Beast Wars Reboot: Who'd you cast?

Where we talk about nothing other than that. :)

Moderators: Nurann, Starath, Sinead, Optimal Optimus Primal, Razor One

DarkSpark
Ultra Poster!
Ultra Poster!

Beast Wars Reboot: Who'd you cast?

Unread post by DarkSpark »

If the Beast Wars were ever rebooted, like they've done for G1 over and over again lol, who would you like to see for the main casts of the Maximals and Predacons in the beginning? Same as before or all new characters? Or perhaps a mix of old and new? In either case, who'd you choose if you were incharge of the casting?

In my case, I was considering...

Predacons: Megatron (duh, lol), Waspinator, Terrorsaur, rest works in progress lol

Maximals: Optimus Primal, Airazor, Cheetor, Rhinox, rest works in progress

I figure each side should have some old faves or characters who were overlooked in the original series plus some new players too...Blackarachnia is hard, no idea whether she'd be better as a Predacon or a Maximal the second time around
Dannn Sanew

Unread post by Dannn Sanew »

Maximals-Optimus Primal,Razor Beast, Rattrap, Grimlock, Cheetor

Predacons: Magmatron, Waspinator, Dinobot, Ravage, Tarantulas, Terrorsaur
SlyestFox

Unread post by SlyestFox »

Maximals: The same original five - Optimus, Rattrap, Rhinox, Cheetor, Dinobot - that dynamic just works too perfectly not to utilize.

Predacons: Megatron, Inferno*, Tarantulas, Blackarachnia** and Waspinator

*Inferno makes Scorponok irrelevant and he's a much more interesting, fun, badass character.
**Terrorsaur was also largely rendered redundant by Tarantulas as much more competent successful schemer with a more important role to play, better to make room for Blackarachnia right away.

After that I'd say still make Tigatron the first new addition for the Maximals, but have Rampage join up right away for the Predacons, doing the reboot's version of Bad Spark in the first season. The second set of additions can be the Fuzors. If they want to make Quickstrike a different character/toy that's fine.

Controversial move: I'd make Cheetor a girl. A lot of reboots turn previously male characters into females (like Battlestar Galactica) to add more gender equality, and the Maximals are who would need a centralized female character. Of the five main characters, Cheetor is really the only one I think could convincingly switch genders. Alternatively, they could just replace him with Airazor but make her a younger, rasher, more Cheetor-like character.
Blackarachnia is hard, no idea whether she'd be better as a Predacon or a Maximal the second time around
Starting Blackarachnia off as a Maximal takes away most of what's interesting about her.

Voice Cast I'd keep largely the same - although I'm not entirely convinced that there's not some people out there who could voice Rampage or Airazor better. But at the very least Gary Chalk, David Kaye, Scott McNeil (as all four), and Venus Terzo are musts.
DarkSpark
Ultra Poster!
Ultra Poster!

SlyestFox wrote: Starting Blackarachnia off as a Maximal takes away most of what's interesting about her.

Voice Cast I'd keep largely the same - although I'm not entirely convinced that there's not some people out there who could voice Rampage or Airazor better. But at the very least Gary Chalk, David Kaye, Scott McNeil (as all four), and Venus Terzo are musts.

yeah, I can see what you mean there. I kinda thought that maybe Blackarachnia could make an interesting alternative to Dinobot as Optimus's insight on pred tactics and behavior, as well as keep ya guessing as to whether she'd switch sides again or not (and maybe show her struggling to cope with her traditional "every pred for herself" mindset and what she sees and learns from time spent with the maximals).

I agree that recruiting as many of the original voice actors as possible is a must, especially McNeil considering how many characters he played.

I'm still working on my own list, but I'd definitely like to see Airazor become a main facet of the team since the original series screwed her over so badly lol (she was developed so little that she'd have nearly limitless potential in a newer series). I could see her being made younger, maybe the same age as Cheetor or slightly older, like a best bud or older sister. She could either be friendly rivals with him (her beastmode being the fastest flyer on earth while Cheetor's is the fasters runner) or she could be the more mature of the two, with Rhinox looking out for her.
Alak
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Unread post by Alak »

I'm not gonna lie, I can be pretty purist with shows I grew up with. If BW was ever remade, I'd want all of the original characters to returns and maintain their niche in the team ranks. However, I would love to see them increase the cast size (assuming budget allows this). Some of the Maximals and Predacons introduced in the comics were pretty interesting, and I'd really like to see them make appearances. Polar Claw would be my top pick... and extra kudos if they make a Coca Cola allusion lol.
DarkSpark
Ultra Poster!
Ultra Poster!

Alak wrote:I'm not gonna lie, I can be pretty purist with shows I grew up with. If BW was ever remade, I'd want all of the original characters to returns and maintain their niche in the team ranks. However, I would love to see them increase the cast size (assuming budget allows this). Some of the Maximals and Predacons introduced in the comics were pretty interesting, and I'd really like to see them make appearances. Polar Claw would be my top pick... and extra kudos if they make a Coca Cola allusion lol.

yeah, I'm usually pretty purist as well when it comes to shows I grew up with (Transformers Prime has given me quite a few fan rage moments as of late lol). I do however recognize that writers can't just replay the original series over again, have to create new situations for the heroes and villains to face. I too would like to see many old familiar faces again, though some may need a little tweaking (Dinobot's beast mode was far more impressive before we learned real V-Raptors were dinky little feather dusters with teeth lol).

I do agree I'd like the cast to be larger than before, get all those stasis pods down and activated at last over the course of the story. In order to accomplish that though, they may need to use traditional animation styles rather than CGI, since I think CGI shows are WAY more expensive (hence why shows like Beast Wars & Prime all have relatively small main casts, or that's my theory at least, anyone feel free to correct me lol).
DarkSpark
Ultra Poster!
Ultra Poster!

Okay, my ideal starting lineups would be...

1) Predacons: Megatron, Dinobot, Waspinator, Tarantulas, Terrorsaur, Inferno

Maximals: Optimus Primal, Cheetor, Rhinox, Silverbolt, Blackarachnia, Airazor

or

2) Predacons: Megatron, Blackarachnia, Terrorsaur, Waspinator, Inferno, "unknown"...maybe Ravage or Rampage?

Maximals: Optimus Primal, Rhinox, Cheetor, Airazor, Dinobot, & Rattrap

Blackarachnia and Tarantulas are the hardest to place since they're both sneaky intellectual spider cons, so putting them both on the same team seems redundant to me even though they were cool together during season 1. Hence why I thought having BA "pull a Dinobot" early in story might make things more interesting by making it possible for both spiders to be fighting on opposite sides, plus BA always seems to be a more complicated character. She's been a pred born of maximal technology who eventually saw the light AND in TFA was an autobot turned decepticon after a tragic incident, she's always more than simply just another evil cybertronian. Tarantulas is best at being pure, unadulterated evil, whereas BA is usually a lost soul or a fallen angel kind of character with the potential for good, but may or may not achieve it depending on what continuity she's in.
Wicked Woman
Ultra Poster!
Ultra Poster!

Unread post by Wicked Woman »

Alak wrote:I'm not gonna lie, I can be pretty purist with shows I grew up with. If BW was ever remade, I'd want all of the original characters to returns and maintain their niche in the team ranks. However, I would love to see them increase the cast size (assuming budget allows this). Some of the Maximals and Predacons introduced in the comics were pretty interesting, and I'd really like to see them make appearances. Polar Claw would be my top pick... and extra kudos if they make a Coca Cola allusion lol.
Funny you should mention that, I'm actually working on a script for a Beast Wars Reboot (not sure whether or not I'll send to Hasbro ;)) and the cast is increased slightly. (Predacons so far but I did add another ship for the Maximals, only time will tell if it stays)

WW
Prime: "Any last words?"
Demolisher: "not the face, NOT THE FACE!"
DarkSpark
Ultra Poster!
Ultra Poster!

Wicked Woman wrote:
Funny you should mention that, I'm actually working on a script for a Beast Wars Reboot (not sure whether or not I'll send to Hasbro ;)) and the cast is increased slightly. (Predacons so far but I did add another ship for the Maximals, only time will tell if it stays)

WW

Cool, any chance we could see it? Who would be your picks for the starting lineup of the maximals and predacons for a BW reboot?

Slyestfox wrote: Maximals: The same original five - Optimus, Rattrap, Rhinox, Cheetor, Dinobot - that dynamic just works too perfectly not to utilize.

Predacons: Megatron, Inferno*, Tarantulas, Blackarachnia** and Waspinator

*Inferno makes Scorponok irrelevant and he's a much more interesting, fun, badass character.
**Terrorsaur was also largely rendered redundant by Tarantulas as much more competent successful schemer with a more important role to play, better to make room for Blackarachnia right away.

After that I'd say still make Tigatron the first new addition for the Maximals, but have Rampage join up right away for the Predacons, doing the reboot's version of Bad Spark in the first season. The second set of additions can be the Fuzors. If they want to make Quickstrike a different character/toy that's fine.

Controversial move: I'd make Cheetor a girl. A lot of reboots turn previously male characters into females (like Battlestar Galactica) to add more gender equality, and the Maximals are who would need a centralized female character. Of the five main characters, Cheetor is really the only one I think could convincingly switch genders. Alternatively, they could just replace him with Airazor but make her a younger, rasher, more Cheetor-like character.

yeah, I gotta agree that Inferno really tromps Scorponok. If they WERE gonna be Scorponok back, they'd have to give him a new personality and overall just make him more interesting than before. Dreadwing, Soundwave, Lugnut, and Shockwave are all prime examples of loyal evil minions who have alot of personality and badassery to offer their respective Megatrons, whereas Scorponok was always a clumsy, incompetent, moronic, nervous wreck...I'd only want to see him return if they planned on totally overhauling his character.

The preds need fliers since the villains on these shows always have aerial superiority, and he always had a really cool look to him and an impressive arsenal of weapons...BUT, as you've said, he was basically a Starscream wannabe who never really reached his full potential as a character, unlike Optimus Primal, BW Megatron, & Cheetor. I mean, I remember loving Terrorsaur as a kid, but I kinda grew out of him when i realized how bad he was at scheming, the only two times he took over the preds were basically examples of him knowing how to seize an opportunity, but he never planned ahead for it or posed a serious threat to Megatron's reign like Tarantulas or Blackarachnia did. He was also kind of a wuss for someone who could fly and had SO MANY weapons...I mean, he was one of the main preds to watch out for on the battlefield during season 1 mainly due to his abilities. I wouldn't mind seeing him return, but he would have to be reimagined like Scorponok in order to be interesting, maybe base him off his original toy bio instead of his TV appearances. Alternatively, if Blackarachnia joined the maximals right away in Dinobot style fashion, Terrorsaur could gain more prominence amongst the cons, or at least serve as an unwitting front-man/pawn for Tarantulas.

I agree that Cheetor would probably be the easiest to gender bend, BUT, I would rather see Airazor join the crew instead and play a bigger role this time around (maybe make her an official member of the crew from the start rather than emerge from a stasis pod like before), and I also agree that portraying her as being younger and more mischievous like Cheetor would be more interesting, perhaps she and Cheetor could be best friends/partners in crime?

Slyestfox wrote: Starting Blackarachnia off as a Maximal takes away most of what's interesting about her.

I know where you're coming from, but at the same time do ya really need two master spider schemers with identical skill sets on the same team? I mean, it would be cool, but it may also make the starting pred team unbalanced. Plus, Blackarachnia, if done right, could make an entertaining anti-hero, always morally ambiguous, always making the maximals question if she's really on their side or if she'd betray them in a heartbeat for a better deal. She could be the first to suggest lethal force against the enemy, and begrudgingly learn to like her new comrades over time (but at the same time question whether they'd be worth risking her spark over or what not). I LOVE Dinobot, but he was always an honorable soul, whereas BA has no such compunctions, so she could, in theory mind you, make for a more unpredictable character. Granted, I always liked her as a predacon too lol.

I loved the original voice of Rampage, and Airazor's wasn't bad either, BUT, I wouldn't complain if Kree Summers or Tara Strong took over the role of Airazor (both of whom are awesome voice actors).
Phoenix
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
RPG Characters: Nemesis,Aurora,Zodiac

Unread post by Phoenix »

Not to take away from your fun, DarkSpark, but your presence has been requested in the rpg thread. :)
DarkSpark
Ultra Poster!
Ultra Poster!

Phoenix wrote:Not to take away from your fun, DarkSpark, but your presence has been requested in the rpg thread. :)

No worries Phoenix, thanks for the update. Any thoughts of your own on who you'd want to appear as the starting lineup for the maximals and predacons in a beast wars reboot? :mrgreen:
Wicked Woman
Ultra Poster!
Ultra Poster!

Unread post by Wicked Woman »

DarkSpark wrote:
Wicked Woman wrote:

WW

Cool, any chance we could see it? Who would be your picks for the starting lineup of the maximals and predacons for a BW reboot?
Been two months since you asked but I have a link to my Livejournal http://uhyeah-whatever.livejournal.com/1143.html
I'm not finished it yet but I'll put it up piece by piece depending on where I feel a good cut off is.

WW
Prime: "Any last words?"
Demolisher: "not the face, NOT THE FACE!"
Blackrosefencer
Ultra Poster!
Ultra Poster!

Unread post by Blackrosefencer »

LIVE JOURNAL????????????!!!!! That's still around????? I haven't seen that since the late 90s early zeros when everyone switched to xanga.

Also, I like that idea of a blog series type thing like you described. I'm actually doing something similar with a story I'm writing.....not beast wars related....it's original fiction actually. Hopefully I can get it up and running by the summer. Will definitely put something up in the console or the cool links thread to share with people once it's further developed.

Sig by WorpeX.

"Better be prepared for anything
When those demons rise."
(Str8 to the Bottom, Weaving the Fate)
DarkSpark
Ultra Poster!
Ultra Poster!

Wicked Woman wrote:
DarkSpark wrote:
Wicked Woman wrote:

WW

Been two months since you asked but I have a link to my Livejournal http://uhyeah-whatever.livejournal.com/1143.html
I'm not finished it yet but I'll put it up piece by piece depending on where I feel a good cut off is.

WW

No worries about the wait, I'll give it a look when I get the chance :D