Orcariner

Post any artwork here, whether it be BW related or not.

Moderators: Nurann, Starath, Sinead, Optimal Optimus Primal, Razor One

NaitoKage
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Orcariner

Unread post by NaitoKage »

I remember saying I'd take a crack at drawing the character a long time ago, better late then never I guess. Messed with some things here and there compared to Orcariner's original art, particularly mixing things off Cybershark and Torca.

And for scale purposes our lovely bunnies.. pointing out just how size can matter when your the Maximal tank.

starshadow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Unread post by starshadow »

Holy Primus! He's HUGE and AWESOME!!
NaitoKage
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Yep, that's why I think you should switch your skill and courage ratings, it'd be more fitting and really no other Predacon would be crazy enough to get close range with him like Star does.
JazZeke
Location: Arizona, where the grass is always greener... on the other side of the state line!

Unread post by JazZeke »

Now that's an awesome design! It just SCREAMS "brute power".
Optimal Optimus Primal
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
RPG Characters: Optimus Primal, Rattrap, Rhinox, Megatron, Inferno

Unread post by Optimal Optimus Primal »

I like Alak's OC Orcariner, and I think your drawing does him justice. Awesome, NK. 8)
"Well, that's just prime!"
Blazemane
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Unread post by Blazemane »

He is huge!

Awesome.
I understand... you are, after all, a predacon.

[img]http://www.bwint.net/memberfanclubterrorsaur.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.bwint.net/bannersbfanclub2.jpg[/img]
Alak
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Unread post by Alak »

Wow... :shock: ... that was completely breath-taking and absolutely epic. I don't even remember requesting this, but holy Maximals I will download that and use it as Orcariner's profile picture. Erm... consider yourself the official RPG Directory artist.

Thank you so much for taking the time to draw this!
starshadow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

NaitoKage wrote:Yep, that's why I think you should switch your skill and courage ratings, it'd be more fitting and really no other Predacon would be crazy enough to get close range with him like Star does.
I has changed the tech specs :3
Alak
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Unread post by Alak »

starshadow wrote:I has changed the tech specs :3
Cool, thanks for the update. I went ahead and edited your profile in the directory. I also noticed that you said her profile was incomplete, so let me know if there's anything I need to change in the future :D

***EDIT***

I also revised Orcariner's stats and made him a new card.

I really wanted him to reflect the description of the "Tank" role I assigned to him. It didn't make sense to me for a lumbering giant to have a higher speed than Rhinox. I also needed to lower the firepower rating (however abysmal it was before) since it's well known in our game that Orcariner is solely a CQB fighter. He's not exactly the best marksman, so I wanted to bump it down to better reflect that. On the other hand, I moved the two lost points towards the Skill rating... even though it's the one stat that never really had much of an impact in our RPG.
starshadow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Maybe I should draw Orcariner if I have the time. :D
GoktimusPrime

Unread post by GoktimusPrime »

I like seeing all these new characters that are redecos/retools of existing BW "moulds" -- for some reason they appeal to me more than completely original designs. I guess because the toy lover in me gets excited when I see them and can easily visualise what the toy would look like. :) Has anyone ever tried to actually do a custom based on one of these characters? Orcariner might be a bit tricky as it would involve some shaving off of the shark parts (face and tail, and the gills would need to be filed off and probably have a blow hole chiseled on the top) and replacing it with either same-sized killer whale parts or sculpt them from scratch from something like Sculpey. I personally suck really bad at sculpting (and for some reason I find Sculpey and Super Sculpey to be brittle. :/

Hey... maybe if anyone knows how to use Photoshop they could do a "digibash". ;)
Image Transformers Collection Count: 1458 (UCM)
NaitoKage
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Nice.

Skill reflects more into certain functions. Basically scientific/academic types or rediculous snipers or elite ninja like warriors would take that up. Since StarShadow is more of a berserker, and Orcariner is more a berserker/fighter, they wouldn't need a ton of skill compared to someone like Tarantulus, Steelclaw, or Glowstick. I suppose it'd also act as a sorta Tie breaker in certain characters like two scientists competing in technology, or two snipers shooting. For instance, if a Maximal or Predacon are severely hurt, while Glowstick and Icebreaker serve similar roles, Glowstick is far superior at repairing and recovering a fallen ally, though at the cost at being not nearly as good in combat compared to Icebreaker.

Courage on the other hand would probably also reflect the will of a character, mostly how willing they are to their goal even at the risk of their own life, like Dinobot exceeding his endurance and dieing in a fight. Or StarShadow and Megatron awakening out of Stasis lock. Or how willing they are to suffer damage to get a edge on the enemy, like a berserker would fight. I think I may have a bit too much courage on Glowstick.. but oh well. I'll probably fix that at some point.. was also pondering ditching his sword since other then one time against Xzuk he's never used it for anything or had a need for it. Heck, last mission he tore it apart to use it for parts to make a gun.*LOL*

The low firepower is fine, your gun is a rapid weapon so it doesn't need amazingly high firepower. You would probably only use it to stun a target to get in closer to finish them with your Energon swords. I probably drew the gun as being too big, but eh. You can always do something with it, I mean technically they aren't going to limit your sonar as your special ability because it's included in your beast mode and his massive size would result in things like better radar range anyway. So you could have the gun be modified into a drone(At that size, it could be a humaniod type able to operate consoles and things he might have trouble interacting with, while still having a gun barrel on it's chest),rocket booster to be used in beast mode(it's stored as part of the tail),or some other feature not involving the gun if you wanted.

At the moment I'd say the most useless stat is Rank, simply because alot of characters have similar rank, and in the case of the Predacons they don't have any interest in following it since Sonar and Steelclaw don't have enough interest or ambition in leading on missions. Though I guess I could just have Megatron award Glowstick with a higher rank..

As for canon character stats, most of them are fairly unrealistic, and don't really reflect the characters in the show. The guides released in japan on some of the characters are ridiculous as well, one even stating Optimus Primal can fly at Mach 9.. if that was the case, he'd be able to exit the planet's gravity and go into space on his own power, or go around the entire planet in 20 to 30 minutes. Hm.. Well, he might be able to do that..*L*

A kit bash of the characters? Not really. I've done some research on how to possibly do it with Glowstick but he would need to have newly molded limbs of clear plastic, a new sculpted head, and a way of inserting or painting blue Glow in the dark powder/paint into the clear parts. Alotta effort to say the least. Icebreaker would be a nightmare to attempt to make, and StarShadow would require extensive remolding to move the cat head onto her back plus have a spring loaded chest.

Out of all of them..Steelclaw might be the easiest way to go if you ignore his weapons, he's essentially a repaint of Polarclaw/Survive/Grizzly 1, Saber and Wintersong(similar features) would require a little putty work but they'd also be possible, and Sonar is rather similar to Bat Primal so also a option but would need a new head, paint and removing the swords. Frilla could be done with a detachable frill on Iguanus and split lizard head for the bust based off StarShadow's design of her, and I think Feralnight is kinda a female repaint of Silverbolt with a shoulder cannon added so also possible.
Alak
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Unread post by Alak »

starshadow wrote:Maybe I should draw Orcariner if I have the time. :D
Go for it :)
Blazemane
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Unread post by Blazemane »

NaitoKage wrote:At the moment I'd say the most useless stat is Rank, simply because alot of characters have similar rank, and in the case of the Predacons they don't have any interest in following it since Sonar and Steelclaw don't have enough interest or ambition in leading on missions. Though I guess I could just have Megatron award Glowstick with a higher rank..
I wouldn't see any problem with that for what it's worth. It was me and Tor designating ranks, but I'm not going to try dictating character stats alone (although maybe I should've gotten back to somebody about the last few O.C.s in the application thread- Auracite, Duke/Hazard, Pinbox, Cobreania and Vanguard), and, at any rate, giving him a higher rank at this point seems logical.

On that note, it does represent a bit of character development. According to Glowstick's bio:
Glowstick is probably one of the more lazy of the Predacons, usually using his brains and mouth to talk his way out of a situation if his laser cannon can't get him out of it.
I understand... you are, after all, a predacon.

[img]http://www.bwint.net/memberfanclubterrorsaur.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.bwint.net/bannersbfanclub2.jpg[/img]
NaitoKage
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Yeah. Initially that was how he was going to be, problem was.. the rest of the predacons he was around were completely lost. The Maximals had Xzuk as a leading character at the time, the Predacons had Sonar who had to be introduced twice because he was so anti social the first time that he only "sort" of remotely spoke to Glowstick by accident, a Homicidal canibal that almost nobody got along with, Snowtrix who generally dislikes being around others for long as well, Frilla is more interested in research then anything else, Luna a hippy Predacon that thinks the Maximals are out to destroy the world.. which I wasn't sure how that was going to work out with Glowstick setting half the woods on fire anytime he turned the transport on.. and Tantrum the Multi gendered crazed cow bot.. So Glowstick kinda ended up having to grow up from being a lazy raver kid. He also ended up suffering mild insomniatic insanity in the first OC mission..

He does still generally use his mouth if his laser cannon can't fix the problem though.. He just happens to be good at manipulating people with logic.. or threats of poison if they're like StarShadow. lol Alrighty, I'll update that stuff.