What are your opinions on self-insert fics?

Post any fics/stories/poems/scribblings here.

Moderators: Nurann, Starath, Sinead, Optimal Optimus Primal, Razor One

Dreamscreamer

What are your opinions on self-insert fics?

Unread post by Dreamscreamer »

I was almost going to put this under the "general discussion" board, but since the subject matter is fanfic related, I figured it would be better here.

So, what are your opinions of self-insert fics? Do you like them or dislike them?

Personally, I like self-insert fics, at least sometimes. It gives me some better insights into the author, maybe some of their thoughts and personality to some extent, and they can be fun.
Life is like a novel. You don't know how it will end, or how long it will be.
SkyxDB
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Unread post by SkyxDB »

For me I guess self-inserts are fine as long as the self-insert isn't ultra powerful or having cannon characters fight over them or something liek that. So as long as the story is good, the canon characters are in charatcer, then self-insert not too much of a problem.
I demand cookies!
Dalgaroth

Unread post by Dalgaroth »

I've always loved the very well written self inserts. Very funny, insightful, creative, unique. However, I dislike ones where authors put themselves in there for no other reason but to pair themselves up with canons that are portrayed OOC. :/ I mean, I appreciate creative freedom, encourage it even, and selfinserts are great ways to make a dream come "true" so to speak. But I'd rather not daydreams. :/ No offense to anyone, that's jut my preference. If a fic is a Daydream, I don't want to read it. If it's a bigger story and it's focus is not solely how great the author is in comparison to everyone else or whatever, then I'll read it.

I've been trying to start a BW Self Inser myself, but I struggle with what I want to do with it. I do not want to write merely myself in it, I want it to have structure, a real story for it and a reason for me being there. :D And everyone IC. lol I've been planning the same for a Mass Effect fanfic. THere are like NO such self inserts in ME Fanfiction, but I think the world's too vast not to have fun with OCs. :D
Image This egg has a Predacon symbol, yess. Image
Dreamscreamer

Unread post by Dreamscreamer »

Hehe I have made an attempt to make a self-insert TFA fic, but it never went very far and I don't know if I'll even continue it. But I will say that I have thought about attempting another self-insert, not with Transformers but with another franchise.

I agree that it is definitely a chance for a dream to come true, for an author, if they choose to write such a fic, because it is really the only way you will ever be able to "meet" your favorite characters. I would very much love to be able to meet a large number of my favorite characters from several different TV shows and whatnot, but I know it will never happen. Self-insert fics seem awesome, because I know that if I try to write one, it may be the closest thing I can ever get to actually meeting them, something that would be impossible in the real world. *wistful sigh*

I also like to read self-insert fics because they show me something of other people's imaginations, and how they might perceive the characters around them as they interact with them.

I will admit though that the idea of writing a self-insert myself makes me a little nervous, because I am worried that, if I began writing one, I might end up turning it into a daydream without even meaning to or without even realizing it. Frankly, that sort of thing can happen even if you're simply writing for an OC and not yourself.
Life is like a novel. You don't know how it will end, or how long it will be.
Dalgaroth

Yah that's true. D: Ya gotta write yourself or OCs very well and within canon limitations or else they have some degree of Mary Sueness. -_-'''''''' Self Inserts are inevitably MSish, at least to some degree, but it's usually excusable if it's well written.

Oh, yeah! I like looking at other peep's perception of themselves. I wonder if they're really how they present themselves or how they present themselves reflects on the author. "So...this author turned herself into a fish transformer. A goldfish to be exact and when she transforms she has a voluptuous build. What does this say about the author?" or "Hm...she's overpowered but considers herself average... hm.." and how they perceive it too like when an author specifically ignores certain aspects of the canon to make the story possible. How that reflect on how the author thinks. It's fun to hypothesize. xD

that's the same reason I haven't gotten far in mine either. I have an idea for a good start or good conflict or later events but I always get stuck on the beginning, which would be the first impression a reader would get of the fic. For Mass Effect I'd have to sit down and write REALLY seriously about things in order to get a Mass Effect feel and intro my character without turning my readers away. -_- For Beast Wars, I can write less seriously and come off okay, but there's no reason for a female human from our time to be there or have powers or anything so finding a good start on that one is very difficult. :/
Lady Venom
Ultra Poster!
Ultra Poster!

Unread post by Lady Venom »

Personally, years ago I use to not mind them(when I was naive and enjoyed fangirling myself into fics). But now, I'm not a fan of them, I prefer realistic canon to self inserts, cause to me it's just an over zealot way of fangirling/boying...

*shrugs* That's my two cents.
~Rejected By The Sun and Moon, I Turn To The Stars~

Give in to temptation

Dalgaroth

o_O?

You're...not saying were naive are you? =_O