BWINT IS MOVING

Where you can post announcements and other cool things. Doesn't have to be BW-related.

Moderators: Nurann, Starath, Sinead, Optimal Optimus Primal, Razor One

Sapphire
Site Admin

Unread post by Sapphire »

Thanks so much Warwulf! You have done such an amazing job and we are so grateful!

As for your suggestions, I approve of your 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th suggestion. They all sound great and I think it'd be a good opportunity to host an art challenge/graphic design competition here on the forums for people to submit their design for each forum sub-section. Thoughts, everyone?

Once again, thank you for all your hard work upgrading the forums and getting them back online. Couldn't have managed without you!
[url=http://www.bwint.net/fanclubrattrap.htm][img]http://www.bwint.net/memberrattrapclub1.jpg[/img][/url] || [img]http://www.bwint.net/fanclubrampagebanner1.jpg[/img]
Warwulf
RPG Characters: Silverbolt, Trantrum

Unread post by Warwulf »

Not sure where to make a note of this...

But ooops!

I was trying to ban the 117.0.0.0/8 subnet. Apparently, I'm not good at numbers, because I banned all subnets from 117.0.0.0 through 177.255.255.255. Typo. In the process, I banned nearly a billion IP addresses. Fortunately, I realize my mistake... after Phoenix let me know that her Droid was among the masses banned. :P

Details.
Venatrix

Unread post by Venatrix »

Wulfy, maybe you could explain this then, coz its been bothering me for the last few minutes :P

This is what i have been seeing when i logged in today:
Registered users: Baidu [Spider], Google [Bot], Venatrix
[img]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a161/Venatrix1982/venatrix-sig3.jpg[/img]

[color=purple]"Those who fail to learn history are doomed to repeat it;
Those who fail to learn history [b][u]CORRECTLY--[/u][/b]
Why they are simply doomed."[/color]
Phoenix
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
RPG Characters: Nemesis,Aurora,Zodiac

Unread post by Phoenix »

Any website has "bots" or" crawlers" visiting them at all times. This is how google, for instance, works as a search engine when you type in different phrases to seach for. Wulfey merely registered these IP addresses under their specific names. They lurk constantly to search for updates.

There are many more, of course, making up the bulk of the site's visits.
Blackrosefencer
Ultra Poster!
Ultra Poster!

Unread post by Blackrosefencer »

I was wondering about those bots too.

So basically, what your saying is this.....there are legitimate bots that have a useful function that lurk around on a website and there are other bots who lurk around whose only function is to spam. So Warwulf made sure that the site can distinguish between spamming bots and bots like google who actually have a useful function. Do I have that right??

Sig by WorpeX.

"Better be prepared for anything
When those demons rise."
(Str8 to the Bottom, Weaving the Fate)
Phoenix
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Unread post by Phoenix »

You would be correct in that assumption, BRF. Spambots will try to register in order to post, so by altering the registration process of the site and adding certain traps that a spambot will go for (but a 'good' bot will not due to the trap having a 'warning' written into the code that regular search bots respect and follow whereas a spambot will ignore this warning).
Venatrix

Unread post by Venatrix »

*blinks*

This is soooo confusing....
Tried learning to do this web building stuff once.... then decided that i am to damn blond for that kinda thing.

So with other words, there are bots for nearly everything these days, accept one that cleans my house, and my car huh?

*blinks again*
[img]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a161/Venatrix1982/venatrix-sig3.jpg[/img]

[color=purple]"Those who fail to learn history are doomed to repeat it;
Those who fail to learn history [b][u]CORRECTLY--[/u][/b]
Why they are simply doomed."[/color]
Phoenix
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Unread post by Phoenix »

So with other words, there are bots for nearly everything these days, accept one that cleans my house, and my car huh?
Those exist also.. The Roomba and the Scooba vacuum and mop floors. ;)

A web crawler (also called a bot or spider);
A web crawler is a relatively simple automated program, or script, that methodically scans or "crawls" through Internet pages to create an index of the data it's looking for;
A spambot is an automated computer program designed to assist in the sending of spam. Spambots usually create fake accounts and send spam using them, although it would be obvious that a spambot is sending it.
xCubicZirconia
Ultra Poster!
Ultra Poster!
RPG Characters: Maximal Aphrodite

Unread post by xCubicZirconia »

Was anything ever moved? o.o
Blackrosefencer
Ultra Poster!
Ultra Poster!

Unread post by Blackrosefencer »

Yes. The board was unusable for like two days. That was like two or three months ago.

Sig by WorpeX.

"Better be prepared for anything
When those demons rise."
(Str8 to the Bottom, Weaving the Fate)