So, it has been a year...

A section for online Role Playing Games of a Beasties nature.

Moderators: Nurann, Starath, Sinead, Optimal Optimus Primal, Razor One

Blazemane
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

So, it has been a year...

Unread post by Blazemane »

While technically where I live it's been a year and a day, according to the time zone that is the basis for this board (equal to London's time I believe, at least for part of the year), it has been exactly one year since the Beast Wars Role Play was begun.

(First post and subsequent thread)

We have written 101 pages, including ones that aren't completely full.

So what is the significance of it having been a year since we started?

I'm not sure, but I felt it should be noted.
I understand... you are, after all, a predacon.

[img]http://www.bwint.net/memberfanclubterrorsaur.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.bwint.net/bannersbfanclub2.jpg[/img]
Night-Hunter
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
Location: Looking for my sanity... *sigh* Still can't find it.

Unread post by Night-Hunter »

While technically where I live it's been a year and a day, according to the time zone that is the basis for this board (equal to London's time I believe, at least for part of the year), it has been exactly one year since the Beast Wars Role Play was begun.

We have written 101 pages, including ones that aren't completely full.

So what is the significance of it having been a year since we started?

I'm not sure, but I felt it should be noted.
Wow how time flies when your having fun. ^_^
"The enemy of my enemy is my bro."
Optimal Optimus Primal
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
RPG Characters: Optimus Primal, Rattrap, Rhinox, Megatron, Inferno

Unread post by Optimal Optimus Primal »

Thank you for pointing this out, Blazemane. I'm really quite surprised that it has been a year already since we begun. I think it has had its ups and downs; not sure if there's one that towers over the other, but I've been enjoying most of it.

I'm sorry if I've been lagging in the game, guys. I've been awfully busy lately. I was getting hammered with one snowstorm after another that often brought one to almost two feet of snow in every storm, and that had me shoveling a lot. It's warming up now so tomorrow might be the last snowfall for this season. I've also bought an electric guitar and have started taking lessons, so I try to spend some time practicing almost every night after work. And then there's my drawings, pets, exercising, work, movies, and it's the time of year when several of my favorite shows are beginning new seasons so I like to watch them when they're on. But while I may be slow to post, I WILL catch up and do so, hopefully within five days depending on the speed of the game. As for filling in for other characters who need a push, I may not have time for that for a while. Whoever is able to help me with that, it would be greatly appreciated.

We do need to get rolling again with Chain of Command and the OC threads, so I hope people will be around to post more on a regular basis so the RPG can move forward to the next episodes.

Thank you to everyone who has come together and participated with the game! Is there anyone who might be looking for improvements for the game? Suggestions, comments and questions are always encouraged. :D
"Well, that's just prime!"
Blazemane
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Hmmm... I am thinking we should talk to Una.

She said she could be incredibly patient waiting to introduce her season 2 character, but we have only managed to get into our 3rd episode in the space of a year, which means it would take years further to get to a time where characters can be transmetallized.

So she really should jump in with a season one Angel. I feel bad she's even waited this long.

On that note...

D'ah. I know we hinted at this earlier, but I don't think we really made a clear cut decision about it- how do we keep things moving? I mean, real life is an extremely important factor to the people playing here, but if it takes an average of four months (actually a little bit over) to tell a story that takes twenty minutes on t.v., there might be a problem.

Like I said, I know real life is more important. For example (and I don't want to speak for her, so she can specify if she wants for herself), I know Venatrix has a pressing matter right now, and that's been keeping her.

But, given all we have to deal with in our real lives... does that perhaps just mean this is the fastest we're going to get? Because if it does, well then, so be it. Role play is bottom priority. But if there is a way to speed things up, then that would be good.

And it's not just the established script that's having trouble moving. Because the O.C.'s are rather dependent on the script for taking their cues for development, it means we haven't actually seen some of the potential things hinted at in biographies.

For example, Sonar just arrived this episode, and that thread is still being worked out, so he and Saber haven't really met, and she hasn't even unveiled her angry side to the Maximals yet (and I get the feeling Night Hunter would love writing a scene like that).

Ocariner hasn't really had a chance to show much knowledge from his studies back on Cybertron (though he did do some work on the Axalon). Venatrix hasn't even stabbed anyone yet. I'd love to get the opportunity to see something in Valkyrie that foreshadows how she could eventually even consider becoming a Predacon, much less actually become one (I think this is a result of her desire for perfection, if I analyze the way she's designed correctly). Wintersong actually has been rather elusive as her bio states, but it'd be interesting to see how the rest of the Maximals think about that.

I get the feeling that the rate of our role playing has been stifling the opportunities for these characters' developments.

And that, too, means the canons haven't had much opportunity for development either. Explanation of cannon character's actions seems one of the main reasons we've actually liked the idea of repeating Beast Wars plot, so if the development of the canon's gets slowed down, than that kinda' defeats the purpose.
Last edited by Blazemane on Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[img]http://www.bwint.net/memberfanclubterrorsaur.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.bwint.net/bannersbfanclub2.jpg[/img]
Alak
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Unread post by Alak »

Thanks for pointing out the OCs, Blazemane! I'd definitely like to see some more character development, but I guess the opportunity just hasn't really presented itself yet (or we just haven't made one for ourselves). Orcariner's been helping out with building temporary bases in Blitzkrieg and OC Episode #1, but that's like asking a kid to build a sand castle lol. We definitely have a lot of interesting characters like Valkyrie and Steelclaw who have pasts that I'd like to see elaborated on.

Oh, and I know that some people had interests in switching factions down the road. It's still kind of early, but maybe we could throw in a few hints or factors that could lead to such a change.
Blazemane
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Right, and I think speed is the main problem because the writers want to be logical about when things happen to their characters.

For example, if Steelclaw was to act passively, then act completely vindictively and try his hardest to wreck everyone, and then give some sort of Hannibal Lecture, and then retire back to a docile mood in the space of half an episode (about two months writing time), there'd be trouble.

And yeah, characters who want to switch sides... will their writers even care if the problem is stretched out over years?

una
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
RPG Characters: Whitegrazer, TyCross, and Blackarachnia

Unread post by una »

Awwww If you guys want to, I could bring Angel in but after awhile, I have been meaning to change her alittle to be alittle more realistic...

I'll do that when I have the time.

Just been sooo busy lately like you guys!
Blazemane
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

By all means Una, bring Angel in!

Phoenix
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
RPG Characters: Nemesis,Aurora,Zodiac

Unread post by Phoenix »

One year and the rpg is currently on episode 5, having skipped a couple along the way. :) Just 47 more to go!

I'm glad there is a non-official rpg available for those interested in participating in a more free-style rpg. Although sadly there's just not enough time for me to join either game due to school taking up an insane amount of time for me. :(
una
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
RPG Characters: Whitegrazer, TyCross, and Blackarachnia

Unread post by una »

I edited her profile to be more realistic...I hope!

Okay, I will post her now!
Optimal Optimus Primal
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

I've been trying to think of some ways to make the first season quicker so those who are waiting for their characters' entrances in the second or third season won't have to wait forever.

Seeing as episodes literally take us months to get through, I propose that we skip the Trigger Parts 1 & 2. I know they have some significance to the Vok but I don't feel it as important to elaborate on those episodes. Plus two-part episodes take us twice as long to get through as single ones.

Also, we have about twice as many characters on each side for both Maximals and Predacons than they did on the show thanks to all of the OC's currently in the game. I think we can use this to our advantage much like we are already with Chain of Command and Blitzkrieg. First season canons who need to arrive yet, we can combine those episodes into one (maybe just combine two episodes at a time). For instance, Airazor's and Blackarachnia's arrivals can be RPed at the same time. Rhinox and Cheetor can easily get that done together just like they did on the show, and they can have some help if they need it (Valkyrie, Icebreaker, whoever). And since Optimus and others were hardly in that episode (The Spark) but WERE in Blackarachnia's (Double Jeopardy), he and a group can focus on that one while Rhinox retrieves Airazor. And the Predacons can adjust who goes after which stasis pod accordingly. This might be able to save us several months playing two episodes at the same time instead of doing them individually. Inferno's (Spider's Game) and Tigatron's (Fallen Comrades) episodes could be combined as well. And before we know it, we'll be at the end of the first season, and if anyone wants more focus on their OC characters' developments, we can add an episode or two for you which could involve specific or all canons depending on what's going on. Or we can add little side stories to the combined episodes (maybe a separate topic like we've done with Blitzkrieg). Any thoughts on this?

I don't want to rush through the first season, although I think that's what we've been doing already just so we can get to the end and allow others to join, because I DO want to see a lot of development with the OC characters since we don't know where some of them are heading and some of the secrets they carry with them.
Blazemane
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

First season canons who need to arrive yet, we can combine those episodes into one...
That sounds fascinating.

I do have one thought. Tigatron is one of the main Maximals involved in trying to keep Inferno a Maximal in "Spider's Game", so combining that episode with the episode of Tigatron's arrival would be un-do-able unless we decide to switch Tigatron out of the Inferno episode. But I kinda' think a switch like that would be unfortunate since that's actually a key episode for him (Not that "Fallen Comrades" isn't, but he wouldn't even be there until the last three pages, so he doesn't get too much development. He gets his most important development- his very existence, but that still doesn't leave his author with much to write).
I don't want to rush through the first season, although I think that's what we've been doing already just so we can get to the end and allow others to join...
I really don't think we have been rushing since we are on our third (and third prime) episode. I want to see O.C.'s developed too, but I think it's actually the slowness that's holding the development off right now. Going too fast would, admittedly, be problematic, but the avoidance of one problem shouldn't keep us in the opposite problem- we should look for the solution.

I am interested though, OOP, you said we're already rushing- and if we are that would be a problem which should be fixed. So (and I mean this with no assumptions) how exactly are we rushing right now?

Optimal Optimus Primal
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

I am interested though, OOP, you said we're already rushing- and if we are that would be a problem which should be fixed. So (and I mean this with no assumptions) how exactly are we rushing right now?
Oh, sorry, Blazemane. :lol: I guess what I meant by "rushing" was that we already cut out tons of episodes of the first season, and now I was thinking of cutting more or combining them, leaving less opportunities for OC's to expand on character development.
I do have one thought. Tigatron is one of the main Maximals involved in trying to keep Inferno a Maximal in "Spider's Game", so combining that episode with the episode of Tigatron's arrival would be un-do-able unless we decide to switch Tigatron out of the Inferno episode.
Well, whichever two episodes could work together. I just wanted to give an example. If anyone liked the idea, then we could work out the details.
But, given all we have to deal with in our real lives... does that perhaps just mean this is the fastest we're going to get? Because if it does, well then, so be it.
What you said in an earlier post, Blazemane, may just be it too. No matter what we do to try and speed up the first season, or the game in general, it could continue to just stay at its current rate of posting. I'm running out of ideas and hate that we sacrificed some of the "fun" episodes that some members playing certain characters would have enjoyed but I don't want people to wait for years to join in later on.
Blazemane
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

What you said in an earlier post, Blazemane, may just be it too. No matter what we do to try and speed up the first season, or the game in general, it could continue to just stay at its current rate of posting. I'm running out of ideas and hate that we sacrificed some of the "fun" episodes that some members playing certain characters would have enjoyed but I don't want people to wait for years to join in later on.
Well, looks like that's that then.

Summer is coming which should give people more time. And, with Una sending Angel in (as she has), it's not so much worrying about getting new characters in anymore as it is about having those characters who rely on specific episodes get to those episodes.