Oberon - Character WIP

Post any fics/stories/poems/scribblings here.

Moderators: Nurann, Starath, Sinead, Optimal Optimus Primal, Razor One

Razor One
Site Admin

Oberon - Character WIP

Unread post by Razor One »

A Few notes before you read on.

The following is a character extract for a Prequel series to Beast Wars that I've been imagining on the side. The series loosely connects with Beast Wars by explaining how a few of the technologies that are taken for granted (Nanites, CR Chambers, Protoforms etc) came about in addition to detailing the struggles of a small group of First generation maximals.

I've tried to avoid specific incidences with this particular character as much as possible to conceal the bulk of the plot and story. I'm not entirely certain if I've written a convincing character and as you might imagine I've put a bit of love into this character.

One final note, I'm aiming for a Noble Frankenstein angle with Oberon. When I read Frankenstein I couldnt help but sympathise with Dr. Frankensteins monster.

Err, anyway, yes, time to cease my babbling :?

Oberon is neither Maximal nor Predacon. He is a creation of Callisto, built from a maximal protoform and combined with the DNA of a long buried creature. Half Flesh, half Machine, he is told to have inherited the best of both worlds.

Upon his creation, Callisto decided to terminate Oberon simply because he could not be affected by her virus and thus not controlled. Oberon managed to escape, but was for all purposes a blank. His first memory was of betrayal and violence and by his own mother no less. He finds trust difficult.

Despite his dark origins, Oberon is a miracle of both science and nature. He does not require energon to function, though it does augment his systems to Cybertronian standards. When not subsisting off energon, he must eat and sleep as a natural organism must, and when living on energon, he is a tireless and unceasing warrior.

The flesh he possesses is perfectly married to the metallic frame of his protoform origins, veins and capillaries will melt into fluid tubes, an organic heart pumps a vile slush of blood and mech fluid, and his skin folds and melts about the exposed metallic parts of his body. He is to all cybertronians not accustomed to his appearance, a horrific sight and an abomination. More so when they discover he possesses no spark.

Despite his outward appearance, however, he is an innocent whom has only known of pain, hatred and betrayal. He often wonders about what he is, who he is, and why his mother has betrayed him. He will occasionally have “Flash backs” to a life not his own, of a strange creature of flesh. The memories often disturb him, but give him an insight to what he might be.

How he is able to survive whilst not integrated into the nano networks is frankly a mystery.

It later came to light that Oberon could not transform in the traditional sense of the word. Indeed, he was the first “Bioformer”, able to set and reset his own DNA to adopt the traits of the animal that he most required. Small scale mutations are generally easier for him to produce then major mutations. If for instance, he desires the need to cling to a wall, he can unconsciously send a message to his cells to reset and adopt the tactics that many creatures use to cling to surfaces despite gravity and can do so almost instantaneously. If he requires a major mutation however, such as wings with which to fly, he may require several days of mutation for the correct morphology.

Unfortunately, Oberon lost this ability soon after his creation as Callisto sought to destroy her creation. She created a device to permanently set the DNA into a form that she herself termed “the most wretched and disgusting form known”. The DNA that Oberon found himself stuck with was later identified to have belonged to the species identified as “Humans”.

Upon his birth, Oberon possessed no logic circuits whatsoever. Although capable of making decisions for himself, he is unable, at first to distinguish good and evil. This leads to him taking conflicting actions. For instance, he might severely damage someone and leave them dying, only to come back at the last minute to save their life.

A careful note, Oberon is not a techno-organic life form. Techno-organic life is a biotechnical fusion on the cellular level. Nor is he anything like the transformers from the Beast Wars era, who used genetic templates to emulate the local life forms using convincing synthetic materials.

Oberon can be likened to tearing out the essential parts from a protoform and sticking in the necessary organic components to replace them (altering the DNA to make it work, of course). The fusion of flesh and machine present in Oberon is crude and makeshift in comparison with later techno-organics.

In addition, the stability of the fusion of flesh and machine is highly dependant on his state of mind. With no purpose to exist, Oberon will slowly die. Initially his purpose was mere survival and revenge. When he despaired, however, he began to die, a process of his living tissue rejecting the mechanical components and killing itself in the process. He was however rescued from this fate by Ariah, who gave him a reason to live… love.
eickenberg

Unread post by eickenberg »

Have you a fllow-up on this
character?
Is it a Bioformer or Transformer?
Razor One
Site Admin

Welcome to the forums!

I've been actively working on the backstory in which this character features. It's far from complete and it'll be quite a while before this character ever sees the light of day in that continuity. Things have changed somewhat and certain details remain somewhat ambigious but a FF will eventually surface if I have sufficient time and inspiration.

As to the question of whether it's a bioformer or a transformer, I'd say it's more of a bioformer as the traditional methodology of transformation in the TF's universe doesnt follow here.

Hope that answered your questions :)
Jagna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Unread post by Jagna »

um......whts a WIP?

and i must say R1, i was scared when you said Oberon in ur title thingy........coz one of my Beast Wars chars is caled Obertron...........man o man i need to sleep! all this travelling is....bleugh!

and i loved Frankys monster too! he just needed to be loved! but i must admit, he took it overboard at one point. lol

WIP translation????? im a duffer >.<
**JAGNA**rowr
[img]http://www.bwint.net/bannertigatronfanclub.jpg[/img] || [img]http://www.bwint.net/membercheetorclub.jpg[/img]
and OP, RT and DB
Razor One
Site Admin

A WIP is a Work In Progress :)

And dont feel too bad about the naming conventions. It happens a lot in fanfiction, I have a character called Aurora in one of my fics and it just so happens that happens a lot in TF fics, you get characters called Aurora, both male and female (though Aurora strikes me as a feminine name >_>).

I name Oberon after the king of the fairies in one of shakespeares plays, though that name might change in the future if I can think of a better one to fit the character, Oberon kind of fits right now since Oberon tends towards a tolerable kind of madness.

Frankensteins monster was a wonderful character, and I think the reader is meant to feel that the monster takes things too far at certain points, still, it doesnt stop me from feeling a degree of sympathy for the creature all things said and done.

Frankenstein is a classic as far I know in characters that are their own good guys, but considered evil by all else. If you place yourself in the characters shoes, you can see why he does what he does and thus sympathise with him, but also recongise the things he does are evil in and of themselves despite the underlying motivating factors. You can condemn what he does, but you cant condemn the creature himself.

Essay Alert! Essay Alert! Kill Target Post!
Jagna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Unread post by Jagna »

heehee.

i actually based my character on king of the fairies too. well, mostly my friend's interpretation of him. a low booming and over-pronounced voice and i managed to justify it by giving him a bat/ape beast mode to make him look like a twisted fairy. teehee

*locks of essay target* not...till...SEPTEMBER! AAAAAAGH!
**JAGNA**rowr
[img]http://www.bwint.net/bannertigatronfanclub.jpg[/img] || [img]http://www.bwint.net/membercheetorclub.jpg[/img]
and OP, RT and DB