Weapons Questions

Where we talk about nothing other than that. :)

Moderators: Nurann, Starath, Sinead, Optimal Optimus Primal, Razor One

Alak
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Weapons Questions

Unread post by Alak »

I have a question specific for Orcariner in the RPG, but I'd figure I'd generalize the topic so that anyone who has any questions/thoughts on any transformers weapon can post about them. Anyway, here's what I'm curious about: What are the limitations of energon weapons? Based on the fight between Optimus and Megatron in the G1 pilot episode, I know that these weapons can't destroy each other (at least through conventional means). They're a one-hit-kill in the War for Cybertron game. The Bayverse Optimus Prime has two energon swords that display remarkable cutting ability, but we're not sure about durability. When Megatron shoots him in ROTF (before he pulls out the 2nd blade), Optimus doesn't use his sword to block the shot. Granted, he could have been in disarray or perhaps he knew that the energon sword isn't durable enough to withstand the fusion cannon. I didn't watch Energon so I'm not even sure what Megatron's Sword is capable of.

Is there any source that explains these types of weapons in depth or do we really not know the full capabilities/limitations of these things? With the way I've been writing Orcariner, he's been using his swords for both offensive and defensive purposes.

***EDIT***

Just rewatched the Super Bowl teaser for DOTM, and when Optimus slices through a Decepticon... the latter seems to explode.
GoktimusPrime

Unread post by GoktimusPrime »

Movie Optimus Prime's blades aren't made from energy, they're super-heated metal blades. If you look at the fight between Optimus Prime and Bonecrusher, when he flicks his sword out it's glowing orange because they're hot, but after he decapitates him you see the glow weaken and it's actually a metal blade.

I suppose energy weapons in Transformers perform similarly to lightsabres.

Image "If this blade is so hot, why aren't I getting instant sunburn??"
Image Transformers Collection Count: 1458 (UCM)
Alak
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Unread post by Alak »

Yeah I think the current incarnation of energon weaponry takes the form of solid metal whether it's super-heated or not. I know that WFC's depiction of the swords and axes coincide with Bay's version. I found an article about an energon saber that seems to fit this description, except it's not energized to the point that it's glowing hot. Actually, off the top of my head I think the G1 cartoon was the only time energon weapons were made of actual energy.
NaitoKage
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Unread post by NaitoKage »

Heh, that's because you've been using the wrong weapon.. The one you've been thinking about is http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Energo_weapon the Energo-sword. Though Electron Scimitars http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Electro-sword and such http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Thermo-sword had similar properties. I always assumed that was the one you were using though since.. it's far more devastating then energon weapons. Comics wise the thing could cut through forcefields and just about anything else, other then some of the other weapons.. nothing can really stop a Energo sword. And when the energy in it runs out, you can still use it as a weapon, just half as effectively.

Transformers did have lightsabers.. but it was only used in the TF movie by Megatron since he happened to find one.
Alak
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Unread post by Alak »

Holy cow, I never knew there were so many varieties. I just thought every melee weapon was an energon weapon since it was the term used in WFC and the Bayverse movies. So, in the G1 episode where Optimus and Megatron go at it with melee weapons, those would be considered energo weapons? They just sort of ignited like a lightsaber but in forms other than your typical sword. I'm going to have to rethink this and possibly edit Orcariner's profile yet again. Energo swords would match the drawing that you made, though...
NaitoKage
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Oddly no, Megatron and Optimus Prime used "Energon" weapons officially. Those would be pure energy weapons. As you'd figure.. those weapons have mostly been used in japanese comics. http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Energon-axe http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Energon_mace In the case of those.. I'd almost assume they would be like solid energy weapons or similar to the energy weapons from TF Energon/Superlink.

Heh, as mentioned in the past, I used to run a BW rp with OOP, also did a G1 one.. so I ended up kinda.. memorizing every transformers weapon and there is alot of them... I think the one we found most baffling out of ALL the G1 weapon's were Rippersnapper's voice guided missiles which.. is assumed he would have to shout directions for them to operate.
Alak
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Unread post by Alak »

So what would Optimus Primal and Dinobot's swords be classified as? Energon swords? I know that Depth Charge's tail is listed as an energon cutlass on his toy bio even though it doesn't have the superheated effects like in WFC or Bayverse.
NaitoKage
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Neither. If anything, they're simply metal blades. DInobot's probably being the weirder of the two as it's like a serrated Rapier with parts that spin(useful for torture I guess?).. Primal's swords are almost like gigantic Kukri knives which would give the swords axe/broadsword like properties when cutting. As seen when he chopped Megatron's arm off.

DC's toy bio probably said it was a energon cutlass but TV show wise it was just a sword with.. spear like qualities. I mean really, his sword doesn't even look like a cutlass, they probably only used that term because pirates and marine soldiers used thoses and he's a marine transformer.
Alak
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Unread post by Alak »

I went ahead and edited Orcariner's profile. Replaced "energon" with "energo" instead. I also replaced his special ability from simple "Sonar Emission" to "Beacon 2.0" in light of his recent actions.
JazZeke
Location: Arizona, where the grass is always greener... on the other side of the state line!

Unread post by JazZeke »

The effectiveness of weapons can be wildly inconsistent from story to story, depending on how much the writers feel like inflicting and what Hasbro/the medium allows them to get away with.
Alak
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Unread post by Alak »

Not sure why this has been on my mind, but I have a question about Dinobot. Can his rotating shield double as a blaster? For some reason, but memory tells me that he's fired off a few shots from it before, but I can't exactly recall the episode he did it in. Perhaps he was simply reflecting someone else's shots? I dunno, maybe someone can clear this up for me.
NaitoKage
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

in the BW videogame, Dinobot's rotating shield was a blaster. In the tv show it just acted as a shield/blade/gyro to slow his descent.