Transmetal Orcariner (Robot Mode)

Post any artwork here, whether it be BW related or not.

Moderators: Nurann, Starath, Sinead, Optimal Optimus Primal, Razor One

Alak
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Transmetal Orcariner (Robot Mode)

Unread post by Alak »

This has been going on for a while now, so I wasn't able to use my drawing tablet for this. I used Photoshop's pen tool which proved to be very clean and neat. I only completed the frontal view so unfortunately you can't see all the kibble in the back like his dorsal fin and his tail. Orcariner is noticeably more lean post-upgrade which means his beast mode will be very zoid-like. I tried to accentuate the layers of armor he has acquired with the new transmetal form. The right arm looks a bit awkward, but I think that's just the positioning because that's supposed to be his thumb pointing downward. The rest of the fingers are hidden. The most difficult part was designing the new head. I pretty much just reduced the number of horns from 3 down to 1. I added a faceplate since he's always having to protect his face the most in our episodes. The tactical headset is meant to act as an enhancement to his communications and radar capabilities. It also doubles as a flash light. The body itself is noticeably edgier than the original form. I read that it helps with defensive measures by distributing the kinetic energy from impacting projectiles or whatever. Halo and Bayformers may have had an influence with its design, as well. I'm reducing his weapons down to just one sword for balance purposes. In return, he has exponentially tougher armor and bubble shield generating capabilities which will be explained in his biography for Season 2.

That's it for now. Hopefully, I'll be done with the posterior view, beast mode, and vehicle mode by the time Season 2 comes around. Let me know what you guys think so far!
Blazemane
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Unread post by Blazemane »

Sleek, and powerful looking.

Added armor? Bubble shield? The Preds are going to need some new toys.
I understand... you are, after all, a predacon.

[img]http://www.bwint.net/memberfanclubterrorsaur.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.bwint.net/bannersbfanclub2.jpg[/img]
Night-Hunter
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
Location: Looking for my sanity... *sigh* Still can't find it.

Unread post by Night-Hunter »

That is awesome!!

Makes me wonder what Sonar would look like he turned transmetal.
"The enemy of my enemy is my bro."
NaitoKage
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Unread post by NaitoKage »

Heh, guess it's good the Preds are mostly scientist and firepower types. Though I guess Steelclaw is going to want some more guns.

The design did remind me of ironman at first, but then I noticed the tactical headset and halo joints. So I'm guessing Orcariner is going to be the Jorge of the Maximals but with better toys. Tactical headset should be interesting, does it have a camera too or no?

Also, does the Bubble shield work like it does in Halo, or like Transmutate's, the axalon shield, and Trailblazer's shield?

I'm also assuming your putting some sorta gun on him?

And yes, angled plates help for armored vehicles, it's why tanks are covered in sloping angles to displace shots.

Which also leaves.. will Orcariner have a crew cabin or do they hang off the side? :P

Hm.. well if Sonar went transmetal 2.. he'd look like Sonar. *LOL* as for TM 1.. dunno, I assume probably some sorta flight boost like hovering or something of that nature.
Alak
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Unread post by Alak »

Well here's what I have so far regarding his abilities:
ABILITIES: Being a transmetal, Orcariner now has the ability to transform into a helicopter. His fins may act as hard points to attach external weaponry or seats so that he may provide aerial transport for Maximal infantry. The upgrades he had installed in his previous form are not only present, but they have been enhanced due to the removal of his old body’s power limitations. Sonar emissions are now running full time simultaneously with his advanced radar technology. The antenna is no longer housed in Orcariner’s vulnerable dorsal fin, but is now shielded beneath his circular chest piece. The gravity lifts continue to aid him in flight as well as providing the extra boost in battle when necessary. The boosters are also able to increase his underwater speeds to roughly 50 mph. One new feature obtained is the ability to emit a translucent energy shield around him. The shield resembles a dome constructed of hexagonal patterns and it also encompasses those within a 5 meter radius of his body. It is capable of absorbing the impacts of energy projectiles, explosions, and various sizes of missiles. Orcariner’s shield is capable of lasting for 20 seconds after deployment.

WEAKNESSES: The change to transmetal has taken away Orcariner’s capability of ranged combat, limiting him to the confines of close quarters battle. His large frame as well as his powerful and constant emission of radar and sonar is enough to alert the enemy base of his presence in their airfield. The sounds of his rotary blades alone are enough to alert individuals before the orca is even visible. While powerful, Orcariner’s shield requires him to put forth both arms for deployment. The energy required to maintain such a large shield also immobilizes him upon use, rendering him incapable or attacking or evading. Furthermore, the shield prevents anything larger than a .50 caliber round entering or leaving the premises. This may sometimes prove disadvantageous for allies within range of cover as Orcariner is forced to hold the shield for the entirety of its 20 second duration. With that being said, most ballistic rounds ranging from machine guns to sniper rifles may penetrate without any significant loss in velocity. The shield also has a 5 minute recharge time. Finally, due to his increased size, Orcariner is no longer able to operate anywhere inside the Axalon apart from the hanger bay.
I decided that I won't give him any guns of his own since it would create balance issues. I also specifically wanted sniper rounds to bypass the shield so that characters like Steelclaw (who I don't think is going Transmetal) can still find a way to hurt whoever's inside the shield. The biography is still being tweaked so if anyone sees discrepancies or anything that's overpowered just let me know. Oh, and as for the tactical headset acting as a recorder, I haven't thought of that but it sounds like a good idea!
Night-Hunter
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
Location: Looking for my sanity... *sigh* Still can't find it.

Unread post by Night-Hunter »

Hm.. well if Sonar went transmetal 2.. he'd look like Sonar. *LOL* as for TM 1.. dunno, I assume probably some sorta flight boost like hovering or something of that nature.
Lol. If my Sonar went TM2 he would like look like he had mange in both robot and beast mode, but sadly I have other plans for him.
"The enemy of my enemy is my bro."
Optimal Optimus Primal
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
RPG Characters: Optimus Primal, Rattrap, Rhinox, Megatron, Inferno

Unread post by Optimal Optimus Primal »

I love it! Especially since he'll be able to fly now and move quicker. :wink:
"Well, that's just prime!"
NaitoKage
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

We can usually get him to move quicker, it just.. involves being towed by a speeding penguin. Just now Orcariner has become a Maximal Gunship, they technically have two transports now.
Alak
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Unread post by Alak »

I think I can design his beast/vehicle mode to have a wide enough wingspan in order to carry two people on each of his pectoral fins. The Maximals would have to settle for tiny, cheap seats in order to make room, though. Maybe roller coaster seats?

***EDIT***

Here's my description for the colored image on my DA page:
Transmetal Orcariner in full color. The lines and schematics will be posted as well at the Beast Wars International forums. Notable inspirations for this design are:

- Other transformers (i.e.- Depth Charge, Blackout, etc.)
- Halo
- Iron Man & War Machine (mainly of the Ultimate universe)
- Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers
- Gundam
- The Vision of Escaflowne

Still working on the alternative mode illustrations.
Just in case anyone was curious to know what I was thinking of when I designed his transmetal form.
NaitoKage
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Probably folding chairs would work. :P

You'll probably also want some mounting points on Orcariner, with Icebreaker around they should be able to tow things around,winch lift allies, or even rappel off Orcariner into battle. Heck, with both together they almost make a fully functional combat/rescue helicopter. *LOL*
Alak
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Unread post by Alak »

Good point. I'll probably include mount points at places other than just the wings. Orcariner will be using both his new and improved boosters as well as the rotary blades to help him fly so he'll have pretty good towing capabilities. I haven't really thought about including search & rescue into his function, but you do bring up an interesting idea. Orcariner's role will primarily be supporting other (i.e.- defense, radar, communications, scouting, etc.) so I think rescue work can be included.