Superheroes

Where you can post announcements and other cool things. Doesn't have to be BW-related.

Moderators: Nurann, Starath, Sinead, Optimal Optimus Primal, Razor One

Alak
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Unread post by Alak »

Superheroes come from all sorts of media so it's ok if you don't know comic books all that well. A hero you see on TV is no lesser than one you read in a book.
NaitoKage
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Unread post by NaitoKage »

Super heroes eh? I've read a few, I tried to get into that sorta thing as a kid and again a bit later on in life. Honestly only comics I enjoyed later on were involved with Deadpool like many others. Probably since I've grown tired of many of the serious drama type characters. So here's a list from two different perspectives.

Kid NK:

Spider-man: I always found this character cool, even now I try to read Spider-man's comics but.. his writers are awful and Marvel is insane. I used to watch the cartoon alot and played the videogames, which had a greater impact on my cousin as he's still a massive Spider-man/Venom fan, to the point of where he nearly cryed when I got him a red version of Maximum Carnage for Christmas, something his parents didn't get him for christmas when he was 7 because they saw the cover and thought it was too violent. Having known the forlorn feeling with videogames, in my case a Sega saturn which I got later and found quickly in the first half hour of playing some crappy games on it I had more fun with it then I ever did my N64(Least I had a playstation) I decided to try to pass that on to him. Needless to say, it was a Merry Christmas.

Batman:Another character I always liked as a kid, being a tech freak as I am and his gadgets, fighting skills, detective skills.. he's a rather iconic character, which I even dressed up as for halloween, as did one of my teachers who spent like 100 dollars on a mask and still put the cape on wrong.. 0.o

Wolverine: Wolverine is hard not to like, he was an Anti-hero sure but there is few heroes you would see that wouldn't want him on their side. His character reminded me alot of my father though.. and still does as anyone who asks me how my father acts, Wolverine,House MD , or a Demonic black bear tend to come to mind as descriptions.

Adult NK:

Deadpool: Deadpool comics are as the first writer once said, like writing for a Bugs Bunny cartoon. Off the wall, random, and overall intended to be light hearted with some dark humor, though there were also points in his story which strangely even plucked at my heart strings, like his battle to save the earth only to not gain any credit for it which a brainwashed Captain America took instead. He tried to change his ways and go on the right path, but in the end nothing he did went right.

Tentai Senshi Sunred: Not a conventional American hero I know, but another comic/show I enjoyed alot. SunRed more or less is a strange parody on japanese style power rangers or masked rider, or any other "Henshin Hero" as they're sometimes called. SunRed's case is he's more or less given up on the hero business focused on living with his girlfriend in an apartment and sold off his motorcycle, he wears normal clothing and talks like a thug but always wears his hero mask. Generally he's a jerk. His enemies however still see him as a thing in the way of taking over the world and constantly challenge him with monsters of the week, the evil organization strangely well liked by the entire community as they do everything from fundraisers and charities to PTA and helping people throughout the town because at heart they are really nice guys. Also strangely while heroes make no money off defeating villains, the villain's organizations even has dental plans. It's sometimes hinted, specially in the opening on the tv series that Sunred is this amazing ultimate powerful hero, but you never see him do any of that stuff, mostly because he's so strong he doesn't need the giant robot, lasers, or anything else. Just his fist. Which.. it's kinda funny compared to the average japanese hero (Current Kamen Rider has like.. 15 different abilities/forms though I think the most was V3 who had 26 different abilities inside his body. Yeah, they go overboard.)

Kamen Rider:
In General I like ALOT of the Kamen Rider series, but the first series has always interested me. It's pretty awful by today's standards as it feels like a film project done by students in the 70s on a shoe string budget stolen from the shoes of a homeless man but even with it's goofiness and awful effects, it's still interesting and poses some character structure that would be relevant to today's audiences. The series starts off with Hongo Takashi, an unrealistic man with a IQ of 600 who is athletic and enjoys motor sports, he's targeted by the evil organization Shocker and converted into a cyborg, but before they brainwash him he manages to escape. He then has to deal with the dark realization of having a cyborg body and it's consequences as he struggles to cling to his humanity even if he loses control for an instant he could easily crush the bones in any of his loved ones he tries to console. The series was remade into a movie not too long ago and localized as Kamen Rider the first, which is worth at least a netflix view. But avoid the second movie.. it makes no sense no matter how you watch it.
Dannn Sanew

Unread post by Dannn Sanew »

Darkhawk, Sleepwalker, Star-Lord, Cloak & Dagger. Been getting alot of their old stuff recently.
Alak
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Unread post by Alak »

Found out not too long ago that Marvel killed off the Human Torch. He's not in my top favorites list, but WHAT THE HECK?!
NaitoKage
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Unread post by NaitoKage »

Aw, that kinda sucks.. *reads Wikipedia*
After a major battle with Doom, Reed attempted to claim Latveria for the Fantastic Four, an act that turned the United States government and his own team against them. This led to Ben Grimm's death and the subsequent break-up of the rest of the team. Johnny took to fixing cars for a living and hallucinating heavily that Ben was still alive. Of course, Ben's death did not last long. Johnny and his family actually traveled to Heaven, where they met God himself, who looked like Jack Kirby.[

.... That hurt just reading it. Nevermind. The Human torch is better off dead, then they can stop writing him in stupid things..
GoktimusPrime

Unread post by GoktimusPrime »

I've never been much of a DC fan, but I've been watching some DC Universe animated movies recently -- Green Lantern First Flight and Justice League Crisis On Infinite Earths... and I gotta say after watching those, my favourite super hero would definitely have to be...

YEAH BABY! :D
Image Transformers Collection Count: 1458 (UCM)
Alak
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Unread post by Alak »

***NECRO BUMP***

With superhero movies coming out this summer, I figured we could sure revive this topic. New comic book writers come and go, characters change, and our favorites list changes with the times.

I've been following the new Nightwing 52 and I must say he's definitely Top 5 on my list now. It's been a while since I've read his stuff, but after watching Young Justice, rewatching old DCUO Batman, and even playing as him as a Batman Arkham City DLC character, I found myself really digging the character. On a physical level, he's essentially on par with Batman now and I predict that he'll even surpass his mentor in a few years. His internal monologues are funny and it shows that despite having an origin story similar to Bruce Wayne, Nightwing actually grew up to be a pretty amiable guy. Granted, having Batman as his adopted father meant that he's still prone to moments of paranoia, but he's not as antisocial as the former within the hero community. On the contrary, he's actually a fantastic leader for other heroes.

***SPOILERS***

I'm a bit worried, though. In the most recent Nighting issue, he just got stabbed by 4 throwing knives (3 in chest, 1 in back) by his apparently immortal great-grandfather (yes, I know how silly that sounds but it's written so well!). I don't know how Kyle Higgins is going to write his way out of this one...