Question about Primal and Megatron...

Where we talk about nothing other than that. :)

Moderators: Nurann, Starath, Sinead, Optimal Optimus Primal, Razor One

Starath
Site Admin

Question about Primal and Megatron...

Unread post by Starath »

Hi everyone. I'm not dead. xD I'm just in college.

So, last night I watched the first three episodes of Beast Wars when I noticed something: From the start, Optimus Primal and Megatron already seem to know each other. That's the feeling I get, anyway: They already know each other by name, and they already seem to know their reputations. Does anyone know why? There might be a back story I'm not aware of.

It makes sense that Primal would know Megatron in my mind, because I imagine he was a wanted criminal back on Cybertron. As far as I know, Primal happened to be on the exploration ship that could track the Darkside through transwarp space. So how would Megatron know about him?

Although, since it was the first two episodes where I noticed this, it could just be the way the story was set up for immediate conflict. I love BW so much, but the first few episodes are not the greatest in terms of story cuz of the corniness.

Anyway, off I go to class now. :mrgreen:
"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
--Adam Savage, Mythbusters

[img]http://www.bwint.net/megfanclubbanner3.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.bwint.net/memberdcfanclub.jpg[/img]

"You're... [i]real![/i]"
una
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
RPG Characters: Whitegrazer, TyCross, and Blackarachnia

Unread post by una »

I wouldn't push it pass Megatron to know all of the Maximals even before they knew him.
SkyxDB
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Unread post by SkyxDB »

Honestly, I'm not reallt sure how they would know each other. Though I did once read a fan fic where they used to date. XD And I think I even read one once where they were brothers, but in my oppinion both of those seem unlikely.
I demand cookies!
Phoenix
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
RPG Characters: Nemesis,Aurora,Zodiac

Unread post by Phoenix »

The brothers idea is overdone. They even did it in the live action TF movie. Megatron probably had a bad reputation, but perhaps they had encountered each other in battle or in some other way on Cybertron as well?
SilverfromOZ
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Unread post by SilverfromOZ »

Well according to all the TF books and thingies I have read, Meg's backstory is that he was the very last Predacon commander to stand down after the Predacon's accepted the Pax Cybertronia treaty. I can't actually remember if he kept fighting on Cybertron afterwards or whether he grudgingly accepted the decision and plotted and schemed to get the golden disk (as Megs tends to do). So I figure Optimus would have known Megatron as Megs had already grown in his infamy through these actions.

Perhaps Megatron had encountered Optimus on the battlefield during this time, however I like Una's statement that Megs is as VERY well researched Cybertronian and probably has files for each and every Maximal.

Thats my view on it anyway :D
It's ok sir. I'll be fine...

Just listen to your commander, bonebrain!

Yes dear...
Alak
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Unread post by Alak »

Ok, here are my guesses lol.

1) Optimus Primal knew who Megatron was because the Maximal security forces identified him through the radio. Law enforcement derived that the criminals who stole the Darksyde and the golden discs (latter confirmed through confrontations). When Primal is call upon to pursue him due to being the closest vessel with a transwarp drive, the Maximal security force most likely gave him the enemy ship's name, design, new captain, estimated number on board (Primal stated this knowledge at the end of Beast Wars Part 1), and other necessary data.

2) Megatron knew who Optimus Primal was via the Darksyde's databanks. The Darksyde was originally a Maximal vessel (I think) when it was stolen, so I'd assume that it has a list of all other Maximal vessels and their respective captains. When the Axalon first engages the Darksyde, Megatron most likely would have ordered a crew member to identify the name and make of the pursuing ship. Once the name "Axalon" appears, the name "Optimus Primal" should be registered with it. Ship and captain registrations could possibly be mandatory in order to identify and reclaim vessels stolen by pirates/criminals.
Darkshadow14
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Unread post by Darkshadow14 »

now i thought it was just because megs was a wanted criminal just like how when someone watches the news they know the criminals...well know of them i guess. because wasn't megs supposed to be pretty much one of the worst preds out there?
Starath
Site Admin

Unread post by Starath »

Una and Silver, you guys make a good point. Megatron is the kind of guy to just know stuff. Or, he's the kinda guy who has the incentive to go learn stuff before he actually needs to use the information for something. That's one reason I like him so much, lol. :mrgreen:

Hmm. Megatron's backstory sounds interesting. I always wondered what he was up to before the Beast Wars. We know all about what he was like during the war and afterward, but his past is something unknown to me.

Alak, your possibilities sound interesting too. They make sense. Who can tell, though? xD My curiosity is satisfied now, thanks. I'll probably think of other stuff while I rewatch BW.... Like the ongoing disagreement there seems to be between Dinobot and Megatron. I haven't a clue over what it could be. Maybe it's the reason why Megatron seems to like cloning him? o_O
"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
--Adam Savage, Mythbusters

[img]http://www.bwint.net/megfanclubbanner3.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.bwint.net/memberdcfanclub.jpg[/img]

"You're... [i]real![/i]"
Dalgaroth

Unread post by Dalgaroth »

I agree with Alak! That's what I was thinkin'. Also, maybe they exchanged some brief banter during their fight before the Transwarp jump. I can't really imagine that Megatron went into battle without gloating over the radio. xD The bantered a bit, jumped, and then focused their energies on staying alive/fighting/dragging out the irony. :shrug:
Image This egg has a Predacon symbol, yess. Image