Your thoughts on slash?

Post any fics/stories/poems/scribblings here.

Moderators: Nurann, Starath, Sinead, Optimal Optimus Primal, Razor One

Nurann
Site Admin

Unread post by Nurann »

I'd like to take this opportunity to remind all participants that since this is a controversial topic, please remember to be respectful of everyone's opinions. Agreeing to disagree isn't just a cliche; it's damn good policy as well.

Thank you, and have a pleasant weekend everybody.
~Nurannoniel Amruniel ~ Blessed Be~
Alak
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Unread post by Alak »

eves_apple wrote:Canon in TF would mean no romance period, hetero or same-sex, so those who are toting their Canon laws would need to adhere to this. Period, no exceptions.

If you are willing to write hetero couples and still harp on about only wanting what in canonical, then you are a hypocrite. Romance is romance, angst is angst and if a person wants to write believable love between two robots that technically don't have biological organs to call a gender, then so be it; no matter the 'gender'.
I beg to differ. Beast Era alone has three canon couples: Airazor & Tigatron (BW Season 2), Silverbolt & Blackarachnia (BW Season 2 and 3) as well as Rattrap & Botanica (BM Season 2). Here's a link to all the canon couples in the TF universe:

http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Transformer_romance
JazZeke
Location: Arizona, where the grass is always greener... on the other side of the state line!

Unread post by JazZeke »

Night-Hunter wrote:Really? I we are serously having this coversation? Well i love love slash, as long as its tastefully written or drawn.
Except I've seen a slash fic you wrote and it was neither tasteful or in-character. But Megatron raping your OC is a whole 'nother can of worms.
Alak wrote:
eves_apple wrote:Canon in TF would mean no romance period, hetero or same-sex, so those who are toting their Canon laws would need to adhere to this. Period, no exceptions.

If you are willing to write hetero couples and still harp on about only wanting what in canonical, then you are a hypocrite. Romance is romance, angst is angst and if a person wants to write believable love between two robots that technically don't have biological organs to call a gender, then so be it; no matter the 'gender'.
I beg to differ. Beast Era alone has three canon couples: Airazor & Tigatron (BW Season 2), Silverbolt & Blackarachnia (BW Season 2 and 3) as well as Rattrap & Botanica (BM Season 2). Here's a link to all the canon couples in the TF universe:

http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Transformer_romance
Not to mention Arcee's love triangle with Hot Rod and Springer in G1, and Optimus and Elita-1 in G1 and Animated...

Actually I was always disappointed we never got to see more of Tigatron and Airazor as a couple.
Night-Hunter
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
Location: Looking for my sanity... *sigh* Still can't find it.

Unread post by Night-Hunter »

Except I've seen a slash fic you wrote and it was neither tasteful or in-character. But Megatron raping your OC is a whole 'nother can of worms.
Yeah, yeah I know. I can't write tasteful slash, i know. If you had read the intire fic you would have known that Megatron was drunk even though i didn't put it in there until the later chapters. When it comes to canon characters i suck at writing them.
Actually I was always disappointed we never got to see more of Tigatron and Airazor as a couple.
I felt the same way.
"The enemy of my enemy is my bro."
SkyxDB
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Unread post by SkyxDB »

Yeah same here, and unfortunately it's hard to find good fanfics of them as well. At top of my head, I can only think of good fic with them in it.
Optimus and Elita-1 in G1 and Animated...
I love OptimusxElita-1 in G1. I'm kind of sad that they didn't get more screen time together, also sad that Elita-1 and her team didn't appear in more episodes. But as for TFA whether or not Optimus and Elita were together is kind debatable really, because I seen some people point out things that suggest she and Sentinel might have been together before she became Blackarachnia. I'm not for sure which one is more accurate, but meh, either way is fine with me.

Anyway, while I do support the canon pairs, I also like some non-canon pairs. Also I don't see what's wrong with liking non-canon as long as you don't claim that they're canon.
I demand cookies!
mouse

Unread post by mouse »

Some great replies from both sides, with some interesting points raised. Just want to point out that I've never gotten off to the few slash stories I've read (sorry, Megatron, you just don't cut it for me!), and that I've actually found them quite funny. When writing my own story, I spent half the time laughing. Yes, I find TF slash funny (that's normal, right? RIGHT?).

As they're robots and are incapable of reproduction like humans, I don't really see the Transformers' "genders" having any functional purpose. Just aesthetics. I've seen a lot of really good stories (slash & non-slash) that've treated them this way. A particularly good example was one of TFA Starscream & Megatron getting married (a very funny, tongue-in-cheek fic). When Sari protests that they can't wed because they're both men, one of the Autobots replies that Transformers don't have genders the same way humans do. That was, however, my perception in writing my story, and I understand that other people have different views.

Interesting, too, that some of you see it as insulting to the creators of said characters to portray them in an out-of-canon fashion. Personally I'd be flattered if someone wanted to write a fanfiction based off any of my stories, unless it was explicitly smutty for no purpose other than to be smutty.
Not to mention Arcee's love triangle with Hot Rod and Springer in G1,
I watched G1 from whoah to go only a few months ago, and didn't notice this. Either you're reading too much between the lines or (more likely), I'm just thick. :lol:

I'm probably going to get murdered for this, but Nurann, my pairing was Terrorsaur/ Megatron. Why? Terrorsaur/ Waspinator is almost fanon, and it annoyed me, so I wanted to go against the flow. http://www.transfictions.net/tffics/vie ... warning=10 <- that's the end result, "A Study in Scarlet".
SkyxDB
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Unread post by SkyxDB »

Oh I think I know what Megatron/Starscream fic you're talking about. Normally I'm not into that pairing, but I liked that fic. I thought it was really funny.

Also there's nothing wrong with finding slash kind of funny. Heck, I'll admit that there are slash pairs I look up just for laughs.

And on another note, Awww me likey Terrorsaur/Waspiantor. Though I'll admit that a friend of mine did get me into that pairing.
I demand cookies!
JazZeke
Location: Arizona, where the grass is always greener... on the other side of the state line!

Unread post by JazZeke »

Night-Hunter wrote:If you had read the intire fic...
No, thank you. I read enough.
mouse wrote:Some great replies from both sides, with some interesting points raised. Just want to point out that I've never gotten off to the few slash stories I've read (sorry, Megatron, you just don't cut it for me!), and that I've actually found them quite funny. When writing my own story, I spent half the time laughing. Yes, I find TF slash funny (that's normal, right? RIGHT?).
It's so ridiculous I can see where people would find it funny. But I guess I've just spent too long taking these robots seriously, since it just grosses me out.
As they're robots and are incapable of reproduction like humans, I don't really see the Transformers' "genders" having any functional purpose. Just aesthetics. I've seen a lot of really good stories (slash & non-slash) that've treated them this way. A particularly good example was one of TFA Starscream & Megatron getting married (a very funny, tongue-in-cheek fic). When Sari protests that they can't wed because they're both men, one of the Autobots replies that Transformers don't have genders the same way humans do. That was, however, my perception in writing my story, and I understand that other people have different views.
Well, I think they must have SOME form of gender, otherwise female body types would be pointless and silly (ignoring the silliness inherent in sentient alien robots). I believe Blackarachnia and Silverbolt were "mated" in some way that involved their sparks... and maybe offspring sparks can sometimes bud off from such a union. It would give a reason for female robots to have"more prominent upper chasses," as it was worded in the UK comics, since theoretically they would have room to store an offspring spark inside them until a proper body could be built for it.

This is discussion for another thread... but let's just say I'm of the mind that, female robots exist, so they must have gender, and there must be some practical application for the existence of gender.
Not to mention Arcee's love triangle with Hot Rod and Springer in G1,
I watched G1 from whoah to go only a few months ago, and didn't notice this. Either you're reading too much between the lines or (more likely), I'm just thick. :lol:
It was something out of the comics.
Night-Hunter
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
Location: Looking for my sanity... *sigh* Still can't find it.

Unread post by Night-Hunter »

Fine. Then don't judge me just because i can't get Megatron's character right or write tasteful slash.
It's so ridiculous I can see where people would find it funny. But I guess I've just spent too long taking these robots seriously, since it just grosses me out.
I take the robots seriously as well, I respect them deeply and when i write fics with them in it i try my best to keep them in character. Yes add a few funny scenes, if people wrote Transfromers with just the canon characters and no humor or any other element you could think the fics would be boring as watching grass grow. We were giving an Imagination for a reason, that's why people make OC's so they can stir the pot of idea's and plots, other wise it would be the same boring fic over and over with the same drama day after day.
"The enemy of my enemy is my bro."
JazZeke

Unread post by JazZeke »

Night-Hunter wrote:
Fine. Then don't judge me just because i can't get Megatron's character right or write tasteful slash.
I'm not judging you, I'm judging that fic. I didn't need to see more of it to know it was inherently flawed.
I take the robots seriously as well, I respect them deeply and when i write fics with them in it i try my best to keep them in character. Yes add a few funny scenes, if people wrote Transfromers with just the canon characters and no humor or any other element you could think the fics would be boring as watching grass grow. We were giving an Imagination for a reason, that's why people make OC's so they can stir the pot of idea's and plots, other wise it would be the same boring fic over and over with the same drama day after day.
Strawman argument. People can write imaginative, interesting and sometimes amusing stories without smut or forcing characters to act out of personality. My "Transfiction" group on deviantart exists solely to showcase such stories and so far we've amassed an impressively-sized collection of high-quality, in-character, smut-free stories.
mouse

Unread post by mouse »

Well, I think they must have SOME form of gender, otherwise female body types would be pointless and silly (ignoring the silliness inherent in sentient alien robots). I believe Blackarachnia and Silverbolt were "mated" in some way that involved their sparks... and maybe offspring sparks can sometimes bud off from such a union. It would give a reason for female robots to have"more prominent upper chasses," as it was worded in the UK comics, since theoretically they would have room to store an offspring spark inside them until a proper body could be built for it.
Oh, I accept there are other variations just as credible, but my aforementioned view is the one I more or less took in writing my own story. If I write more stories I may polarize male/ female bots more. However, I've only ever seen this topic treated in 3 ways in canon. Firstly, in a comic, Transformers "bud"; they all stand in a circle around one Transformer, and that Transformer creates a new 'former from himself (asexual reproduction). The second version is where they simply build them, like in a production line. In the third type, their bodies are also manually built, and they're given life by the Matrix (or the Cube, ala Bayverse). The latter two versions make the most sense to me, since G1 Shockwave stated that he thought femmes were extinct. I've never seen a version where a female and male bot were required to create outside fan fic.

... err, I think this is all slightly off topic, though?
It was something out of the comics.
Ah, that explains it! The 1980's ones? I've just started reading those now (and loving 'em!).
SkyxDB
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Unread post by SkyxDB »

Well I know in the article I linked too earlier in the thread, I do agree with the point that the TF race would probably be in trouble if femmes were needed to reproduce. Anyway when you consider the fact that there aren't very many femmes, which I think would lead to problems if all of them were only heterosexual.

Anyway I view TFs as an asexual or at least bisexual race. Honestly I imagine that TFs wouldn't really have a problem with same sex relationships.

Heck, just because they can be heterosexual doesn't automatically mean that they can't be either homosexual or bisexual. Besides I once heard that Sunstreaker is gay in one of the comic continuities.

Also I hear it normal for guys who fight side by side in a war normally form some sort bond and the bond can range from brotherly to possibilty more than that. Heck in Ancient Greece they were once okay with homosexuality amoung thier soldiers, because they believed that they would get more fight out of soldier if he was fighting for his lover. Heck, maybe something like that could happen amoung TFs.

But don't get me wrong, even though I like slash, I also the the friendship/brotherly/plantonic relationships are well.
I demand cookies!
JazZeke

Unread post by JazZeke »

Actually the Transformers have always had several options for "reproduction." They can spark a blank shell using the Matrix, vector sigma, or even loading it up with energon and attuning its frequency to that of the Matrix's. And budding, in Ye Days of Olde. What's one more meathod of reproduction (heterosexually) on the pile?

And Sunstreaker being gay was hearsay from Matt Moylan after Dreamwave went out of business. All I can say is thank goodness he never had a chance to make it canon, that would have made the issue of Transformers sexuality even more confusing.
SkyxDB
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Unread post by SkyxDB »

Oh well, in terms of Transformer Reproduction everyone's entitled to have their theories. I do find the spark being put into protoform after it's been made theory believable, but I still where the sparks come from is debatable and there's quite a few theories on that one. Also sometimes i wonder how they were able to make a spark for Omega Supreme in TFA. Though I'm guess there is a possibility they might have used the All Spark for that. Though the thing to put into consideration is, was the All Spark thrown into a random space bridge before or after the Omega Project? But hey like I said there quite a few theories and you're free to pick which ever one sounds the most plausible to you.
And Sunstreaker being gay was hearsay from Matt Moylan after Dreamwave went out of business. All I can say is thank goodness he never had a chance to make it canon, that would have made the issue of Transformers sexuality even more confusing.
That didn't become canon. Awww, dang it! >.<
I demand cookies!
Aesir
Ultra Poster!
Ultra Poster!

Unread post by Aesir »

Hate it, don't understand why people like it, especially with robots
[img]http://i418.photobucket.com/albums/pp265/Oracle_Aesir/Picture067-2.jpg[/img]

[url]http://oracleaesir.deviantart.com[/url]