Fanfic Author Interviews

Post any fics/stories/poems/scribblings here.

Moderators: Nurann, Starath, Sinead, Optimal Optimus Primal, Razor One

Joshin Yasha

Fanfic Author Interviews

Unread post by Joshin Yasha »

Hey everyone,

I found this on a website today, and sort of shifted it to reflect BW/G1 fanfics. If anyone's interested in answering questions, feel free to do so :) I ask, to make it interesting, that if you decide to answer, that you answer at least 5 (they can be random). All fanfic writers are welcome!

======================

Where are you from?

When and why did you begin writing?

What inspired you to write your first BW/G1 fanfic?

Do you have a specific writing style?

How do you come up with a title?

Is there a message in your BW/G1 fanfic that you want readers to grasp?

How much of the BW/G1 fanfic is realistic?

Are experiences based on someone you know, or events in your own life?

What books have influenced your life the most?

If you had to choose, which writer (professional or amateur) would you consider a mentor?

What book are you reading now?

Are there any BW fanfic authors that have grasped your interest?

What are your current projects?

Do you see writing as a career?

If you had to do it all over again, would you change anything in your latest BW/G1 fanfic?

Do you recall how your interest in writing originated?

Can you share a little of your current work with us?

Is there anything you find particularly challenging in your writing?

Who is your favorite author (professional or amateur) and what is it that really strikes you about their work?

Have you/do you consider creating artwork to accompany your BW/G1 fanfic?

What was the hardest part of writing your BW/G1 fanfic?

Did you learn anything from writing your fanfic and what was it?

Do you have any advice for other writers?

Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers?
Don't fret precious I'm here....
[img]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y66/joshinyasha/joshinsig.jpg[/img]
....Count the bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
Night-Hunter
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
Location: Looking for my sanity... *sigh* Still can't find it.

Unread post by Night-Hunter »

Where are you from?
I'm from Buckely Washington State.
I started writing in the seventh grade accidently writing War of the Wolves and i started to like writing so i after i found Fanfic.net i started writing for it.
By watching Beast wars and Transformers.
I like writing in third person but i also like writing in first person it gives the reader an inside view of the character.
It depends on what the story is about.
Well for Transformers The Next Generation (i'm still writing) my OC Blood-Spill isn't really evil but he's in way to deep, so what i'm trying to say is that not all Con's choose to be evil.
I have no idea.
Nope.
Well when i wrote War of the Wolves it was after I read "The Sight." It gave me an idea for my story but by accident.
If you had to choose, which writer (professional or amateur) would you consider a mentor?
If it would help me be a better writer yes.
Mostly Fanfics but i'm also reading "Night World" Vol. one
Yes theres actually a few Fanfic authors that have, one to many to name.
I have a four that are still not done, but my current project is Trasnformers The Next Generation.
Yes i do.
If you had to do it all over again, would you change anything in your latest BW/G1 fanfic?
Idk maybe if i had to.
Yes after reading the book called "The Sight" if helpped me accidently write "War of the Wolves"
I'd love to but might take to long, sorry.
Coming up with ideas and writers block.
Who is your favorite author (professional or amateur) and what is it that really strikes you about their work?
I have quite a few favorite Authors (professional and amateur) and i can't think of there names right now.
If i could draw i would but i can't draw anything to save my life lol.
Coming up with OC's, writers block and coming up with a good story.
Nothing that i can think of at the moment.
Take your time, there's no need to rush into writing your stories.
Nothing that would sound really stupid and corny.
"The enemy of my enemy is my bro."
Jagna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Unread post by Jagna »

Cool! I'll give it a whirl :D

- Funnily enough, Beast Machines. I had the idea of writing for fun before, but that tore it. I wasn't entirely happy with its plot or character mutilati...sorry, /development/, and stubbornly thought I could do better. In my eyes, I have :P As for other people's opinions, I'm not so confident XD

- I write what I see in my head; how I'd like to be told the story so I can visualise it. I.e. very descriptive and systematic (to a certain extent :P)

- The good people of BWInt here helped me out! ^_^

- Hm, I haven't really thought about that...I like to think that there are lots of different messages portrayed in each of my chapters :)

- My initial reaction is NONE OF IT :P But I like to think that how the characters react in a situation (no matter how unrealistic the character or situation) WOULD be realistic...were they real...make sense? XD

- Starath's fics and Beastbot's series. But it's been a while >.>

- Apart from the writing style, nah. I take it as an experience, and I wouldn't want to erase my 'mistakes'. I think it's good to look back :)

- http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4025317/1/B ... Volume_One
- http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4923691/7/B ... Volume_Two
Heh. Couldn't think of a specific extract :P

- Sometimes just finding the time or inspiration to sit down and get going! UGH! That's so frustrating! >.< I'm sure everyone who has ever written agrees.

-Regularly. Sometimes, it's all I can think of drawing O-o

- Keeping consistent with character development, both canon and original characters. But that's mostly to do with the fact that I have OVER 60!

- Try looking at your work from others' eyes every now and then. I mean that it two ways: 1) Would it grab your attention if you hadn't read it? and 2) Does it make sense? Hah, I've neglected that on a few occasions XD And despite what I said in the first point, it's your fic. Enjoy it. Even if not many other people do, rejoice in your satisfaction that you have done it! :D

- Hope you enjoy it as much as I do! Even if it's not your cup of tea, I appreciate the time you took to read it, and if you read it regularly, thanks ever so much! ^_^

Thank Joshin, this was fun! :wink:
**JAGNA**rowr
[img]http://www.bwint.net/bannertigatronfanclub.jpg[/img] || [img]http://www.bwint.net/membercheetorclub.jpg[/img]
and OP, RT and DB
Joshin Yasha

Unread post by Joshin Yasha »

Hehehe, I'm wondering if Sapph would let me make up actually author interview pages for people who fill this out :3 I think it'd be a lovely addition to the website :)
Don't fret precious I'm here....
[img]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y66/joshinyasha/joshinsig.jpg[/img]
....Count the bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
Sapphire
Site Admin

Unread post by Sapphire »

Sure, why not? :) I'll put them up in the tentatively planned December update (not this weekend's one).
[url=http://www.bwint.net/fanclubrattrap.htm][img]http://www.bwint.net/memberrattrapclub1.jpg[/img][/url] || [img]http://www.bwint.net/fanclubrampagebanner1.jpg[/img]
Razor One
Site Admin

Unread post by Razor One »

Where are you from?

Australia :)

I began as soon as I could pick up a pen. As to why... well, why does anyone write to be honest? Most of us have a story to tell.

To be honest I cant really remember. Looking back over my first submissions over three years ago I can scarcely recognise where I was going or coming from.

Not really... I'll write in the style most appropriate to the story I'm trying to tell. I dont like the idea of developing a style and altering my stories to fit it, I feel it will detract from the overall idea I'm trying to convey.

Often I'll write my story without a title and then draw the title from there. Other times, I come up with the title and draw out a story from there. Eternal shore was written with the former method, the Rise of Aurora featured as a serial in the newsletter was done with the latter.

Message implies an agenda... I just have a story to tell :)

Not a lot of it, though most fiction tends to be that way. Do we honestly want to know the precise gruelling details of Rattrap on Monitor duty? Do we dare delve into the minutiae of exactly what he had for lunch?

When it comes down to it readers dont want realism, not hard realism anyway. They want a fantastic story of drama, love, hate, intrigue, actions and explosions but by that same token they dont want it over the top. How many times can you honestly blow up a moon?

Considering what I do to my characters sometimes, thankfully not!

Wow, good question! I'd have to say most of the books by the classic Science Fiction authors, HG Wells, Verne, Arthur C. Clarke, Asimov, Philip K. Dick and so many others! I've done so much reading over so many years that it's not easy to name the books that have influenced me the most.

Asimov, definitely. His Foundation series is truly riveting.

Legends of Dune - The Butlerian Jihad by Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson. It's a dune series prequel... I've read it before and this would be my third or fourth time through... definitely a worthy read I think ;)

Currently in the BW universe is the Nanowars Prequel that still has yet to be written (LOL!) and the Aurora Serial that is grinding along slowly.

Outside the Beast Wars universe I'm currently writing quite a few fics for the Farscape universe. My latest are two series, Uncharted History and A Fork in the Road.

Absolutely. Now if only I could make money out of it :P

In the Aurora serial? No, not at all. In some of my past fiction? Well... Regrets? I've had a few; But too few to mention

I suppose it all began back in kindergarden. I spent more of my time daydreaming then listening and paying attention. In those daydreams I dreamt of flying, fighting, being a hero and fighting villains... after a while I found out that I could transcribe those daydreams to paper... and that totally blew my mind.

Years later, I think my mind is still somewhat blown.

Sure! Here's an excerpt of the newest Aurora Serial!

As a quick caveat though, I think I ought to remind the reader that the Character of Razor One that I use in the stories is not a self insert. Back when I registered for the forums I'd just invented the Character and the name was good as a handle.

Razor One stood above Delta Scion with a murderous intent in his eyes.

“You damned butcher! How does it feel to be helpless like your victims?” he said with a very un-maximal like contempt.

“How does it feel to be the transgressor? To stare into your victims’ optics and know the power you have over them?” she countered with an even calm that contrasted with his seething rage and served only to incite him.

“You dare play the victim card? You’re a monster Delta.”

“A monster and more!” yelled Delta, “I admit it! I’ve done horrific things in Callisto’s name! I won’t deny my part, my hand in all the things she has inflicted upon you, upon your friends, and upon the countless innocents she and I have slaughtered together!”

“You… admit it?” Razor was taken aback. He had expected her to spout the false dogma fed to her by Callisto, he had expected her to do anything at all besides admit to her atrocities.

“For my hand in all this,” continued Delta, “There can be no atonement. No redemption. The burden, the guilt, are mine now for all time. But for all the things I have done… for all that I am… I am as much a victim of Callisto as you!”

“LIES!” shouted Razor and brandished a weapon to her face.

Motivation. Getting started is always the hardest part about writing. 99% of potential posts I could make on the forum don't get made due to a lack of motivation and it's the same with writing. If I've written one story, I guarantee that there are likely a hundred good, bad and just plain unworkable ideas that didn't get written or that I didn't have the motivation to write.

My imagination perceives vistas stretching forth into the darkling depths of space and time...

Now if only I had any artistic talent :cry:

Drumming up the motivation and finding the time in my busy schedule. I shouldnt even by typing this up. I should be sleeping.

Always spend ten minutes thinking for every minute you spend writing. If every writer did this, there would be no terrible fiction.

Use proper grammar, syntax and spelling. If you don't care enough to write properly, why should anyone care enough to read it properly?

Anything is possible with enough time, dedication and diligence.

Yes. GIVE ME FEEDBACK! :D Every writer loves to read feedback... it's manna for the muse and it tends to drive me to write more... More... MOAR!~

In fact, I'm going to apply that to every writer. All writers love feedback and you should damn well let them know if you loved a story or hated it. Writers love feedback. Give it to us!
Blazemane
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Unread post by Blazemane »

In fact, I'm going to apply that to every writer. All writers love feedback
My...

precious!

AAAHHH!

*Remembers he has not made one comment in Razor's serial thread*

I mean well...

-Where are you from?

Michigan, where it's a priority to hit every degree in Fahrenheit between 0 and 100 at least once a year.

-When and why did you begin writing?

My... first grade teacher, was an educator... a nice person, probably like you, who tells me I shouldn't watch t.v. so much- who tells me I ought to be reading more. She gets in deep with the dry erase markers. One day, she spells a word on the board. And we have no boards at our desks. She can't take it. She just wants to see us write our own words. She just wants to know that we care about our education. So... I put a pencil on my paper, and I start forming letters, like this

"C-A-T"

on it. But I can't stand the sight of them! My handwriting is terrible. Now I see the funny side. Now I'm always typing!

-What inspired you to write your first BW/G1 fanfic?

March of 2007, I found this site called Beast Wars International by (get this) finding one of Sapphire's fictions through an online search. When I got onto that site itself, I was looking through the different sections and noticed there was a fan fiction competition going on.

I thought for a while about how I would even write a Beast Wars story until I had a few ideas and just kinda'... wrote the thing.

-Do you have a specific writing style?

I'm told I write like I'm casually talking to somebody, but I don't know for certain myself. Either way, this is probably more true for English essays (it was in English class that I was told my style) than fiction, since fiction demands a less prominent "from-me-to-you, reader" narrative structure.

-How do you come up with a title?

It's been somewhat different for every fiction that I've written, but every title has still basically been based around at least one general concept in the story. If, for example, I was going to write a story about two Transformers talking about old wars in a restaurant, I might just call it... "Pizza Parlor".

Then I'd have to ask myself if Transformers really have anything like pizza (tries imagining a metallic sheet smothered in oil covered in energon filings... Ah... no. In fact, I'm pretty sure that's a recipe for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, not pizza).

But... yeah, I guess my titles are very general.

-Is there a message in your BW/G1 fanfic that you want readers to grasp?

I've been considering messages recently, and they may work their way into the stories I don't have done yet (actually I have yet to finish any of my series). But I suppose a lot of what I write is just based on making it fun.

Still, while I don't think of too much consciously, a lot of what I believe does naturally work its way in. For example, I have strong beliefs about absolute good and evil. My characters, then, are generally black and white on the morality scale.

And then, some of the things that work their way in naturally eventually become things I realize and intentionally try to develop. My short answer would be to say, I kinda' do, and hope to eventually give more complete effort in that area.

-How much of the BW/G1 fanfic is realistic?

Transformers is awesome because it goes a bit beyond what is realistic. Sentient robots are cool. So a lot of the events, at least in my fiction, are unrealistic.

But if I go back to the "messages" idea, I find, again, that a lot of what people believe about the world does naturally works it way in to stories. I think then, that a lot of the subtext that can be found in some fiction is at least realistic to the person who writes it.

-Are experiences based on someone you know, or events in your own life?

No. But I wish.

-If you had to choose, which writer (professional or amateur) would you consider a mentor?

Well, if my experiences with reading have to have naturally helped me with my writing. That's just the way reading works. But... again, I can't think of any specifics. I must, therefore, extrapolate based on who I've read the most from, and enjoyed the most, and that would be Brian Jacques, author of the Redwall series.

-What book are you reading now?

Do textbooks count?

-Are there any BW fanfic authors that have grasped your interest?

From almost every author, there are some stories that I really want to read, and others I'm generally disinterested in. So I guess any authors can be interesting.

Hmmm...

I think on fanfiction.net I have Jagna and 7KnightWolf on my alert list for what it's worth.

-What are your current projects?

"The Serengeti Series" (that thing has been nagging at me for over two years now): my general Beast Wars story, "Time Chords": my crossover of terminator and Beast Wars, and I'm also considering/have written maybe one page of a G1 fiction which details the conflict on Cybertron in the time while the Autobots and Decepticons were offline. This story might not end up getting written.

-Do you see writing as a career?

I don't see it, because I don't trust I could actually write something compelling or entertaining enough to earn livable wages. If I actually ever got something published, than that might be an indication.

I do, however, often find myself considering things I really want to write on a publishable level.

-If you had to do it all over again, would you change anything in your latest BW/G1 fanfic?

Yeah, I thin so. In fact, since neither of my series are completed I actually might end up doing that.

For example, the first chapter in the Serengeti Series is written a lot more like a spark notes summary than a third person limited narrative. I might want to re-write it.

Or, in my latest chapter of that same series, I think I cringe any time I read the dialogue between Arctosteel and Quickrim when they fight on the road. It is... either really cliche, or so melodramatic and un-realistic that it's never even had a chance to become cliche. I haven't heard any complaints about it, so I might be over-analyzing, but I do wonder.

-Do you recall how your interest in writing originated?

Well, I never really liked it. But then in high school I found this site. And than the essays in English became rather philosophical. And then I realized that writing good for online debates.

So I suppose I've only recently moved away from dreading it as homework to seeing it as a creative outlet and rhetorical medium.

-Can you share a little of your current work with us?

Just so long as you give it back once you're done with it. What to use... Uh... what the heck:
“I’ve had enough of this.” said the cat. Just as the car was about to come to their side of the overhang, he grabbed Quickrim and threw him against the car. Glass was shattered and the metal on the side of the car was dented. Quickrim fell over dazed as the cat climbed onto the back of the car. He began climbing on the roof in order to get to the front of the car. Quickrim grabbed the back bumper just as the car would have gone out of his reach. Sparks flew again as he was dragged by the car, but this time he was the one holding onto the car, and he climbed onto the car, and then the roof quickly. As the car sped on, Quickrim and his enemy faced each other on opposite sides of the car roof. The cat was frustrated. He grabbed his guns again and began firing at Quickrim. Quickrim was hit in chest and the laser actually hit some internal wires, but his spark wasn’t even nearly touched. Quickrim got closer, and then tackled the cat. They both landed on the car hood. The cat threw what for even professional boxers would have been a beautiful punch, which hit Quickrim’s face with a sickening thud. The cat took advantage of Quickrim’s temporary daze and actually got the balance to stand on the hood. Panting heavily, he aimed both his lasers at Quickrim’s head.

“This wasn’t an easy fight, I’ll give you that.” said the cat. Quickrim noticed they were about to round a corner. The nearest road under them was still far below. He gripped either side of the car since the windows were rolled down.

“When would you like to schedule the next one?” It was all the spunk Quickrim could muster, meager as it was.

“Oh, I’m afraid you’re going to have to miss it.” laughed the cat triumphantly. Quickrim looked past the cat and judged they were close enough to the corner. He had been trained to be flexible. He swung his left leg around and inside the car where he found the break and pushed it. The car came to a screeching halt, as the cat flew over the corner. Quickrim held on for dear life. When the car stopped moving, Quickrim climbed off the hood and looked over the edge of the road. Quickrim noticed a dent where the cat landed on the first road below them. The cat, however, had bounced off and fallen to another road beneath that one. Quickrim had to zoom with his optics to see him at all. Right where he was, the cat vanished.

All the passengers in the large transformer climbed out confused and shocked. When everyone was out, even the driving car transformed. They all asked Quickrim what was going on.

“I’m not sure.” he responded.

Then his comlink turned on.

“Agent E, this is Wirecat. Is there a security breach?”

Quickrim’s face dropped in enraged disbelief.

“Yes sir.”
-Is there anything you find particularly challenging in your writing?

I write so slow. Sooooooooooo slow (hence, the non-completion of my the series I've been working on since May, 2007). Or rather, I can write at a standard pace, but the ideas of what to do next come so slow. I sometimes second guess my ideas, but the real problem is simply coming up with, and then liking them.

I'm not sure. It might be Brain Jacques, for his ability to write characters and situations that give them something to stand for (his books paint most, though certainly not all, of his characters black or white). Maybe C.S. Lewis, because I like his theology.

Well, there are a ton of great writers, and I supposed I've never really decided any of them are the best.

-Have you/do you consider creating artwork to accompany your BW/G1 fanfic?

Yes I have considered.
I once tried.
I knew I shouldn't have.
I won't try again anytime soon.

In fact, I might be capable of earning a living by putting on a comedy routine which only consists of me drawing things, showing those things to the audience, and asking what they think I drew.

I have a tendency to phrase things awkwardly. Fan fiction helped me practice writing ideas where the right words are in the right spots in the right sentences. I haven't perfected this, of course.

-Do you have any advice for other writers?

I guess not. Whenever I give constructive criticism in feedback for stories, it ends up being very specific to the story the feedback is being given to.

Well, duh.

But yeah, my advice depends on the story it's being given for.

-Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers?

I, like Razor, like feedback. But I guess there is one other thing: I really am trying to finish these stories, and thank you for reading them.
I understand... you are, after all, a predacon.

[img]http://www.bwint.net/memberfanclubterrorsaur.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.bwint.net/bannersbfanclub2.jpg[/img]
tronprogram

Unread post by tronprogram »

I write comic book stuff, so I don't know if I qualify for this Q&A. I do have my first BW story in the works though :)
There are no problems, only solutions.
Blazemane
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Unread post by Blazemane »

Go ahead! :D
I understand... you are, after all, a predacon.

[img]http://www.bwint.net/memberfanclubterrorsaur.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.bwint.net/bannersbfanclub2.jpg[/img]