren't sharing details yet.

The game will be set on Earth and, while there will be human elements to the world, robots will be the featured characters. Players will control a Transformer of their making, with famous robots like Optimus Prime mostly serving in companion, support or other non-playable modes. The game's rep declined to rule out the option that players would sometimes be able to play as famous Autobots or Decepticons, so it does seem like that will be some sort of option. Primarily, though, players will cultivate the development and progression of their own Autobot or Decepticon, picking their class, body shape, color scheme and more, adding new abilities as their character advances in the MMO.

Players will use their robot form as they would any standard MMO hero. They'll use their transformed vehicle state as an MMO player would use a mount. Essentially, you'll be your own mount. Initial vehicle classes will include trucks and motorcycles. The developers had considered everything from plane to submarine transformations (a fellow reporter and I also suggested dinosaurs), but it sounds like land vehicles will be the primary transformations for starters. Players will find that picking, say, a sports car transformation will allow them to be more nimble than if they chose, say, a heavy-bodied truck.

How MMO-ish or WoW-ish will this game be? The game will include player vs. player and player vs. environment third-person combat. The Transformers Universe marketing guy who talked to me about the game occasionally used terms like "tank" and said that people familiar with "guilds" and other concepts of group play in other MMOs will be familiar with some of the trappings of this game. The rep assured me there would be "team-based activities" in the game. I asked if those included forming Devastator. He said, laughing, "No comment."

Hasbro and Jagex's demo for the game was unusually light. Typically, meetings with press will involve more than a trailer using in-game graphics. I had hoped to see actual gameplay or screenshots of the game running, to say nothing of seeing the game in action. The lack of content shown tonight signals how early in development Transformers Universe is. The trailer from which the stills in this story were snapped, will run in a theater at the New York Comicon, which starts tomorrow. So the public will get a similar taste in the coming days. But we're really just in tease mode now.

Tonight, it seems, was the dry run, a chance to educate the press a little bit about what amounts to a first glimpse of an actual game... a new tease of a game for which MMO fans and Transformers fans will likely have high hopes. It's far too early to assess whether Jagex is going to meet them, as there's certainly more to this game than—wait for it—met my eyes tonight.

Transformers Universe will be shown at booth 522 at the New York Comic-Con this week. Keep an eye on the game's Facebook page for more information.

All images (and some which were not posted) are expandable if you visit the original source:

Kotaku

The whole in-browser thing kinda killed my expectations. Then again, not all in-browser games are bad but none of them are worth paying for imo (which is good because a lot of them are free to play).
una
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
RPG Characters: Whitegrazer, TyCross, and Blackarachnia

Unread post by una »

Man, It looks so good but I won't have time to play an MMO. I can play RPGs but MMOs too consuming. :(
Alak
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Unread post by Alak »

I this this might be relevant to some people's interests:

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/ ... rview.aspx

***EDIT***

Here's the key take away point imo:
Coupe: Jagex is one of the pioneers in free-to-play, browser gaming and over the last 12+ years we’ve built up a great deal of expertise on how to build games that work in the browser, and we’ve applied that expertise to Transformers Universe. The entire game runs on a brand new, proprietary engine that we’ve built from the ground up to ensure that Transformers Universe looks best in class. We really feel it’s a step beyond most of the games out there that don’t require a client. All players will need to do to play the game is visit the website, click play and then you’ll be into the game.

Skelly: Transformers Universe is a fully free to play title with microtransactions. We’re conscious to avoid models that tease players by only giving them X, but in order to progress or get anything meaningful out of the game you need to spend money. You will be able to play Transformers Universe entirely for free, if you want to, as long as you’ve got the time to dedicate to it you’ll be able to get the same items as those that choose to pay. You’ll have no ability to buy game play advantages that affect the pay vs. free balance.
Venatrix

Unread post by Venatrix »

Perhaps a link would be good to the official website:
http://www.transformersuniverse.com

Beta registration is open at the moment.

I'm curious, so i might try it.
[img]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a161/Venatrix1982/venatrix-sig3.jpg[/img]

[color=purple]"Those who fail to learn history are doomed to repeat it;
Those who fail to learn history [b][u]CORRECTLY--[/u][/b]
Why they are simply doomed."[/color]
NaitoKage
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Unread post by NaitoKage »

Well, I joined the beta and read around the forums.. um.. It sounds like it's a Moba, not a MMO. So..Probably not going to eat as much time for ya Una, but also probably going to lose the interest of a huge number of transformer fans. Specially in their recent article which mentions the only customization is weapons.

http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-new ... er-176991/
Beastbot
Ultra Poster!
Ultra Poster!

Unread post by Beastbot »

Yeah, ever since it was announced this was changed to a MOBA a few months ago my interest in this has tanked to almost nil. Since it's free I might try it out just to see what it's like, but... I doubt anything beyond that unless it REALLY wows me, sadly.
Last updated April 25th
Current Transformers Total: 4,975