Bob Forward's own film company: Detonation Films

Have you got some cool BW links to tell us about? How about your own website? Let us know here!

Moderators: Nurann, Starath, Sinead, Optimal Optimus Primal, Razor One

Outtsyder
Ultra Poster!
Ultra Poster!

Bob Forward's own film company: Detonation Films

Unread post by Outtsyder »

Some of you might have known about this before, others maybe not. I had actually forgotten about this until I watched the Special Features on my BW Season 1 DVD set. Around the latter portion of the interview with BW Story Editor Bob Forward, a little title caption that reads "Watch Agent 12" shows up in the bottom right corner, while he's talking about a project called "Agent 12."

For those who don't know and/or remember, "Agent 12" was a small-budget short film that "stars" Forward's then-12-year-old son Angus. It's definitely not a multi-million-dollar FX feast, and the acting's not that great, but the idea behind this project was to create a hilariously silly action short... which also allowed for a lot of blowing stuff up (which Bob Forward is fond of doing). It's actually fun to watch, as a little project that Forward worked on after BW was over; showing what you can do with miniatures, props, some imagination, and a lot of things that go "bang".

I had forgotten that Forward actually created his own company, Detonation Films, and dropped the web address at the end of the "Agent 12" short. I checked it out, and you can actually see it online... and even buy it (and other projects by Detonation Films) on DVD!

Here's the main front page:

http://www.detonationfilms.com/

When you pass the front page, you find the heart of the site and all it offers. They've also made an "Agent 12" sequel (which is also available for streaming viewing and for sale on DVD), and they're also selling some visual FX stock footage and a piece of FX hardware called a Thunderpipe (useful for making RL "explosions") for those wanting to produce your own films.

There's also a rather gory-but-comedic 5-minute film called "Kabumei", which is a mock demonstration of a fictitious ancient martial art called Kabumei, "the art of the sharpened grenade" (its actors are all adults). In it, it discusses the use of a hand-held weapon called a kabu-chi, which resembles a sharpened hollow tent stake (the article says kabu is Chinese for "tent stake") that doubles as both a stabbing weapon and an explosive grenade (complete with pull-pin). In other words, the "Kabumei master" stabs the opponent with the sharp end of the kabu-chi, then pulls out the pin, and runs some distance before the fireworks go off. Yes, it's twisted, though done in a humorous way. But if you're really squeamish about blood and "exploding humans" on screen, I wouldn't recommend seeing it. But if you do see it, you'll notice a familiar name as the Narrator in the opening credits. 8)

Outtsyder
"We can't ignore the danger. We must conquer it."
- G1 Optimus Prime
"Power flows to the one who knows how. Desire alone is not enough."
- G1 Megatron