Deeper meaning to the Protoform X project?

Where we talk about nothing other than that. :)

Moderators: Nurann, Starath, Sinead, Optimal Optimus Primal, Razor One

una
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
RPG Characters: Whitegrazer, TyCross, and Blackarachnia

Deeper meaning to the Protoform X project?

Unread post by una »

Why would the Maximals try to make an immortal being?

For science?

I feel the Maximal Elders had ulterior motives for such a project. I mean if they had succeeded, they could have made more immortal Maximals and gain an army, preparing for war or retaliation if the Tripedicus Council tried anything. Science has always been used to fuel war in some way or other. More advancements in technology which means more weapons to be created and used.

With the Tripedicus Council plotting and the Maximals Elders' doing such extreme experiments...

It makes you see that this peace is nothing more than like Predacons reloading their weapons and the Maximals secretly doing so as well.
Last edited by una on Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rakshash

Unread post by Rakshash »

I was thinking about this just a day ago. It's actually pretty realistic. It's exactly what's going on in the real world today. Countries talk peace but still pour money into weapons and wars. People talk about winning the hearts and minds of people and don't talk about the civilian deaths. What is talked about and what happens are different things.
I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word in reality. This is why right, temporarily defeated, is stronger than evil triumphant.
— Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
JazZeke
Location: Arizona, where the grass is always greener... on the other side of the state line!

Unread post by JazZeke »

First, there are so many applications to creating indestructible beings, I think it goes without asking.

Second, "more deeper"? You have offended my inner grammar Nazi. He has removed his monocle and is now loading bullets into his Luger.
WorpeX
Ultra Poster!
Ultra Poster!

Unread post by WorpeX »

Immortal my foot. He got energon, right through his twisted spark!
GoktimusPrime

Unread post by GoktimusPrime »

Protoform X was created as an attempt to create an immortal spark. There was at least one Transformer who naturally had a mutant immortal Spark -- that was the Decepticon Air Commander Starscream. Hence why when Galvatron destroyed him in Transformers: The Movie, instead of returning to the Matrix like all other Transformer Sparks, Starscream's Spark became a Ghost and wandered through time and space... at one point even arriving at pre-historic Earth where he possessed Waspinator for a while. Maximal scientists created Protoform X in an attempt to recreate the mutation that led to the creation of Starscream's immortal Spark.

Also... how do we know that X's Spark wasn't immortal? Yes, his body was destroyed... but did his Spark ever return to the Matrix or has it become a Spark-Ghost like Starscream's? My guess is that it did return to the Matrix and never became a Spark-Ghost. How do I know this? Cos TakaraTOMY's never made a clear "ghost" variant of the Rampage toy! :D :p :) (nyuck nyuck nyuck)
Image Transformers Collection Count: 1458 (UCM)
una
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
RPG Characters: Whitegrazer, TyCross, and Blackarachnia

Unread post by una »

*breaks Luger* Fixed :lol:

Of course,it goes without saying that the Maximal Elders are not as noble as we believed them to be and we could called them irresponsible by just dumping their failure into a barren world and not even taking responsiblity for it.

It gives me the impression that the Maximal Elders will attempt the project again. :shock:
Night-Hunter
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
Location: Looking for my sanity... *sigh* Still can't find it.

Unread post by Night-Hunter »

Ok if any one said this before me, I'm sorry for repeating it. I think the only reason they did the whole protoform X thing was to make a weapon of mass destruction and like most of Wheeljacks inventions, it back fired. Does any one else think that Wheeljack was part of the Protoform X project?
"The enemy of my enemy is my bro."
SkyxDB
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Unread post by SkyxDB »

Ok if any one said this before me, I'm sorry for repeating it. I think the only reason they did the whole protoform X thing was to make a weapon of mass destruction and like most of Wheeljacks inventions, it back fired. Does any one else think that Wheeljack was part of the Protoform X project?Ok if any one said this before me, I'm sorry for repeating it. I think the only reason they did the whole protoform X thing was to make a weapon of mass destruction and like most of Wheeljacks inventions, it back fired. Does any one else think that Wheeljack was part of the Protoform X project?
Erm, I don't think so, because I think Wheeljack got killed off in the G1 movie.
I demand cookies!
GoktimusPrime

Night-Hunter wrote:Ok if any one said this before me, I'm sorry for repeating it. I think the only reason they did the whole protoform X thing was to make a weapon of mass destruction and like most of Wheeljacks inventions, it back fired. Does any one else think that Wheeljack was part of the Protoform X project?
There's not a shred of evidence to suggest that Wheeljack was involved. Why can't it just be Maximal scientists? Why do Autobots have to be directly involved? It was pretty much the Maximals trying to play god... whether or not they wanted to use it with a military application or civil application or whatever... who knows.

The only Autobot involvement we could possibly link it with would be the Maximal Imperium -- Ironhide, Silverbolt (G1) and Prowl (G1, the original Prowl, not Prowl II). i.e. the three Autobots reformatted as Maximals who combine to form Magnaboss (whereas the Predacon's leadership is comprised of the 3 generals who combine to form Tripredacus). If Protoform X was something approved by the Maximal Imperium (which it probably was), then that would implicate those three ex-Autobots.
SkyxDB wrote:Erm, I don't think so, because I think Wheeljack got killed off in the G1 movie.
Yes, but he somehow came back to life later. His resurrection was never explained, but we did see him, Perceptor and Minerva rebuild God Ginrai into Victory Leo.

Image <--Wheeljack and Minerva
Alak
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Unread post by Alak »

Wheeljack probably just woke up some time later and decided to fix himself on the spot.
JazZeke
Location: Arizona, where the grass is always greener... on the other side of the state line!

Unread post by JazZeke »

GoktimusPrime wrote:
Night-Hunter wrote:Ok if any one said this before me, I'm sorry for repeating it. I think the only reason they did the whole protoform X thing was to make a weapon of mass destruction and like most of Wheeljacks inventions, it back fired. Does any one else think that Wheeljack was part of the Protoform X project?
There's not a shred of evidence to suggest that Wheeljack was involved. Why can't it just be Maximal scientists? Why do Autobots have to be directly involved? It was pretty much the Maximals trying to play god... whether or not they wanted to use it with a military application or civil application or whatever... who knows.

The only Autobot involvement we could possibly link it with would be the Maximal Imperium -- Ironhide, Silverbolt (G1) and Prowl (G1, the original Prowl, not Prowl II). i.e. the three Autobots reformatted as Maximals who combine to form Magnaboss (whereas the Predacon's leadership is comprised of the 3 generals who combine to form Tripredacus). If Protoform X was something approved by the Maximal Imperium (which it probably was), then that would implicate those three ex-Autobots.
Especially Prowl. He's since gone on to be characterized as a Magnificent Bastard thanks to Nick Roche and he's become such a potentially interesting character. Gray-area machinations for the win!
SkyxDB wrote:Erm, I don't think so, because I think Wheeljack got killed off in the G1 movie.
Yes, but he somehow came back to life later. His resurrection was never explained, but we did see him, Perceptor and Minerva rebuild God Ginrai into Victory Leo.

Image <--Wheeljack and Minerva
Japanese series aren't necessarily canon in the States. :P
Alak
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Unread post by Alak »

JazZeke wrote:Japanese series aren't necessarily canon in the States. :P
I kind of feel this way, too. I never considered Beast Wars anime to be canon until the characters were included in the American comics. That's why I never bought a toy that didn't appear in the show.
GoktimusPrime

Beast Wars has always been part of the same canon as G1/G2, although it's more like part of the the overall G1-G2 continuity family rather than being tied to any one specific G1 continuity. This is pretty much because when Larry DiTillio and Bob Forward first started writing Beast Wars they knew next to nothing about Transformers, so they went and did their own research and also spoke to Transformers fans online via ATT (alt.toys.transformers) and they drew from various different G1 sources such as the cartoon, comics, tech spec bios etc. That's why Beast Wars seems to make references to different G1 continuities - which, if you take it at face value, contradicts each other. The Beast Wars anime series were intended to be an expansion of the Canadian cartoon series, much in the same way that the G1 UK Marvel Comics were meant to be an expansion of the US Marvel Comics. The American comics actually contradicts all this (well, particularly The Ascending -- The Gathering is ambiguous enough that it could still have fitted into the mainstream Beast Wars continuity), thus places itself in its own separate micro-continuity.

There are a lot of nice toys that never appeared in the show, e.g. Razorbeast, Spittor, B'Boom, Scavenger etc. Most BW toys never appeared in the Canadian cartoon series because of the prohibitive costs of CG animation. With CG animation Hasbro had to pay Mainframe to construct 3D models for each character -- and in the case of Transformers you're talking about at least 2 models for each character (one for robot mode another for beast mode). On the other hand almost every Beast Wars II and Beast Wars Neo toy appeared in the Beast Wars anime because hand-drawn cel animation is relatively much cheaper since they don't have to construct 3D models. But any BW toy that didn't appear in the cartoon has since made an appearance in the comics anyway. There aren't many BW toys that haven't made some kind of canonical appearance at one stage or another.
Darkshadow14
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Unread post by Darkshadow14 »

I'm pretty sure this is a common question as well as a common theme BW fan have wrote about. Of course, me being a loyal Rampage fan am working on a series write now that has to do with X.

I think they wanted to see if it was possible. Could something/someone really be immortal? He was called an experiment, and I think that's what he was supposed to be. Never to really have a life, to be locked up for sometime. To study him and his ways.

If you were immortal what would you do? But bare in mind you are an experiment! Constantely being tested on, he could still feel pain, remember. Others laughed and called you a freak, never knowing what happyness was/is. That's sort of my thought on X's meaning...and later on even though it may not seem like it it in a sense; he made DC stronger. By killing those he loved and cared about.

So even though X did so many B.A.D. things, he also helped DC reunite with his family... (When he died) I guess. Okay kinda babbling, but yeah. lol
GoktimusPrime

Protoform X is kinda like Frankenstein's Monster... something created by crazy scientists but still endowed with sentience and emotions, but feared and hated from the moment he was "born". Rampage is a product of the loveless and abusive life that he's had since creation. A lot of what Rampage says and does shows the innate hurt that he feels, but the episode "Transmutate" also shows his capacity to care for another and his basic desire to belong. Even Silverbolt saw this and pitied him at the end of the episode, hence why he told the other Maximals to leave him alone to grieve for the loss of Transmutate... the only other being that Rampage had ever cared for and had actually made some kind of familial bond with.

"I regret everything, my sweet." - Rampage