In need of a beta reader

Post any fics/stories/poems/scribblings here.

Moderators: Nurann, Starath, Sinead, Optimal Optimus Primal, Razor One

Darkshadow14
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

In need of a beta reader

Unread post by Darkshadow14 »

I am in need of a beta reader of the first in a new series. This is a story about Rampage. Haha of course. Well actually X :p But anyways I need a reader.

Compliments, commentsare welcome, as well as suggestions.

Reply here if yah wanna be a reader. But please be serious. I'm very proud of this so far :) And not harsh :)
JazZeke
Location: Arizona, where the grass is always greener... on the other side of the state line!

Unread post by JazZeke »

If you can't find a volunteer, I do that on cheap commission, if you're interested.
Night-Hunter
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
Location: Looking for my sanity... *sigh* Still can't find it.

Unread post by Night-Hunter »

If you can't find a volunteer, I do that on cheap commission, if you're interested.
Wow. Really? You're actually gonna have him pay you to look over a few spelling errors if he takes your offer. *rolls eyes*
"The enemy of my enemy is my bro."
Sapphire
Site Admin

Unread post by Sapphire »

Historically, the community has always pitched in for each other when it comes to beta-reading fanfics. At one point when the volume of fics sent to BWINT was high the site had a team of (non-paid) beta readers each working with 3 or 4 authors. Friends proofread each other's fics and so forth. It's much quieter these days so it might be a little more difficult finding a volunteer beta reader. You might have more luck in the Console, Dark. It's where this thread belongs, too, so I will move it there.

JezzZeke is entitled to offer to beta-read for a fee. It is, arguably, a "service" and not everyone wants to do it free of charge. But if you guys are gonna do any literary "business", please do it via PM. Don't want to set any advertising trends here for obvious reasons! :)
[url=http://www.bwint.net/fanclubrattrap.htm][img]http://www.bwint.net/memberrattrapclub1.jpg[/img][/url] || [img]http://www.bwint.net/fanclubrampagebanner1.jpg[/img]
JazZeke
Location: Arizona, where the grass is always greener... on the other side of the state line!

Unread post by JazZeke »

Night-Hunter wrote:
Wow. Really? You're actually gonna have him pay you to look over a few spelling errors if he takes your offer. *rolls eyes*
You've certainly asked for my help often enough. :roll:
Sapphire wrote:JezzZeke is entitled to offer to beta-read for a fee. It is, arguably, a "service" and not everyone wants to do it free of charge. But if you guys are gonna do any literary "business", please do it via PM. Don't want to set any advertising trends here for obvious reasons! :)
Understood. Thanks. :)
Night-Hunter
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

You've certainly asked for my help often enough.
Yes, that is true, and I thank you for it, but I still think asking some one to pay you to look over a few spelling errors is really selfish.
Alak
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Unread post by Alak »

Proof-reading is much more than just fixing grammatical and spelling errors. It's the beta reader's responsibility to also point out flaws or inconsistencies in the story, as well. If the story becomes too cliche, too predictable, too confusing, or even too boring, then it's the reader's job to make that clear. The author seeks a proof reader because the latter is an preview of how the real audience might react.

Darkshadow, since no one's offered yet, I'll be willing to read your story for you. I'll be honest when I say that it may take a few days due to the amount of school work I have, but I will get it done. PM me the story if that works for you.
Darkshadow14
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Unread post by Darkshadow14 »

Odd I have never heard of having somoene ask for a fee to beta read. I guess that's cool, but I'm not looking to pay someone to help me with a favor.

Alak, I will send yah a message.
JazZeke

Unread post by JazZeke »

Night-Hunter wrote:
You've certainly asked for my help often enough.
Yes, that is true, and I thank you for it, but I still think asking some one to pay you to look over a few spelling errors is really selfish.
Believe it or not, there are people who make a living at it. They're called editors. Editing is a service that takes time, and to use a cliche, time is money. And I am trying to get into the writing industry any way that I can; this would be as good a first step as any.
Alak wrote:Darkshadow, since no one's offered yet, I'll be willing to read your story for you. I'll be honest when I say that it may take a few days due to the amount of school work I have, but I will get it done. PM me the story if that works for you.
Damn you! :P
Night-Hunter
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Believe it or not, there are people who make a living at it. They're called editors. Editing is a service that takes time, and to use a cliche, time is money. And I am trying to get into the writing industry any way that I can; this would be as good a first step as any.
I know that, but what I meant to say is that some one who isn't an editor asking for money to check over some ones work is a selfish ask.
JazZeke

Unread post by JazZeke »

Night-Hunter wrote:
I know that, but what I meant to say is that some one who isn't an editor asking for money to check over some ones work is a selfish ask.
Not any more selfish than asking someone to proofread their entire novel for free.
Night-Hunter
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

I'm gonna end this before it gets into a full out fight, so I'm backing down.
Alak
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Unread post by Alak »

I think I'll speak for both writers and editors everywhere when I say:

"Everyone's gotta start somewhere."