"Knight of the Wolf" (HOPEFULLY THE LAST OF IT!)

Post any fics/stories/poems/scribblings here.

Moderators: Nurann, Starath, Sinead, Optimal Optimus Primal, Razor One

7Knight-Wolf

"Knight of the Wolf" (HOPEFULLY THE LAST OF IT!)

Unread post by 7Knight-Wolf »

Oh look, these tiny web pages made me split up my fanfic into THREE DIFFERENT PARTS even though it was SUPPOSED to be a STANDLONE! Here's the third try to finish my story. ~7K-W
At last! Knight scrambled above the cliff. He did it! He made it! But it had taken several hours. Sounds of battle now reached his ears clearly. What if Blackarachnia was in trouble? The silver wolf looked at his surroundings. He had climbed up a cliff, and was now on the crag’s flat top. There was a pond a yard or so off, no doubt formed by a spring. Straight ahead there was a twenty-foot gorge, and on the other side of the gorge was The Plateau!

Knight gasped. There were ten Transformers fighting on the plateau! One of them was Depth Charge, the “brother” Blackarachnia had talked about. Wait, where was he going? As knight watched, Depth Charge disappeared behind a rock. OH! Knight remembered suddenly. Where is Darkstar?

Something else caught his eye now. It was among the rocks on the plateau across the gorge. This thing was blue, red, metallic—“Blackarachnia!” exclaimed Knight. He threw up his head and howled, for no reason other than his joy at seeing her.

“Silverbolt!” Blackarachnia shouted. She started making her way toward the edge of the gorge. Knight did the same. The chasm was separating them.

They looked at each other from across the gorge. “Hang on, I’ll jump,” said Knight.

“Uh, you’re not any less of a bone-head, are you?” Blackarachnia asked, smiling. “Just hold on to your fur a minute and I’ll find an easier way to cross.”

“Ha! I’ll not wait so long to see you,” Knight told her. He backed up so as to have some distance for a running start, and then bounded towards the gorge.

Blackarachnia watched him go. He was disfigured, maybe, but that made him no less graceful. She could imagine the eagle wings and talons on him as he jumped.

Whoosh! “Ugn!” Suddenly a shot from somewhere got Knight in mid-air. It hit him, throwing him off his balance, and he fell downwards.

Blackarachnia gasped. “What…? NO! Silverbolt!” she shouted.

Depth Charge stood behind a large boulder, one eye closed and holding his blaster-gun. He looked on-edge.

“Again,” said Darkstar.

“I already hit him,” said Depth Charge.

“Yes, I know!” the black canine snapped. “But isn’t there another one out there?”

“There’s nine other ones out there,” Depth Charge retorted. “You hired to me to shoot every bot on the planet?”

“I mean the one by the cliff edge!” Darkstar told him impatiently. “The femme!”

“Can’t,” said Depth Charge, shortly. He knew that somehow or other Blackarachnia would be killed, but surely not by him, right? Depth Charge was convinced that Silverbolt did not control the vortex after all—it was this black wolf, Darkstar. Besides, Optimus and Blackarachnia were foolish for believing that he was alive after they saw his spark rise out of his body. So that silvery, disfigured wolf he had just shot had to be an ordinary wolf—one he could shoot down. But he couldn’t hit Blackarachnia. She was like his sister, although he hated himself for thinking it.

“You’re not going to chicken out?” asked Darkstar in surprise. “I thought you cared about Omicron. You want to get it back, don’t you? Star-base Rugby is worth a couple of maximal slag-heaps.”

“That’s not very maximal talk,” said Depth Charge. “Anyway, we can finish her later. I’ve got a crab to deal with. X has gotta die first. I threw him down the abyss already, but I’ve gotta make sure he dies. There’s a roundabout way down to the bottom of the cliff. I’ll take it. You…” Depth Charge forced himself to say it, “you can get rid of the spider yourself.”

“Well and good,” said the black wolf.

Blackarachnia stood at the edge of the cliff. She was dumbstruck. She couldn’t believe it—she couldn’t move, she couldn’t think—Silverbolt could not have fallen. He couldn’t survive that fall. Maybe there was a ledge. Yes, maybe Silverbolt landed on a ledge!

“Slag it, how do I get down?” she thought aloud.

“Here, let me assist you!” Blackarachnia turned around just in time to see a large, black wolf pouncing at her. It was the same one that had attacked her before. His weight was thrust against her, and she lost her balance. She felt herself tottering backward—there was nothing but air below her—she was falling, watching the canine’s leering face above her get smaller and smaller.

As she scraped past a rock sticking out of the cliff, Blackarachnia’s sense came back to her. Transforming into beast mode, the she-spider clung onto the cliff-face. How long she could stay here without falling, she had no idea.

It was foggy and the air was thick, and it was still night. Knight opened his eyes slowly, and then wished he hadn’t. Right above him was a pair of fierce, crazy, green optics. They looked familiar.

“Hmm, what have we here?” the owner of the optics asked. He was a huge robot, with mandibles for a mouth and several legs attached to his back. The name Rampage came to Knight’s mind. “A beast of some sort?” the big robot went on. “Oh yes, you are a wolf. I knew someone who could transform into a winged wolf…but he died. Your fate will be the same.” He spoke calmly, almost soothingly, but with a mocking and violent nature behind it that would make anyone shudder. “Yes, that Silverbolt was lucky. He died quickly. You will not be so fortunate.”

Knight wondered how he had survived the fall. He rolled over onto his side, and found that he almost rolled off a cliff. So, he thought, this was a ledge, and a very broad one at that. But he was lying perilously close to the edge, and Rampage was watching his every move.

Rampage’s hand came down and lightly touched Knight’s fur. He shuddered. “Aw, a little wolf pup, have we,” said Rampage, “all alone in the world?” His fingers went dangerously near Knight’s throat.

Snarling, Knight grabbed Rampage’s hand between his teeth and shook it in his mouth. Rampage withdrew his hand quickly. “Bad dog,” he said. “Is that any way to treat a guest?”

Knight realized for the first time why he couldn’t move very much. Rampage was holding him down by his back legs.

“What,” Rampage went on, “are you giving up? It’s true you can’t escape, but it’s so dull when the quarry has no spirit. No terror, just hopelessness.”

Hopelessness? No, Knight thought. Blackarachnia was alive. What was he doing down here when he could be with her? There was still a lot of fight left in him. “Sir,” said Knight, his voice dripping with anger and disgust, “get your inferior hands away from me at once.”

Rampage gasped. He was utterly shocked. That sounded just like Silverbolt! Knight used this moment of surprise to act. He squirmed around and savagely bit Rampage’s foot which was holding him down. Rampage released him. Knight sprung backward, free.

“Ah, that’s better!” Rampage said with amusement. “Lots of spirit, it makes the killing more fun!”

“I assure you,” growled Knight, “that the only one dying will be you. And please you to know that I take no pleasure in the suffering of others. I certainly won’t miss you, but neither will I enjoy your death.”

“That’s very reassuring,” Rampage nodded. “I’m afraid I can’t give you anything so comforting, but I can give you this.” The crab-bot took out his cannon/blaster.

“No wait!” Knight warned him. “Use that thing and you’ll make the ledge fall! It’ll kill us both, Rampage!”

“My spark is invincible!” Rampage laughed.

Knight ran forward lightning fast, got his strength up, and leapt straight up into the air. His teeth locked around Rampage’s blaster. Rampage was laughing again, and shaking his gun-arm wildly to loose the canine parasite which clung to him. Knight would not let go. Rampage shouted angrily, and hurled the gun, with Knight still clinging to it, off the ledge.

Knight released the blaster and held to the edge of the ledge. The gun fell down. Furious that the wolf was still alive, Rampage charged at him. Knight stood his ground, waiting. Here was his chance. Rampage charged to the edge, Knight darted swiftly between his legs, and pushed the crab-bot from behind. Rampage shrieked as he fell off the border of the ledge.

“There sure are a lot of people falling off cliffs around here,” Knight commented. He began to look for a way off the ledge, promising himself that he WOULD get back to Blackarachnia.

Then suddenly—“Ugn!—”the horrible ache came back to his chest. Now that he knew he was a transformer, Knight realized that the pain was coming from his spark. It was horrible—the ache had never been this bad before, except that one time when he had passed out in front of Darkstar. But he had to keep fighting.

Something compelled him to transform. But I have endeavored to transform before, and it did not work. On the other hand, when I tried before I did not believe I was a transformer. Blackarachnia wanted me to change form. I can do it.

“Knight, maximize!” the wolf said. There was no change. Oh yes, he remembered, I have to say Silverbolt. “Ahem. Silverbolt, maximize!” This time he did change. What he looked like, he did know, but he guessed he looked similar, if not identical, to that Silverbolt person he had seen from the past.

Suddenly Knight felt very weak. The pain was strong, and he had not had any energon nor been in an R Chamber for days. He lay down.

Knight heard someone breathing. He sat up again, and realized that Darkstar was standing above him. “Hey, Knight. You look like scrap.”

“I feel like it too,” Knight said, standing up. “Well, I’m glad you’ve come, Darkstar. I thought I’d tell you that I still want to be your friend, and Brent’s as well; but my place is with the maximals. I’ll make sure they don’t hurt any of you on purpose. Darkstar, it—”

Suddenly Knight felt a blast of hot firepower hit him square in the face. The force of it made him fall down. He opened his eyes weakly. Knight’s mouth dropped open. Darkstar was blowing out fire from his mouth!

“I’m a special breed of wolf,” Darkstar smiled. “You might call it a…Transformer.” Then Darkstar transformed. He was now a tall, slim, and strong-looking robot, obviously with the power equivalent of a Transmetal 2, but resembling an Original due to the dark fur covering most of his body. His face looked similar to Silverbolt’s, only darker, with a very sharp chin, thick optic arches, and ice-cold blue eyes.

Knight could only stare. All this time, Darkstar had been one of them? Darkstar laughed at his expression. Knight had heard the wolf-bot chuckle before, but never a cold, loud, insolent laugh like this. Without waiting a moment after he transformed, Darkstar drew out a pair of twin pistol-sized blasters in the shape of wolf heads. Still laughing, he fired both of them at Knight.

This was worse than the fire. Knight tottered backwards, struggled to keep his balance, and fell forward. He landed on his hands and knees, breathless. Darkstar kicked him to the ground.

“You—you’re a transformer! All this time…I don’t understand,” Knight muttered.

“You never do understand anything, Silverbolt,” Darkstar sighed. “Of course I am a transformer! How could I not be? How could my teeth rip through metal if I was an ordinary wolf, huh? And that night you fought the spider interloper, the shot that came out of nowhere, I fired it. And how did I get up that sheer cliff? Easy, I flew. Anyway, do me a favor and tell me how you got out of the vortex after I closed The Window!”

“I don’t know,” Knight groaned. “The same thing that causes my spark to hurt, that binds me to my noblese obligue, as you put it. But what that thing is…I don’t know. I can’t remember.”

“Then you’re of no use to me,” said Darkstar. “Any last words?”

“W-why?” Knight asked.

“Why what?” asked Darkstar impatiently.

“Why are you against me, Darkstar?”

The wolf-bot groaned. “First of all, don’t call me Darkstar anymore. My real name is Black-comet, and I’m a scientist of Omicron. Anyhow, why am I against you? Because you’re useless to me. Anything else?”

“Yes,” Knight grunted. “…Who am I?—Knight, or Silverbolt?”

“You’re Silverbolt, of course,” Darkstar (now called Black-comet) growled. “But you’ve had your memory tracks messed up. Perhaps you’d like to hear the story? Well, I control a vortex. I can go in and out of the vortex whenever I want, and I can pull other people into the vortex in areas of gravitational disorientation. I am a predacon; hence my goal is dominating others. I thought turning time for my own purposes would be a good way to do that, but…the vortex has its unpredictable danger. Naturally, I could not put myself in that peril. I needed someone else to go for me.”

“You coward,” said Knight grimly.

Black-comet smiled. “You’ll pay for that in due time.” He cleared his throat and went on. “So, here I was on earth watching you maximals and predacons. My energy signature cannot be picked up when I am beast mode, so I follow maximals around sometimes, waiting an opportunity to hire a bot. I followed you and a spider one day. There was a rockslide which supposedly killed you. The sentimental maximals left your body in a little cave and went to their base. Your spark left your body. Then, I saw that your spark was not going wherever sparks go when they leave transformer bodies. Your spark began to follow the maximals to their base. I decided this was my opportunity and I grabbed your spark and put it back in your body. I made some changes to your beast mode—”

“You!” Knight exclaimed wrathfully. “You made me disfigured like this?”

Black-comet nodded. “Yes. I took off your wings, tail, and talons.”

Knight grimaced. “You’re disgusting.”

Black-comet swept a quick bow. “Thank you, sir. Anyway, I made sure your memory circuits were overwritten, and that you would feel very little pain when you awakened. Unfortunately, this did not work so well. You have those unexplained spark-aches, and despite the fact that your memory was overwritten, you still hold to your code of honor. I can’t understand it. It makes no logical sense. It is equally nonsensical that you are able to transform, since the operations I preformed to prevent it were successful. All in all, there are some unexplained questions, but the fact is: you have to die. I don’t need you; I’ve got a new assistant now.”

“Oh no, you don’t!” Depth Charge shouted. He had flown up from below. “After I heard that bunch of slag about turning time for your own purposes just now, do you think I’ll be stupid enough to work for you? You underestimate me. You told me you would go back and change what happened on Omicron—you lying wuss!” Depth Charge aimed his blaster at the wolf-bot.

Black-comet turned a somersault to evade the ray’s torpedoes, then, rising to his feet, shot at the manta-ray’s jets.

Depth Charge fell downward, but grasped the edge of the ledge. Chuckling, Black-comet walked over to him. He stomped ferociously on Depth Charge’s hands. Depth Charge shouted and let go. The wolf-bot laughed. “There goes another. Is falling off cliffs the latest trend around here?”

“You should know,” said Knight; “you’re the one who pushes them off.”

“Oh yes,” Black-comet sighed irritably. “Now I’ve got to deal with YOU. You’ve heard all this, so even if my new employee quit, you still have to die.” Black-comet turned to face Knight, and shot again.

“Hey, wolf-brains!” a voice shouted. Black-comet turned to see Blackarachnia, hanging off the cliff face a few yards above. “Nobody does that to my love!” She shot a round of sticky webbing around the wolf-bot. Then Blackarachnia dropped off the wall and landed beside Knight.

Black-comet struggled, and managed to rip one hand free of the webbing. He pulled an energon sword out from a scabbard which hung on his back, and cut himself free with it. “Spider-femme!” he shouted. “I have this special recipe…for decapitated arachnids!” He slashed at her.

Blackarachnia dropped down on her knees to avoid the swipe, them swung her legs around, kicking the wolf-bot’ shins and making him fall. She lunged for the sword, but he saw her coming and slashed again. Blackarachnia leapt upward and evaded the slice.

Knight struggled to his feet, almost blinded by the pain Black-comet had inflicted. The pain in Knight’s spark, however, had ceased as soon as Blackarachnia came. The warrior wolf stumbled over to save his lady.

“So, you’re the one behind all this, aren’t’cha, big guy?” Blackarachnia asked mockingly, struggling for control of the sword-hilt. “I thought you would be a little tougher. Bots these days: boring. No competition.”

“How’s this for competition?!” Black-comet roared, and shoved her off the sword. He now had complete control of it.

The wolf-bot sliced a downward stroke, which Blackarachnia easily dodged. The blade still on the ground, Blackarachnia stomped on it hard, breaking it into two shards. As Blackarachnia leaned over to grab her half the sword, Black-comet took his half and thrust directly at her.

“No!” Knight shouted, jumping between them.

“Silverbolt!” Blackarachnia screamed. When she looked up, he was standing in front of Darkstar with the energon sword sticking through him. She turned to Black-comet, eyes flaming. “You—”

She was cut off as Black-comet pulled the sword out of Knight with a jerk. Face twisted in pain, Knight grunted, moaned, and fell to the ground face first. Blackarachnia stood, speechless. Black-comet turned the warrior over so he was looking at the sky. Black-comet smiled once more. “Again, any last words?”

Knight struggled to say something. “Blackarachnia…” Knight muttered. “I…figured it out. The connector…the root…I know…what it is…”

“That’s very nice,” said Black-comet; “goodbye.” He thrust his sword downward, and stabbed right through Knight’s spark. Knight’s eyes went dark. UNIT SILVERBOLT OFFLINE. SPARK DETERIORATING.

Blackarachnia screamed. Silverbolt was gone, this time for good.

Black-comet turned to her, wearing the same leering smile. “Your turn, femme!” he growled, and lunged forward with the sword.

Blackarachnia backed up a little, but tripped and fell. Black-comet stood over her, and touched her throat with the tip of the energon sword. “Say goodbye to your competition,” the wolf-bot laughed.

“Alright: goodbye!” came a familiar voice. An explosion lit up behind Black-comet, and he fell backwards. Blackarachnia lay where she was, watching, but knowing nothing would make her care. Someone came out of the smoke, lifted Black-comet up by the neck, and said, “You will not lay a finger on my love.”

The stranger threw Black-comet to the ground. The wolf-bot, still holding his sword, slashed viciously at the stranger, but the latter wrenched the sword out of his grip and stabbed him. Black-comet fell backwards with an energon blade protruding out of his spark chamber, dead. So that stranger had killed Black-Comet: Blackarachnia could care less. It didn’t matter now. Silverbolt was gone.

What had the fuzore said before he went offline? He said he had “discovered the root.” What root? Oh yes, she remembered, Silverbolt said there was one connector that held up the universe, and what Blackarachnia and Silverbolt felt for each other was a tiny fragment of that power. The name for that feeling…she had forgotten. And she didn’t care.

Despite the spider’s carelessness and dumbstruck despair, she wondered who the stranger was—the stranger who had rescued her from Black-comet just now. She began slowly to look up. As she brought her head up, she remembered something. Silverbolt’s voice said: I know this feeling well—it’s the feeling that binds all hearts and holds all memory—but I’ve forgotten its name. Blackarachnia heard her own voice reply, Its name is love.

The connector! Blackarachnia realized. Its name is love. She looked up, and could scarcely believe what she saw. Tears came to her eyes, for about the millionth time in these past few days. But these were not tears of grief. This was joy. “S—S—Silverbolt!” she exclaimed, her heart all in that one shout.

It was true. The stranger who had just saved her, completely healed with wings in place and shining armor polished to perfection, was Silverbolt. Blackarachnia blessed those heaven-sent wings.

Blackarachnia ran to him, her feet finding a strength she didn’t know she had. Silverbolt was waiting for her, with outstretched arms. She fell into those arms, and they closed about her. At last, she was where she wanted to be most! She laid her head against his warm chest and put her arms around him.

Home at last.

Silverbolt, the fuzore thought. Yes, that is my name. His memory was back. He remembered everything now. Blackarachnia smiled; this was her heaven on earth. Now, she thought, if he would just say that one corny line…

“Blackarachnia,” Silverbolt whispered fervently, “oh, dark poison of my heart!”

Blackarachnia laughed. Or maybe she was crying, she couldn’t tell.

“But…Silverbolt,” Blackarachnia asked, “how?”

“It all makes sense now,” said Silverbolt, “how my spark didn’t go to the matrix after the rockslide. It was following you. Don’t you see?—our sparks are bound together. My spark was not extinguished when Black-comet stabbed it a moment ago, because it had to be with your spark. That connector bound our sparks, and it even looks like it completely healed me. Even if most of my memory circuits were overwritten—our sparks hold all our memories forever. Inter-bound sparks…that is why we have both been in pain; our sparks are in pain when they are not together.”

“Well,” Blackarachnia sighed, “guess that means I’m stuck with ya, Rover.” She reached up and ran her hand along his face. “You’ll never know how I missed you.”

“Yes I will,” said Silverbolt. “Because I felt it too.” He bent his head down and kissed her.

“You’re hopelessly sappy, Silverbolt,” Blackarachnia smiled.

Silverbolt laughed: a sound which made all the troubles of the world vanish before Blackarachnia’s eyes. There is great strength in inter-bound sparks, she remembered Cheetor telling her. More comfortable than she had ever been in her life, Blackarachnia relaxed in Silverbolt’s arms. Pure, strong, and fast, she thought; with the heart of a true wolf.

Silverbolt threw back his head and howled the victory cry of a wolf.

“Dream by night, wish by day,
Love begins this way,
Love, it starts, when open hearts,
Touch and sing

And love, it seems, makes flying dreams
So hearts could soar;
Heaven-sent, these wings were meant,
To prove once more
That love is the key. Love is the key.”

THE END

(Song By Paul Williams ...7K-W claims no rights.)
Blazemane
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Unread post by Blazemane »

Your ending was quite inspired. Great story, one of the better fanfiction's out there actually. Very nice job!
I understand... you are, after all, a predacon.

[img]http://www.bwint.net/memberfanclubterrorsaur.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.bwint.net/bannersbfanclub2.jpg[/img]
7Knight-Wolf

Unread post by 7Knight-Wolf »

Blazemane wrote:Your ending was quite inspired. Great story, one of the better fanfiction's out there actually. Very nice job!
Thank you so much for reading it. :) Knight of the Wolf is my best fanfic yet, but I'm hoping to improve my other stories by upping the emotion. Since I'm not especially gifted with writing gripping action sequences, I try to write about character development and emotion to make up for it. Hopefully I'm getting better!