RPG Rules: Please Read First

A section for online Role Playing Games of a Beasties nature.

Moderators: Nurann, Starath, Sinead, Optimal Optimus Primal, Razor One

Optimal Optimus Primal
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
RPG Characters: Optimus Primal, Rattrap, Rhinox, Megatron, Inferno

Unread post by Optimal Optimus Primal »

The only tidbit that left me with a bit of a puzzled grin on my face is the specific comment that everyone must have characters on opposing sides for fairness sake, aside from the moderator. I would personally love to see OOP get in touch with her villanous side.
:lol: I don't think I'd be very good at it. The only Predacon OC I ever developed was a grizzly bear called Collapse who was a TransMetal 1.5; kind of between TM and TM2 by some sort of experiment gone wrong or something like that. And I think he was originally a Maximal. I've thought about creating a new Predacon OC but I have way too many other Maximal canons now to take care of.
We also have a couple players who stick to one side but I think most are planning to change allegiance of one character in the next season.
I think we might be able to be a litting more flexible with that part so long as either side doesn't outnumber the other TOO much.
"Well, that's just prime!"
Alak
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Unread post by Alak »

So I was reading a book called "Nudge" by Richard Thaler and Cass Sunstein who both research the biases of the human psyche and how they may be manipulated in order to act a certain way (i.e.- elections, research, etc.). One of the points the authors brought up with surveying was that a biased surveyor could nudge the responder to select an option that he/she would not normally want to select.

That made me think of the RPG here. In regards to God Moding, sometimes we unintentionally (or maybe even intentionally) make our characters perform an attack against another character. We then list out two or three options for how the other character can react as well as the potential consequences for each decision. While this maybe be helpful for clarifying confusing attack sequences, it can also hinder the other writer's ability to react creatively. By listing choices, we limit the other person to just those choices (or so they believe). Thus, we inadvertently control the other character to an unwanted degree.

Not sure how you'd write that into the rules, but we should definitely make ourselves aware of this behavior.