Shatted dreams (Norway)

Where you can post announcements and other cool things. Doesn't have to be BW-related.

Moderators: Nurann, Starath, Sinead, Optimal Optimus Primal, Razor One

Phoenix
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
RPG Characters: Nemesis,Aurora,Zodiac

Shatted dreams (Norway)

Unread post by Phoenix »

As those of you who have known me for a while are probably aware of, I hail from the country of Norway in Europe. Population wise it's a relatively small country, not leaving much of a mark on the world map in the grand scheme of things with a population of 5 million people. My family and my friends from growing up remain in Norway, although personally I took a leap of faith after getting involved with an American back in 2005 and making a few month long trips over to the states to check out the terrain in the year that followed. In 2006 I moved to upstate NY since we decided to move ahead with the relationship, as difficult of a decision it was to leave my loved ones, home and work behind to start anew across the ocean. I try to make it back to Norway once a year to visit, although with the baby I think I might have to skip the trip this year.

But enough of my life story, since this rant is about Norway.

As mentioned Norway hasn't left much of a mark on the world map in later years. It's a rather proud country, where people try to make due as best they can without relying too much on others aside from the necessities. Norway is one of few countries in Europe that has refused to join the European Union, valuing the sense of independence they get from that. Of course Norway still imports goods (being that far up north), contributes help in international affairs, yet it has kept this sense of independence throughout it all. Having just had a baby, I do miss Norway's 1 year paid leave of absence from work rather than the mere 6 weeks unpaid FMLA I received.

Anyway.. To get to the point..

Although the leniency of the legal system there is hard to fathom, with images of prison cells as impressive as many modern hotel rooms leaking to the public and a 'life sentence' in Norway is actually only 21 years behind bar with the chance of being released at 2/3 of the sentence served, oddly the lenient approach towards crime usually works. In fact it's been known to be a relatively peaceful country, quite fitting for the host of the nobel peace prize ceremony being held there every year. (I still say Obama only won the prize so the leader of the comity could have his picture taken while shaking Obama's hand)

Of course there's crime happening in Norway as well, like any other country, but for the most part it's not very serious. For instance; the homicide rate in Norway was 0.6 per 100.000 inhabitants (in the year 2000), which is quite low compared to other nations such as the USA with 5.0, 1.81 in Canada, and a whooping 15.0 in Russia. Seeing those numbers brings about an illusion of safety.

But that illusion was shattered yesterday, when the first terrorist attack in Norwegian history (that I know of off hand) occurred. First a building in downtown of the capital was blown up, amazingly killing only 7 people and wounding several more. A man wearing a police sweater was seen at the scene just prior to the bomb going off. That same man then traveled to a youth camp on a nearby island, posing as a police officer and telling the teenagers attending the camp to gather around him for some information.

Then he opened fire on them.

The kids scattered in panic to try to escape the madman. Many attempted to swim for safety, while others hid in the wounds or rocks near the beach. The disguised shooter killed them on sight. So far 87 or so people, mostly teens, have been confirmed killed and the number is rising.

The killer has been apprehended by the police after the slaughter and has been identified as a right-wing extremist Christian, bringing back memories of the Oklahoma bombing by Timothy McVeigh. In his wake this guy left the biggest tragedy in Norwegian history since WW2.

And I find myself doubting my own beliefs of how the justice system should work. As I mentioned, a life sentence in Norway is only 21 years in prison. Sure, if the subject is deemed 'insane' he can be held for more than that, but still.. There is no death sentence in Norway, so essentially this guy is being sent to a hotel like suite for the next x amount of years. There's not been many cases where I have thought the death sentence would be fitting, but this shooter single-handedly caused an event that killed at least 94 people as of the death toll right now. In a country with only 5 million residents, that is actually a percentage more than twice as high as the 9/11 death toll in the USA.

He took those people's lives in cold blood, and left the rest of us with a shattered illusion of the 'safety of home'. I don't foresee Norway ever being the same after this, with security like the one found in the USA likely getting implemented from now on. I am honestly shocked by what happened. Norway has never been a target before. My thoughts go out to the affected, their families and friends. It's chaotic right now, with the names of the deceased not yet having been released and people being asked to limit their cellphone use due to the network getting overwhelmed by traffic. I, too, have friends and family in the region that was affected..
starshadow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Unread post by starshadow »

Gosh Phoenix..I hope your family and friends are okay...I have 2 Deviantart friends who are living in Norway and I hope they are unharmed after that terrorist attack.
Phoenix
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Unread post by Phoenix »

http://slatest.slate.com/posts/2011/07/ ... lizer.html

Thanks.. I doubt I knew anyone that were killed directly. Most of them were teenagers 14 to 20 year old. Most of the people I know in that area do not belong to that age group.

It's still surreal, however. For me it's 9/11 all over.

And thank you for being the only one to respond to my rant thus far, Starshadow. I noticed quite a few people had clicked the page, yet nobody offered any words of encouragement or anything aside from you thus far. Guess people are just too caught up in their own affairs.. :(
Alak
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Unread post by Alak »

Any word on the group the attacker is linked with or is he acting solo? Seems like a lot of work and desensitization for a lone farmer to go out of his way and commit such a crime. Hopefully, they'll be able to link him somewhere so that the insanity plea doesn't work in his defense. MSNBC reported of a bombing at the prime minister's office that occurred at the same time as the shooting.

Right-wing extremism emerging?
Phoenix
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Unread post by Phoenix »

Well, it was certainly planned for a while. Although he was renting the farm, there were no signs he was planting any crops there. So it seems like a cover-up so he could purchase the large quantities of fertilizer he needed to make the bomb. He also somehow got his hands on a police uniform. And two of the weapons he had were automatic weapons, which are banned in Norway, so he had to have gotten those from somewhere as well.

I have always been against the death penalty, but recent events have started making me wish Norway practiced capital punishment for certain types of crime. Some people are just pure evil.

Was he working alone? Hard to tell yet. If he was, he sadly executed his plan well enough.
una
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
RPG Characters: Whitegrazer, TyCross, and Blackarachnia

Unread post by una »

Wow, I'm just still in complete shock of what happened.

I pray for the families for there.

It's just so horrible. Any attack like that is and there is no justification for it. None.
Blazemane
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Unread post by Blazemane »

I agree that sending him to a prison like that, even for the rest of his life, wouldn't be just. I don't mean to sound preachy, but if I am to give my answer for the situation, it is that ultimately, whether Norway makes any exception in its law for this case or not, God will work things out justly.

Sorry this all happened, Phoenix. I'll be praying too.
I understand... you are, after all, a predacon.

[img]http://www.bwint.net/memberfanclubterrorsaur.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.bwint.net/bannersbfanclub2.jpg[/img]
Beastbot
Ultra Poster!
Ultra Poster!

Unread post by Beastbot »

I'm definitely praying for the victims of that tragedy.
Last updated April 25th
Current Transformers Total: 4,975
Alak
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Unread post by Alak »

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43857267/ns ... ws-europe/

That might provide some semblance of a motive... somewhat. It's always difficult to tell what people like him are thinking, because we just can't imagine the exact thought process of an extremist mass murderer. That's a good thing, though, since it assures us that our minds are nothing like his.
Nurann
Site Admin

Unread post by Nurann »

I've barely been online the past few days; I hadn't even known anything happened until the next day. *hugs* My thoughts are with you, your family and friends, and all the victims touched by this tragedy... :(
~Nurannoniel Amruniel ~ Blessed Be~
Darkshadow14
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Unread post by Darkshadow14 »

*hugs* I send out many prayers for yourself, and the victims families and friends!
Safeguard

Unread post by Safeguard »

I remember seeing the victims in a newspaper. I felt really bad for the 11-year-old kid who went face to face with Breivik. It's not often that such a young boy shows such courage and maturity, even after losing someone so close to him.
"You already killed my dad, but I'm too young to die."

This reminds me of the two school shootings and the mall bombing we had in Finland. :\
"Can you still see when your head has been severed from your neck? Let’s find out…"
- Drancron from Beast Wars Neo