Question

Where you can post announcements and other cool things. Doesn't have to be BW-related.

Moderators: Nurann, Starath, Sinead, Optimal Optimus Primal, Razor One

starshadow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Question

Unread post by starshadow »

Hmmm...got a question that has been bothering me...

Telekinesis vs electricity.

Can electricity pass through great force?

For example: BotA uses electrical energy (like Cybertron Megatron's powers) on Bot B. Before the bolts reaches to BotB, BotB creates a barrier from her telekinesis ability but the bolts passes through it and melts BotB's metal skin.

So I was like wondering, is this even possible or logical? It sounds like god-moding. I'm not really good in my physics so yeah.... any answers?
Alak
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Unread post by Alak »

Sorry if this sounds like a cop-out answer, but it really depends on the prowess of each individual involved. Telekinesis by definition is the ability to control the movement of objects with one's mind. Assuming that you have a "Jean Grey" level of control over this ability, this would mean that you would be able to control even a single atom. In order to create a telekinetic barrier, one would have to halt the movement of gas particles (or liquid if underwater) in order to prevent anything from passing through. You'd essentially be creating solid matter as a result, which shoots down the sci-fi logic of invisible telekinetic barriers. Anyway, electricity is composed of molecules (mostly electrons and some protons to be exact). Everything in life as we know it is composed of molecules. If an electric current were to flow towards a powerful telekinetic, the latter should be able to halt its course. In fact, the telekinetic might even be able to redirect the current towards the original sender.

Again, that's assuming that this telekinetic is so powerful that he/she is capable of focusing the power over an atomic level. Considering that it's impossible for us humans to see or feel individual atoms (or even molecules), that tells you just how powerful one must be to create an absolute perfect barrier with one's mind. A ridiculously powerful electricity manipulator may be able to penetrate an average-leveled telekinetic. Yet, think about this. A channel of charged particles are being thrown at a wall of still particles. In order for the electric wielder to succeed in breaching, he/she must have a superb level of control at the atomic level to push these atoms through whatever gaps exist in the molecular barrier. Not only that, but the wielder must maintain the charge for the currents that get through and secure the strike so that the defender's concentration will be disrupted (a.k.a.- breaking the barrier). As you can see, we're talking about a ridiculously skilled user who has absolute control at a sub-particle level. Comparing the two examples I've given thus far, I'm sure you understand now why I'm saying that it depends on the user.

Is this level of control common in the superheroes and supervillains we see in comic books, movies, and games? No, it certainly is not. The only telekinetics who have such a degree of power to pull this off are the ones considered to be god-leveled. I have yet to find a super-powered individual who had the degree of control over electricity such as the example I've written (ones I know are Static Shock, Yz, Black Lightning, Livewire, Electric Eve, Bolt/Maverick, Black Adam, Captain Marvel, and Thor). Normally, it's a test of willpower and to see which combatant can last the longest or "push" the hardest. Whoever has more willpower or more experience with his/her ability is generally the victor.
starshadow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Unread post by starshadow »

WHOOOOOO!!! I'm able to understand this! :D

Oooooooo so it depends on the skills and the power level. Okies! Thanks for the free physics lesson! :wink:
Alak
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Unread post by Alak »

So I just re-read your topic post, and let me address your concern (at least what I think your concern is).

- Your character is telekinetic and put up a preemptive barrier.

- Someone else's character shot lightning at your barrier.

- That person wrote that the lightning passed through the barrier and hurt your character.

Yes, that is god-moding. The other player is assuming that his/her character is vastly superior to yours to the point were your defenses mean nothing. Either that, or he/she just doesn't understand physics. I've taken physics in both high school and college. I've also taken enough labs regarding molecular manipulation so that I can write that wall of a post above. Use what I wrote to call the other person out. If it occurred in a typical RPG where every character has to be fair and balanced, then that scenario should've ended in a stalemate.