Your thoughts on slash?

Post any fics/stories/poems/scribblings here.

Moderators: Nurann, Starath, Sinead, Optimal Optimus Primal, Razor One

mouse

Unread post by mouse »

It seems the only form of reproduction that's not canon is one that involves a male/ female bot, as sparking a blank shell with the Matrix, vector sigma, etc. require manual construction of some kind. I imagine it'd be a problem to write in hetero reproduction because there are so few female characters. Seems the only consensus on the issue is that there is no consensus. :lol:

I've no problem with throwing heterosexual reproduction on the pile, but doing so would somewhat deprive you of the "not wanting to insult the character creators" argument (a perfectly valid concern), as this form of reproduction would be as offensive as any other non-canon type.
JazZeke
Location: Arizona, where the grass is always greener... on the other side of the state line!

Unread post by JazZeke »

Well, one has to consider the censorship angle - Hasbro doesn't want to approve anything that would squick out parents, as this is a child's toyline we're talking about here. Nevertheless it is canon that Transformers can have children somehow, since in G1 Quickswitch is Sixshot's son. Blackarachnia and Silverbolt were heavily implied to be mated somehow, since they had that whole empathic connection in Beast Machines.

I'll be the first to admit it's wholly speculation but it does explain a lot. I really don't see how the theory could be more offensive than claiming Jazz and Prowl are gay for each other. I'm not applying noncanon traits to any characters in particular, just speculating on the ramifications of this and that detail scattered through canon.
SkyxDB
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Unread post by SkyxDB »

I'll admit that I do like the Jazz/Prowl pairing, but I like things where they're just friends too. But I consider it be a non-canon pair. I do believe canon wise, the most they have going on between them is just friendship/bromance. But I only like to pair for fun, and like I said, I don't think there's anything wrong with liking a non-canon pair as long as you acknowledge it's not canon. In my opinion even if you too character in a slash pairing, I think it shows you respect the characters if your try the very best you can to keep them character. Though there will be time when OOCness will be debatable. Whether if you're writing a het, slash, or canon/OC you have to stop think how this character(s) would behave if they were in love with someone. So sometimes you've gotta come up with your own interpretation based on what you observe in canon.

But I'll admit they are characters that shouldn't be put in a romantic relationship. Like for example, I don't pair TFA Thundercracker with anyone, because he's all ego and only loves himself.

Though I'll admit every now and then I'm willing to give a pair that seems odd a chance every now and then, because I've actually seen some fanfic writer pull off unlikely pairs pretty well. I think anyone who can pull off an unlikely pair deserves props.

Anyway when it comes down to it. Nothing the fans make is canon. So even though who crack ship really aren't hurting anything. Besides Fandom should be for fun anyway.
I demand cookies!
Alak
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Unread post by Alak »

Just a fun observation here. I noticed that the male fans on BWInt are against slash while the female fans are for it.
JazZeke
Location: Arizona, where the grass is always greener... on the other side of the state line!

Unread post by JazZeke »

Alak wrote:Just a fun observation here. I noticed that the male fans on BWInt are against slash while the female fans are for it.
HA! further evidence that the old stereotype that women are less horny than men is a lie.

And somehow I think the roles would probably still be the same if we were talking about femme-slash.
mouse

Unread post by mouse »

Nevertheless it is canon that Transformers can have children somehow, since in G1 Quickswitch is Sixshot's son. Blackarachnia and Silverbolt were heavily implied to be mated somehow, since they had that whole empathic connection in Beast Machines.
Absolutely, though those two examples don't necessarily have to imply sexual orientations as we know them.

... you know, there isn't really any continuity as to how TFs reproduce (the only consensus is that there's no consensus). My idea on this topic is no more valid than yours.
I'll be the first to admit it's wholly speculation but it does explain a lot. I really don't see how the theory could be more offensive than claiming Jazz and Prowl are gay for each other.
Not at all! :) What I was referring to was the objection to slash earlier in this thread because it isn't canon, to which I said, strictly speaking, heterosexuality isn't canon either, so in that case there'd as "bad" as each other.

And now, some trivia, inspired by the horny comment. In Ye Olde Days of Ancient Greece, it was generally considered that women got a lot more enjoyment out of sex than men. A woman's hair was considered part of her reproductive system (makes you reconsider Paul's admonition to women to cover their hair in a whole new light, doesn't it?), and men had deeper voices because their testicles pulled their vocal chords downward.
SkyxDB
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Unread post by SkyxDB »

Wow that I did not know. :shock:

Anyway I would like to add even though I'm girl I support femmslash as well as slash. Also I've actually found guys on DA who support slash. But of course not all females are into slash. Heck, I actually have a few female friends who don't like it.
I demand cookies!
JazZeke

Unread post by JazZeke »

Getting back to the concept of respecting the characters...

Has anyone stopped to wonder how they might feel about getting slashed? :P
SkyxDB
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Unread post by SkyxDB »

True, mostly likely some characters wouldn't like being slashed. But on the other hand, these characters are fictional. It's not like Megatron himself could hunt us down and kill us just for slashing him.
I demand cookies!
Alak
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Unread post by Alak »

SkyxDB wrote:It's not like Megatron himself could hunt us down and kill us just for slashing him.
Choose your words wisely :twisted:
SkyxDB
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Unread post by SkyxDB »

I just Megs as an example because he gets slashed OP a lot. But I should be safe since I don't slash him with any one. :D

Though in the case of Beast Wars, I can easily picture Scorponok having a one-sided crush on him. XD
I demand cookies!
mouse

Unread post by mouse »

Ew, ew, EEEEWWW!!!! Where's the "I'm about to throw-up" icon?
Tor
Ultra Poster!
Ultra Poster!

Unread post by Tor »

Alak wrote:Just a fun observation here. I noticed that the male fans on BWInt are against slash while the female fans are for it.
nah trick. i tend to skip over slash, funnily enough. though, i usually don't declare it. debates about slash often get ugly [not here though! (:]