The Pinnacle

Post any fics/stories/poems/scribblings here.

Moderators: Nurann, Starath, Sinead, Optimal Optimus Primal, Razor One

JazZeke
Location: Arizona, where the grass is always greener... on the other side of the state line!

The Pinnacle

Unread post by JazZeke »

The Other Side of The Matrix. Rhinox had hoped never to see this place, at least not for a long time. But then very few, if any were privileged to glimpse into the hereafter while still technically alive. That was the interesting thing about Cybertronian metaphysics; they actually had tangible evidence of their "god" all around them, and scattered amongst other dimensions of Reality.

He lamented the fact that he could not stay and learn more, seek out notable Autobots from history and learn from them, but he had such a narrow window, and his limited time had to be devoted to the earnest task at hand. He searched "high" and "low," even though such directions had no meaning here. Somehow moving about faster than his mind could comprehend, he realized this place had all the qualities of a dream.

Well, Rhinox was a master of dreams. In his youth he had discovered he had been "touched;" his dreams sometimes came true. That had opened his mind to a whole new world, a revelation that had set him down this path of science and the paranormal. Realizing how things worked here, Rhinox finally stopped searching and simply willed himself beside the one he sought.

He sensed a familiar presence immediately. Familiar, yet different – his old friend, his stalwart ally and respected leader had changed. He was at peace. Rhinox hesitated, wondering if he really had the right to do this, to ask this of him. But the stakes were too high. The lives of trillions, if not more depended on them. He would not ask this otherwise.

[Optimus Primal,] he did not speak so much as he thought.

[Rhinox?] a voiceless voice resonated around him, so familiar. [Have you passed on too?] So serene, so at ease. There was no sadness in leaving the mortal plane. Rhinox understood now; there was nothing to fear from "death."

In that light, what happened back there didn't seem to matter much any more. They could all just ascend, rise above such petty concerns as materialism and power. But what of the unborn generations whose existence Megatron would erase? Everyone had a right to exist. [No, old friend. I'm not dead. I need you to come back… come back with me.]

[Why?] The question was not borne of coldness or indifference; it was more the innocent confusion of a pure youth. [My time in that plane is over, finished.]

Rhinox balked, struggling for an explanation. [The Beast Wars are on prehistoric Earth. Megatron's raised the stakes. For everything that ever was, you must come back. They need you… We need you.]

Something stirred in Primal's essence, galvanized. The old soldier, the great hero, had heard the call of duty. But Rhinox also sensed distress.

[Why me?] Optimus Primal asked. [Why, amongst all the greatest heroes of Cybertron, do you pick me?]

[Because only you can lead us. Because only you can stop your enemies. Because… you have been and always will be my friend.]

Primal paused, contemplating. Rhinox sensed his window of time closing. He couldn't force Primal to come back.

[I spoke to HIM, you know.]

Rhinox immediately knew who Primal referred to. [How was he?]

[Everything that the records say and more.] he answered. [Somehow… he knew me. Said my duty wasn't over. I have a lot to live up to.]

[You need to live to do that,] Rhinox prodded gently.

[I know,] despite lacking corporeal form, Optimus somehow sighed. [So this is what he meant. Lead the way back, old friend. I should have known – the good fight, it never ends!]

With talons wrought of steel/ I tore the heart of doom/ And in one gleaming moment, I saw beyond the tomb/ I stood where no man goes/ Above the din I rose/ Life is amusing/ Though we are losing/ Drowned in tears of awe

Lyrics in description © Kansas, from the song "The Pinnacle" from the album "Masque." Highly recommended.
Alak
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Unread post by Alak »

Before I read the Kansas caption, I actually thought you made Primal start rhyming lol.
JazZeke
Location: Arizona, where the grass is always greener... on the other side of the state line!

Unread post by JazZeke »

Heh! Naw, I just couldn't help throwing those lyrics in because they were so apropos. As I'm sure you've noticed by now I am absolutely obsessed with that band. :P
Alak
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Unread post by Alak »

Shirt and mp3 player told me everything I needed to know :D